I am an integrative psychotherapist, counsellor and supervisor with nearly thirty years experience in a wide variety of settings. I offer both short term and open ended one-to-one work, supervision and I am also a mindfulness trainer.
I am based in Walterstone between Abergavenny and Hereford and also work through the medium of Skype or via telephone. I am easily accessible from Abergavenny, Hereford, Monmouth, Ross and Gloucester.
I work with stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, abuse, bereavement and loss, issues of sexuality, relationship problems and more.
Counselling/Psychotherapy - How I will work with you
We would start by exploring what has prompted you to come for therapy at this time, and what you hope to gain from therapy. We would then decide together whether short or longer term work may be needed and weekly or twice weekly meetings. We would regularly review our work together and whether you were getting what you needed. Sessions last 50 minutes.
If you/we decided you wanted longer term work or to work in an open-ended way which would allow you to work at your own pace, as well as exploring your current concerns, we would also explore how your past experiences and relationships may be influencing your behavior now- working with the unconscious and using our relationship to inform our exploration.
My counselling/psychotherapy approach is an integration of the person-centred, psychodynamic and psychosynthesis models. I encourage your personal growth through the inclusion of your whole person - the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual (whatever you feel that to be) aspects of yourself.
I am also trained in Solution Focussed Brief Therapy. If you want short term work I can help you to identify a particular area to focus on in the sessions available.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Senior Accredited Supervisor. I have been counselling and supervising for nearly 30 years in various settings including: two drug and alcohol agencies where I worked with children and adults on their own addiction or if they were affected by a family member’s addiction issues; two Further Education, and two Higher Education colleges where I worked with both students and staff; in private practice working both short term and longer term with clients, including twice weekly psychotherapy; as a Staff Counsellor in two NHS hospitals; and currently as the Staff Counselling Manager at Cardiff University where I have worked with a diverse range of staff and supervisees.
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling 1989
- BSc (Hons) Psychology 1997
- BACP accredited Diploma in Integrative Psychosynthesis 2000
- PG Diploma in Supervision 2006
- MA in Professional Development (Management) 2010-2013
- BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psycotherapist since 2001
- BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor since 2010
- Bangor Teacher Training Retreat One 2016 (trained to teach MBSR courses)
- Currently following the Mindfulness Teacher Training Pathway with Bangor University
- Past Chair BACP Workplace Division
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I run regular introductory sessions, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week courses, one to one MBSR courses, one day silent retreats, mindfulness workshops and monthly drop in practice sessions in Abergavenny and Crickhowell.
The next step:
Making the decision to begin counselling/psychotherapy can be a challenging one, if you want to take the next step, after a brief telephone chat or email conversation we would arrange to meet up and discuss what it is you want and see whether I am the right person to support you at this time. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic communication is not failsafe! I will always respond to enquiries within 36 hours during the week, or on a Monday if you contact me over the weekend. If you do not receive a response it's because I haven't received your contact so please do contact me again.
£60 per 50 minute session in Walterstone.
£95 per 90 minute supervision session.
£50 per 60 minute Mindfulness session-or £40 if a current student on an 8 week course with me.