Marjorie Clare MBACP (Accred), CBT/Counsellor/Hypnotherapist
9 Mill Lane
127, Twist Lane
07949765703 / 07949765703
My name is Marjorie Clare. I have been practising as a talking therapist, professionally, since I qualified in June 2004. I am a highly qualified, experienced counsellor/psychotherapist, accredited with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. I also am a qualified Casework Supervisor, offering supervision to other therapists. I offer a foundation of person-centred therapy, and due to further training I have undertaken in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), I incorporate this approach into my practice. CBT is successfully used to help with depression and anxiety, amongst many other issues. Additionally, as a fully qualified clinical hypnotherapist, I am able to integrate these further skills into my practice, if I feel it would help, and the client wishes to undergo clinical hypnotherapy.
I have been practicing privately for over 9 years and previous to running my own practice, I was the Manager/Co-ordinator of a Counselling and Wellbeing Service within the 4th largest Further Education College in the UK. As well as working privately, I have also worked part time as a counsellor/therapist at a university, working with students of all ages.
I offer therapeutic support to a diverse range of clients, including those of all ages, ethnicity, gender and ability. I have worked in a Health Centre/GPs surgery, and a complementary therapy clinic, working with the patients (as clients) in both settings.
I am used to helping clients with all sorts of problems and issues, and would welcome you, and your commitment, so that we can work through them together.
What is CBT?
CBT stands for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and is on the NICE guidelines (used by NHS professionals) as the recommended type of therapy for depression and anxiety-related disorders. Basically, the idea of CBT is based on the fact that what we think determines how we feel and therefore how we behave. CBT consists of looking at your thinking patterns, challenging them and helping you to look at things in a more helpful way. This will affect how you feel, and how you behave.
So, what is counselling/psychotherapy?
Counselling/psychotherapy provides the opportunity and space for you to talk about things that may be difficult to share with anyone else. It can help you find more effective ways of coping, and help you to understand your feelings better. It can also be about a need to find out about yourself, and what you want out of life. It is about being accepted rather than judged, or criticised. It is not about giving advice, or telling you what to do.
And what is clinical hypnotherapy?
Clinical hypnotherapy combines the idea of talking therapy (such as counselling/psychotherapy) with the use of hypnosis, to help clients with their issues and problems. It can be used to help you give up smoking, lose weight, reduce your anxiety levels, and feel more confident. It is also useful for people with phobias, post traumatic stress(disorder), and a host of other issues. If you are unsure if clinical hypnotherapy would be helpful for you, why not give me a ring, and we can discuss your needs over the 'phone.
What sort of problems could you talk to me about?
You can talk me about anything that might be worrying or upsetting you. For example:
- You may have worries about your health, or fear for your safety.
- Maybe you are worried or upset about your partner, friends or family.
- You may feel under pressure from your work or studies, or be worried about your future.
- You may feel discriminated against, bullied or harassed.
- Someone close to you may have died, or be seriously ill.
- Perhaps you feel lonely, isolated or rejected.
- You may have painful memories of events that have happened in the past.
- Or you may just feel unhappy, and not be certain why.
Who will know if you seek help from me?
As a registered and accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice (you can find this at www.BACP.co.uk). This means that I will not talk to anyone about the fact that you are seeking my help, and anything you say to me will remain private. There are some exceptions to this promise of confidentiality, and these will be discussed in more detail with you at the beginning of your first session, but in the main these exceptions relate to having to break the promise of confidentiality if you talk about anyone who is at risk of being harmed, injured or abused.
What do I mean by confidentiality?
Confidentiality is an ethical standard that I commit to honouring, and something I take extremely seriously.
Other details Each session lasts 50 minutes. You can agree with me about how many sessions you might need, and this can be discussed at the first session, and then reviewed as you progress.
Please may I ask that you try to arrive on time, to ensure that I have finished any earlier sessions with previous client(s).
Leigh - Free parking is available on the drive, or down Milton Street, which is across the road from Clare Therapies. Leigh Town Centre bus station is approx 5 minutes walk from Clare Therapies.
Lymm - Free parking is available
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited Member of British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Practioner
- Advanced Diploma in Casework Supervision
- Hypnotherapy Practitioners' Diploma
- Foundation Diploma in Neuro Linguistic Programming
13 years + counselling experience in FE and HE, with people of all ages 16+, ethnicities and genders.
- 2 years counselling experience in a GPs practice, with patients of the surgery.
- 2 years counselling experience in a complementary medicine clinic
- 9 years counselling experience in private practice
- Owner/Proprietor of Clare Therapies, for Physical and Talking Therapies.
- 5+ years experience as a Counsellor in universities.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I can also help with:
Motivational Therapy (for Sports, management, presentations, examinations, driving tests etc).
At Clare Therapies there are other therapists who can help with:
Sports/Remedial/Manipulative Massage, Deep Tissue Neuro Muscular Massage
Scenar Electric Therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
£40.00 per hour - individual
£50.00 per 1.5 hours casework supervision
I accept cash or cheques. I am unable to accept payment by credit/debit card.
The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy is the professional body which many qualified counsellors and psychotherapists belong to. To become a full member, you need to have passed a standard (at least to Diploma level) in a counselling qualification. Furthermore, counsellors/psychotherapists can undertake a further element of intensive study to gain Accredited status.
As you will see from my qualifications I am qualified to Advanced Diploma level in Counselling, and also hold Accredited status with the BACP.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - 1pm to 6pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - 9am to 6pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
A BACP Accredited counsellor/psychotherapist since November 2006, I have vast experience in the field of counselling. I co-ordinated a generic counselling service within a further education college for over 10 years, have counselled in a GPs surgery, and a complementary medicine clinic. I have also operated a private practice for over 7 years, and now run my own private practice. I also work as a paid counsellor within a large University, working with students. .View supervision profile