Psychotherapy & Counselling specialising in dating, romantic relationships, couples & parenting.
Due to coronavirus I am currently working ONLINE and only in my SEVENOAKS practice.
Dating, romantic relationships, couples counselling and parenting is where I do my best work.
I'm direct and determined but also gentle enough to unpick your love and family life in order to support you in finding clarity.
You can expect me to be 'real' with you.
I’ll take the risk of saying something I think you won’t like, if I think it will really help you.
This usually leads to a sense of aliveness, and more connection with yourself.
It also provides you with the information you need to change.
You being lost, unsure or scared doesn’t freak me out.
I’m not a blank screen.
I’m keen to engage with you, and for you to feel both challenged and cared for.
I find this approach is good at getting people who feel uncomfortable with their feelings, much more aware of them and able to manage them.
I'll always be on your side; not always in the way you want me to be, but often in the way you need me to be.
This helps you feel supported in such a way that you are ready to do things differently in your life.
In your love life I can help you if you've:
- Never had a romantic or sexual relationship. If you’re in this position you can feel like you’re the only one in the world who doesn’t have any experience. This truly isn’t the case, and together, we can support you in developing confidence & self esteem. This has a powerful effect on your dating success. I’ll ensure that our therapy relationship also teaches you the key intimacy skills that will help you going forward.
- Difficulties dating. Perhaps it's all new to you or you're returning to the dating scene after a long hiatus or divorce. I offer practical guidance on how best to navigate the modern dating world. I'm also skilled at finding out where you may have got lost previously & getting you on the 'right' track.
- Chronic relationship problems. Do you find maintaining romantic relationships very challenging and feel like you just don't 'get' men or women? Feel close to giving up on relationships altogether? I can guide you in identifying the root cause of these difficulties. So, for example, you’ll learn to start picking partners who can give you what you need. I'll also teach you everything I know in order to better understand your partner which makes the relationship smoother.
- Had children and there’s little intimacy with your spouse or partner. In the early years children are right bang in the middle of you and your partner, in the literal sense that they’re in the middle of you on the sofa but also because you inevitably focus on them, and not you. Sex & closeness take a back seat. We don’t notice it but before this happens other intimacies are also lost; the kisses, the late night chats and the date nights. In order for your relationship to flourish again we need to focus on you first, and give you and your relationship some much needed thought and care.
- You're a couple in crisis. Whether it's been triggered by a betrayal, a major life change (such as a new baby, a death, or a life transition) or a gradual fraying of connection your relationship is struggling. You're finding it difficult to communicate, and your arguments are becoming circular with no clear resolution. It can be really helpful to have a therapist on the side lines who can unpick what the deeper issues are, and bring them to light so that they can be usefully processed and managed.
The other side of my therapy practice is focused on parents.
In your family life I can help you if you feel like you’re:
-Failing as a parent. Do you yearn to “get it right” with your kids but feel like it’s falling apart? Are you yelling, losing your patience a lot, or being physically rough with them? As a parent myself, I know there’s nothing more triggering than our offspring. Did you vow to do it differently to your parents but find yourself repeating the same patterns? I’ll help you learn to contain your strongest emotions and start parenting in a different way that’s more aligned to your vision. I’ll also help you understand your children, when we understand the why behind their behaviour we don't always get so triggered by it. My aim is to help you both move out of the way and get on with the business of being there for your kids, whilst also simultaneously finding some healing for your own childhood.
- Struggling being a stepparent. Are you feeling confused by your role. You’re not a mum or a dad and you’re not a friend, so what are you? Do you feel like all your buttons are being pushed? Is it putting a strain on your romantic relationship? I’ll bring clarity to your steparent role so you can confidently identify when to step back and when you are needed by your stepchild.
Training, qualifications & experience
My training was eclectic, drawing from many schools of psychology. Its defining feature is that as well as working directly with the challenges you bring, it also holds space for the development of human potential, which can include, for example, developing self awareness & a sense of meaning and purpose.
I have a PGDip (3 year Postgraduate Diploma) in Psychosynthesis Counselling, validated by the University of Middlesex and accredited by BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy).
I also have a BA Hons in English Literature and History of Art, The University of York.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £75.00 to £90.00
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
Face-to-Face Individual Therapy & Online Therapy
Individual Therapy (Online & Sevenoaks Practice): £90.00 per session; although sliding scale available so do get in touch.
Each session will last 55 minutes.
Couples Therapy (Online & Sevenoaks Practice): £120.00 per session.
Each session will last 75 minutes.
Monday - Friday