Michael Armstrong - Adv.Prof.Dip. in Psch'y, MNCS, MBA and Qualified Supervisor
As an integrative counsellor I can reflect individual needs by adapting therapy to the appropriate model be it person centred, psychodynamic or behavioural. I also practice Comprehensive Resource Model (CRM) therapy, an exciting, innovative model that works by connecting body and brain alongside boosting internal resources to help the client move forward.
I also offer clinical supervision to counsellors who work in the Scottish Borders or Edinburgh areas, the model of counselling they use is not an issue and I can adapt my style of supervision to suit all levels of experience.
If you contact me I can promise that I will:-
1. Attempt to contact you by email or phone within two days
2. Conduct a free 20 minute phone consultation within five days
3. Be able to empathise with your situation and offer responses that will foster confidence and start to establish a trusting relationship
4. Arrange a first appointment to take place within seven days if that's suitable for you
Beginning - first session
Anxiety often affects people attending a first session, this is understandable, especially if it's the first time you've attended counselling. My aim is to use a calm non-judgmental approach to create a safe space to help you to feel comfortable and able to share your issues.
The first session will be an opportunity to:-
1. Get to know each other
2. Establish a trusting relationship for you to be able to talk openly to me
3. Explore what your aims are and how we can work together to meet them
Counselling is usually weekly, hourly sessions, but the amount of weeks can vary depending on your needs, we can agree an estimate but this is always flexible from my perspective.
Middle - this part of the counselling journey is where the therapeutic treatment becomes part of your life. The differences that counselling makes will be gradual yet sustainable, with an end date in mind it is often surprising how much a person can benefit from a short (or longer) programme.
1.This work can concentrate on the crux of the issues and I use experience and skills to adopt appropriate models to help you to bring about change.
2. With many years involvement in training and development I can draw on directive support for work and personal problems through coaching and mentoring.
3. I will support you in moving on to a better place in a holistic, confidential and non-judgemental manner.
Ending - Bringing our professional and therapeutic relationship to an end is an important aspect of counselling. I am conscious that clients come to rely on the weekly engagement in therapy so stopping that can be a challenge. However, depending on the length of therapy, I always take a flexible approach in balancing your new capabilities and confidence with an appropriate closure.
I work in the Scottish Borders and Edinburgh, a simple email, text or phone call may help you to start to change your life!
Training, qualifications & experience
1. I came to be a therapist via a different route than most people in that I had a very successful career in prisons where I graduated from being a prison officer to attain senior management roles.
2. Alongside this career I worked as a volunteer support worker for victims of crime and counsellor. I have worked in all areas including employee assistance programmes, supporting survivors of sexual crime and other post traumatic stress areas.
3. I worked tirelessly in prisons to support staff after incidents, work related stress and to raise awareness and support for prisoners who were also survivors of abuse. I also trained managers in leadership skills, business planning, appraisals and effective communications skills.
4. I was heavily involved in training and development in all of the roles I performed. 5. I currently teach student counsellors to the level of Advanced Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
I feel that my career, training and experience as a counsellor gives me a lot of skills to help people in many areas from relationship problems, to bereavement, to complex trauma, workplace stress etc.
My qualifications are:-
Advanced Assessment and Treatment Strategies for People with Insomnia
Essential (Clinical) Supervision Skills Level Two
Essential (Clinical) Supervision Skills Level One
Advanced Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling
Certificate in Counselling
Certificate in Comprehensive Resource Model
I am also a qualified 'Critical Incident Responder'
Accredited Member of National Counselling Society
I also have a Master's Degree in Business Administration, a Diploma in Management Studies and a Certificate in Management Studies.
I regularly undertake continuous professional development to ensure that I maintain a wide range of counselling, coaching and mentoring skills.
My next course is:- TBA
Recent courses attended are:
Advanced Assessment and Treatment Strategies for People
with Insomnia - November 2019
Foundation in Sleep Assessment and Management - November 2019
Essential Supervision Skills (online course)- September 26th 2018
Essential Supervision Skills - July 2018
GDPR - the new data protection act - May 2018
Safe Talk Training - Suicide Intervention - May 2018
Intrusive Thoughts - May 2018
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Financial stress, cumulative stress issues, work/life balance and stress management skills. I am also a critical incident responder and can facilitate individual and group sessions for post incident workshops, prices for this can be negotiated.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
I charge £45 an hour. Couples would be £60 an hour, families, groups and organisations would be negotiable depending on the type and length of work required, distance involved and the amount of people involved.
I offer clinical supervision to counsellors who work in the Scottish Borders or Edinburgh areas, the model of counselling they use is not an issue and I can adapt my style of supervision to suit all levels of experience. I charge £45 an hour for supervision.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I can arrange suitable mobility facilities as and when required.
I am flexible with my availability, do work evenings and weekends and usually come to a mutually satisfactory arrangement with all of my new clients.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Hi there, thank you for clicking on my profile, that could be a positive step in your search for development and support in your professional life.View supervision profile