Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
I am a psychodynamic psychotherapist, counsellor and supervisor with over thirty years experience in a wide variety of settings. I offer once and twice weekly therapy and supervision for qualified therapists and trainee therapists; consultative supervision for those involved in professional caring roles including management supervision; workshops, talks and experientials on Attachment theory and Exploring the Dynamics of Attachment in Adult Life and am available to organisations to deliver these CPD workshops and talks. I also offer Mindfulness training within organisations.
I have specialist knowledge and experience of working within the NHS and Further and Higer Education settings.
I am based in Walterstone between Abergavenny and Hereford and also work through the medium of Zoom, FaceTime or via telephone. I am easily accessible from Abergavenny, Hereford, Monmouth, Ross and Gloucester.
I work with stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, abuse, bereavement and loss, issues of sexuality, relationship problems and more.
Counselling/Psychotherapy - How I will work with you
We would start by exploring what has prompted you to come for therapy at this time, and what you hope to gain from therapy. We would then decide together whether short or longer term work may be needed and weekly or twice weekly meetings. We would regularly review our work together and whether you were getting what you needed. Sessions last 50 minutes.
If you/we decided you wanted longer term work or to work in an open-ended way which would allow you to work at your own pace, as well as exploring your current concerns, we would also explore how your past experiences and relationships may be influencing your behavior now- working with the unconscious and using our relationship to inform our exploration.
My counselling/psychotherapy approach is psychodynamic- I encourage your personal growth through the inclusion of your whole person - the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual (whatever you feel that to be) aspects of yourself.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Senior Accredited Supervisor. I have been counselling and supervising for over 30 years in various settings including: two drug and alcohol agencies where I worked with children and adults on their own addiction or if they were affected by a family member’s addiction issues; two Further Education, and two Higher Education colleges where I worked with both students and staff; in private practice working both short term and longer term with clients, including twice weekly psychotherapy; as a Staff Counsellor in two NHS hospitals; and as the Staff Counselling Manager at Cardiff University where I worked with a diverse range of staff and supervisees.
- I am also a trained group facilitator in Una McCluskey's Exploring the Dynamics of Attachment in Adult Life Model and offer various talks, CPD workshops and Experiential Groups in this model.
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling 1989
- BSc (Hons) Psychology 1997
- BACP accredited Diploma in Integrative Psychosynthesis 2000
- PG Diploma in Supervision 2006
- MA in Professional Development (Management) 2010-2013
- BACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Psycotherapist since 2001
- BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor since 2010
- Bangor Teacher Training Retreat One 2016 (trained to teach MBSR courses)
- Former Chair BACP Workplace Division
- Two year group facilitation training in Exploring the Dynamics of Attachment in Adult Life with Una MacCluskey 2020-2022
- Trustee of Marches Counselling Service in Hereford
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£75.00 per session
The next step:
Making the decision to begin counselling/psychotherapy can be a challenging one, if you want to take the next step, after a brief telephone chat or email conversation we would arrange to meet up and discuss what it is you want and see whether I am the right person to support you at this time. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronic communication is not failsafe! I will always respond to enquiries within 36 hours during the week, or on a Monday if you contact me over the weekend. If you do not receive a response it's because I haven't received your contact so please do contact me again.
£75 per 50 minute session in Walterstone or via zoom.
£75 per 50 minute Mindfulness session.