Dr. W.Wendy Li, CPsychol AFBPsS, Counselling Psychologist, EMDR & CBT Therapist.
Wendy has a Doctorate in Psychology in Counselling Psychology, learning various therapy approaches, coupled with psychological scientific research and clinical hours. Wendy is also Qualified as a Cognitive-Behavioural Therapist (CBT) prior to her doctoral training and prior to this trained in the Person-Centred approach also. Wendy subsequently trained in EMDR, specialising in working with complex trauma and dissociation. Wendy works in a pluralistic/integrative way which is adapting these models to suit your needs.
Wendy has worked with a range of clients ranging from depression, relationship issues, self-identity issues, student-life difficulties, anxiety, stress management, anger management, assertiveness training, addictions, sexual abuse, bereavement, phobias, trauma, sexual issues, post-traumatic stress disorder - PTSD, disordered eating, general anxiety disorders, obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours and many others.
How do I know if this is right for me?
Therapy is about finding a way to live in a meaningful and functional way again. If you feel that you are distressed or concerned to a point where you feel it is impacting on your lifestyle then counselling could help increase your awareness of where these problems have stemmed from, how they are affecting you and what you may want to do about them.
Wendy will offer you a confidential space to speak freely your thoughts and feelings without judgement, looking at how we can come to solutions in the short term and to benefit long-term.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Psychology MA (Hons) from Glasgow University. (BPS accredited)
- PGCert in Counselling Skills at Strathclyde University. (COSCA accredited)
- Diploma in Counselling and Groupwork - a Cognitive Behavioural Approach at Centre of Therapy. (SCOTACS accredited)
- Doctorate in Psychology of Counselling Psychology (D.Psych) (BPS accredited)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) Trained (Part 1, 2, 3 and 4) with EMDR Works.
- Essential Supervision Skills (BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision) meets the training standards required to confer eligibility to the British Psychological Society’s Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS).
Significant Continue Professional Training
- Working with distressing psychosis: The challenge of developing meaningful therapeutic outcomes
- Adaptation-based process therapy (APT) for personality disorders
- Using trauma focused CBT to work with PTSD: A two-day workshop underpinned by relational values
- Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy training
- Ethical Practice of EMDR Online
- CPsychol (Chartered Psychologist with British Psychological Society)
- AFBPsS (Associate Fellow with British Psychological Society)
- HCPC Registered Practitioner Psychologist
- RAMH (Renfrewshire Association for Mental Health) working with adults from a wide and varied background from general anxiety, depression, work-life stress, relationship difficulties, phobias, bereavement to more severe and enduring presentations.
- Centre of Therapy, working with anxiety, depression, anger management, gambling addictions, relationship difficulties and other issues. Experience as a COSCA Counselling Skills trainer at the Centre of Therapy.
- NHS, seeing clients from various backgrounds and mental health issues, ranging from anxieties, depressions, phobias, relationship issues, emotional, physical and verbal abuse issues, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours (OCD), trauma and other various severe and enduring presentations.
- Glasgow University, working primarily with anxieties, depression, phobias, relationship issues, gender issues, identity issues, trauma, rape, abuse and other severe and enduring presentations such as PTSD, OCD, personality difficulties.
- Formerly Psychological Health Lead Clinician for AXA Healthcare PPP within the corporate sector providing private medical healthcare for individuals within a renowned international company. Wendy was responsible for leading the department clinically to support operations in providing the best clinical healthcare practice. Wendy promoted delivery of expert clinical consultancy to other practitioners, assessments of clinical needs for service users and looking at clinical governance within the organisation, which includes developing clinical guidelines to ensure ethical clinical delivery and developing bespoke clinical training. Wendy also liaised with other professionals, such as occupational health, musculoskeletal professionals, life management sectors and other large corporate organisations. In addition, Wendy also managed a team of Psychologists and Clinical Consultants who specialise in clinical case management and onsite crisis support.
- Wendy currently works as a Clinical Lead at a world renowned university, providing clinical expertise, service development and operational guidance to the department to drive well-being and psychological care to students and staff. She manages a multidisciplinary team and also maintains a clinical caseload. She oversees the trainee and volunteers placement programme for counselling and psychologists in training and who are qualified. In addition, she networks with other external agencies to ensure that there is sufficient clinical expertise and cover to manage the high demands of the service for mild to severe and enduring clinical presentations.
- In private work, Wendy works with a wide range of people from a varied background. It can vary between general anxieties, stress and phobias, obsessive thought and compulsive behaviours, trauma, abuse , student - counselling, relationship difficulties and other issues. Wendy also supervises fully qualified and trainee psychologists and counsellors and those in clinical training from various courses and other therapeutic practitioners.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
British Psychological Society
British Psychological Society
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Wendy offers therapy as part of an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or Private Medical Insurance (PMI). Please enquire about fee for this.
Wendy also specialises in working with trauma and have had training in Trauma-Focussed CBT as well as EMDR. Both are recommended by NICE guidelines and is the government's preferred choice for treatment of trauma.
Wendy offers clinical supervision to fully qualified psychologists and counsellors as well as doctoral psychologists trainees and counselling trainees from various courses and other therapeutic practitioners. Please see supervisor profile for details.
£110.00 per session
EAP/Health Insurance Providers
Fees are slightly higher than other therapists due to doctoral level of training.
- Individual counselling sessions are £110
- Supervision sessions are £110
- Appointments can be made via email via firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 07967089450.
- Please call for a free consultation or enquiry to discuss suitability.
Skype/telephone sessions are available
Sessions will usually last 50 minutes unless otherwise agreed beforehand.
Sessions will be available between
- Mondays 9-8pm
- Weekdays Skype sessions only.
- Sat-Sun as required both Skype and in person.
Mondays for face to face appointment. 9-8pm.
Weekdays for Skype/VSee appointments.
Sat-Sun as required for both.
- Please allow for 24hours notice of any cancellations, otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.
- I speak fluent English and Cantonese and can counsel in both languages.