Dr Palvinder Rao, Clinical Psychologist, EMDR and DBT Therapist
I am a Registered and Chartered Clinical Psychologist with over 14 years of experience within the voluntary, NHS and independent sector. I have ran my own private practice for the past 6 years.
I have extensive experience of assessing and providing psychological interventions for a range of problems including; depression, anxiety disorders (obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias, panic, generalised anxiety), low self-esteem, trauma, PTSD, self-harm, eating disorders, physical illnesses, autism spectrum disorders, learning difficulties, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, personality difficulties and bipolar.
I am able to draw on a range of evidence based psychological therapies including; Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR), Mindfulness and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT). I believe that my clients are the experts of their lives and experiences and therefore I work collaboratively and flexibly, integrating these approaches to meet peoples needs and goals.
I believe that the therapeutic relationship is really at the heart of enabling change and progress. My clients tell me that they feel validated, understood and respected as I am warm, compassionate and sensitive to their needs and beliefs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have experience of working with children, families, adults and older adults across a range of services including; Primary Care, Secondary Care, Eating Disorders Services, Acute Inpatients, Learning Disabilities, Dementia Services and Community/Rehabilitation settings.
I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology (BSc), a Postgraduate Certificate in Primary Mental Health Care (PGCert) and a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy). I have gained further training and qualifications in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) and Eye Movement Desensitisation Therapy (EMDR).
I am a chartered member of the British Psychological Society and I am registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Family/systemic therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Prior to our initial appointment you will be offered a free 15-30 minute telephone consultation to briefly discuss your problems, how I work and how psychological therapy may or may not help you. If we are both happy with this, we can then arrange our first session.
- If you are self-funded, my fees are £95 for up to 60 minute consultation and individual therapy sessions. My fees for couples and family work are £120 for 60 minute sessions.
- I can provide letters, psychological reports and recommended treatment plans as well as any liaison required as part of your care. This may require an additional fee which I will discuss with you during our sessions.
- I am registered with several healthcare insurance companies including; AVIVA, Vitality Health, AXA PPP Healthcare and Cigna.
I offer clinical supervision to qualified mental health professionals, Counsellors and Psychologists. Please contact me for more information.
To note: I have a safe, relaxed and comfortable clinic space available in LS28 and LS8. They are easily accessible to those who live in Bradford and Leeds, with free parking on both sites.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays and Wednesdays all day
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|