Nicky Bates (MBACP) The TLC Counselling Hub
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
Having been a qualified nurse for over 20 years, I decided to branch out into counselling as I felt this was where my fundamental skill set lies. I believe by giving patients a few minutes of my time each day, was better than any medicine that was prescribed for them. People need to feel valued, people need to feel accepted and they certainly need to feel heard.
Based in central Andover, I offer a non-judgemental approach built on the pillars of Gestalt and Humanistic theory. What this means is that we work creatively with what is happening for you right now. Working in the here and now I offer a calm relaxing environment. It is your time and space, it is about you and for you to discuss whatever is concerning you at this moment in time.
Now offering online counselling via Skype, Face-Time, WhatsApp or Zoom
So How Can Counselling Help Me?
Sometimes life events can become too much and with the 24 - 7 lives we now lead it can start to impact in all areas of our lives. Counseling can help identify, clarify, and often even simplify problematic thoughts and feelings.
In life and in therapeutic encounters we can find ourselves going around in circles, being unproductive or procrastinating about the things, which we should be doing or those that we want to do. The process of therapy allows us to not simply note these patterns and habits, but offers us the space to creatively think about them, find new more flexible ways of adapting.
Creativity is everywhere in life, it is within our minds and our souls and developing it adds to our sense of self, our placement within the world and gives us energy and meaning. By working creatively it can also help us unlock our true potential.
Never to Old for Counselling
People seem to think counselling is just for younger people. Over at the TLC Counselling Hub, we have recently seen an increase in older clients contacting us. Counselling should have no age barrier. People no longer just have to get on with it, or take it in their stride, or have the stiff upper lip approach. Dropping the stigma of mental health and reaching out for counselling and professional help is becoming more acceptable in all age groups.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 5 Diploma of Higher Education in Humanistic Gestalt Counselling 2019
- Level 4 Diploma of Higher Education in Humanistic Gestalt Counselling 2018
- ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills 2014
- Level 2 Basics of Counselling 2012
- DIP HE Nursing Studies (Adult) 1997-2000
- City & Guilds in Family & Community Care 1985-1987
- City & Guilds in Health Promotion 2001
- 998 Assessor & Trainer Critical Care 2006-7
- Qualified First Aid Trainer/Mindfulness/Stress in the Workplace Provider 2013-current
I currently Volunteer for two registered counselling agencies, Andover Mind, and the Olive Branch Winchester.
- I work within, and uphold to the key ethical principles and values as stipulated by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapists (BACP).
- I have regular Supervision with a qualified Psychotherapist/Counselling Supervisor.
- I hold a recent Uk Disclosure Certificate
- I can also travel to your workplace to teach a variety of first aid and other courses
- I am also on the Committee of the Jamie G Sporting Trust
Workshops and CPD Training Attended
- 1 Day Creative Workshop January 2019
- Domestic Violence workshop March 2019
- 1 Day Workshop Let's Talk About Sex June 2019
- 1 Day Workshop Attachment Theory July 2019
- Dual-Diagnosis Workshop September 2019
- DISC profiling Workshop October 2019
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have worked very closely with clients who have suffered from
- Abuse- sexual-mental-physical
- Anxiety & Panic Attacks- GAD
- Bereavement-grief-loss-sudden death child/adult
- Low self worth-self esteem
- Self Harm
- Split Personality Disorder
- Suicidal Tendencies
What to Expect in Your First Counselling Session
I offer an initial free telephone consultation to explore what is concerning you at this moment in time, and whether you think my counselling approach is for you.
If you do decide counselling is for you then, I offer regular sessions 50 minutes in length at a cost of £40.00 per session. I Currently have availability Monday-Friday with some evening appointments available.
I now offer online counselling either via WhatsApp, Skype, Zoom or Face-Time. This is to enable people to access counselling during the recent Corona Virus outbreak. It gives clients the piece of mind to access counselling in the safety an comfort of their own homes.
Ample parking space provided.
Concessions for low income earners/elderly and a discount for students with valid NUS are available.
I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. I hold full professional indemnity insurance and a current enhanced DBS.
Finally it is all about you!
I love working creatively with my clients. To watch them grow and transform is what counselling is all about for me.