Tina Jarvis Registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist MBACP
I am a fully qualified person centred psychotherapist and a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. Prior to training as a psychotherapist I worked in the NHS as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner.
I understand life can be difficult at times and we may face stressful and challenging experiences in our lives such as illness, bereavement, family problems and relationship issues. When experiencing these difficult times it can be helpful to talk to an experienced, professional therapist and make a real difference on how we feel.
Reaching out for help can be difficult and it is important to find the right compassionate, knowledgeable and non-judgemental person for you so you can be listened to and understood. I trained in the person centred approach because I believe that it is the relationship between counsellor and client that makes all the difference. I believe mental health is as important as physical health hence I changed my career from a nurse to a counsellor. I would say it is a privilege to be able to accompany a client on their journey to living a happier life.
Training, qualifications & experience
Fully trained, registered and insured I can offer person-centred counselling and psychotherapy in helping to enhance a more happier life and a sense of well being. I am bound by the Ethical Framework for counselling professions and keep up to date with developments in the profession. My therapeutic experiences include working with addiction, bereavement, loss, trauma and dealing with anxiety, depression, suicide, dissociation disorder, bipolar and child abuse to name but a few. More recently I have been working with both male and females who are survivors of rape, sexual abuse, sexual violence and domestic abuse. I work in various organisations, charities, the NHS and in private practice. I have a wide knowledge of how people can feel when experiencing traumatic events in life and together with my experience as a nurse I have helped many people with complex needs in different settings from all walks of life.
Person-Centred Psychotherapist and Experiential Counsellor - Glyndwr University.
Working with addiction in Shropshire Recovery Service.
Research findings on the nature, impact and prevalence of relational depth in therapy. Meeting clients at relational depth with Mick Cooper, Professor of Counselling Psychology at the University of Roehampton.
Working with bereavement and loss in the West Cheshire Bereavement Service and Hospice of the Good Shepherd,Cheshire.
- Rape, Sexual Violence and Abuse - RASAC North Wales
- CSASS- Chester Sexual Abuse Support Service
- Rewind Technique, a treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety. Can be helpful with flashbacks, intrusive thoughts/images, intense distress at real or symbolic reminders of trauma.
- Male Rape- Mankind Sussex
- Working in Primary care within the NHS- NHS Wales and NHS England as a nurse and a counsellor. Within my role as a counsellor I work with clients who are experiencing struggles with anxiety, depression, stress, panic attacks, personality disorders, relationship issues, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), sleep problems, dissociation and dissociative disorders, self harm, eating disorders, suicidal thoughts to name a few
- Ecotherapy, an accredited walk and talk therapist involving evidence based therapeutic treatment involving outdoor activities in nature.
- Accredited Pre-Trial Therapist, offering counselling and emotional support to clients who are either a victim or witness while the criminal justice process is on-going and a trial possible.
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner- NHS
- Registered General Nurse - NHS
- Mindfulness Course
- Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Member of the Nursing and Midwifery Code of Conduct (NMC)
- Member of Creative Counsellors
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Bereavement Counselling
- Survivors of Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling
- Expressive Art Therapy
- Ecotherapy, walk and talk therapy.
- Pre Trial Therapy
£40.00 per session
Free initial in-person, telephone or online session
£40 per session
Some concessions are available.
Student rate on request
Cancellation fees do apply
Appointments are usually on a weekly basis, at least early on, to allow the relationship and work to become established. They can either take place on the same day and time each week or can be flexible to suit you. If you feel you will require more than a couple of sessions, you may wish to choose a block of six sessions at a discounted rate. This can be done at any point within the work, so you have time to ease yourself into the therapeutic relationship and decide if this is for you. You may wish to have sessions every two or fours weeks, all of which can be discussed if that is the right for you.
Payment can be made in cash or by bank transfer prior to or in the session.
Concessions offered for
Appointments available 8am to 8pm. Sessions available during this current situation (Covid 19 crisis) Able to offer online or telephone counselling.
I am committed to ongoing professional development which informs me of best practice both professionally and ethically. I attend further training days, conferences and lectures to enhance my knowledge further. I have been a member of a professional body throughout my career as a nurse and now as a psychotherapist. I attend regular clinical supervision as required within the profession on an individual and group basis. I attend bi-annual peer group meetings which provides learning and develops professional relationships with others allowing viewpoints on practice to be discussed.
I see clients in a quiet and comfortable room in Oswestry where the entrance is discreet.