Chris Rudyard MNCS Accred **BSP **EMDR **IFS **Trauma Therapist ** 19 Years Exp.
Hello and welcome
I hope you can find what you need here:
- Choose & book 24/7, and see my availability HERE (I get fully booked weeks ahead, so you may need to book well in advance)
- It's probably easier to visit my website: www.counsellingforliverpool.com
- I also have another website: Online Trauma Therapy
My name's Chris Rudyard: I'm Human First, a Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Supervisor - MNCS Reg & Accredited, Fully Insured.
I have over 19 Years' experience helping adults, and children with all types of trauma and difficulties. I am the owner of 'Counselling For Liverpool'. I have real employed experience working in services post qualification. I have well over 10k hours experience, I stopped counting a few years ago..
I have my own professional office in South Liverpool which is not shared with other therapists and provides free onsite parking.
I do not subscribe to one model of therapy, as I have many diverse training's in cutting-edge, and powerful psychotherapies that get to the 'root cause' of it.
In my experience, good therapy needs to be collaborative, flexible, and have depth. It needs to be something that is felt, something that engages your mind & body, with a therapist that is highly attuned.
I work by not only helping you get to the 'root of it', but to help heal the roots of 'it' too. The therapies I do are deep, interactive, non-shaming, and are brain/body-based psychotherapies that are in line with neuroscience. I will not squash you tightly into a protocol-led therapy.
I realise at this stage you may just want to get started and talk to a trusted, and well-known professional counsellor & psychotherapist, in an accepting, and safe space, that's fine we can do that.
I have helped 1000's of people from all over the world to work beyond their difficulties.
I always like to meet someone new to help or to catch up with people that have benefited from my sessions in the past. I make my clients important to me so that therapy works.
You can go straight to my website and book online there by clicking here now
Seeing me ensures:
- No notes will go onto your medical records
- Your sessions will not be shared within the NHS, or anyone else
- There are no tedious written assessments, lengthy questionnaires or overwhelming paperwork
- There is no need to prepare - no thought diaries
- There no requirement to talk if you don't want to
- There is no need to deal with a third party
- There will be no 'CBT type' homework
- I will not be sat with a clipboard taking notes
- I don't just 'nod' and listen..unless it's required
- You are not expected to sit still if that's uncomfortable for you
- You book your own appointments online
- Your appointments will be on time i.e not late
- You get a therapist who is fully trained in more than one model of therapy
- You get a therapist who understands many models, attachment, trauma, and 'parts work'
- You will not be forced into an organisational target system
- Gentle yet powerful methods
What can you benefit:
People I've worked with have gained:
- better relationships
- restful sleep
- ways of coping
What else do people see me about?
People who see me have usually tried self-help books, been to see their GP, tried CBT, and done normal talk therapy. People who see me usually want something more than what's available through the NHS, private healthcare and charities.
People see me about:
- addictive & binging behaviours inc. alcohol, cocaine, pornography and food
- bereavement & grief
- childhood experiences
- complex trauma histories
- deep-rooted phobia
- dissociative identity disorder (DID)
- extreme dissociative experiences (out of body/not feeling/amnesia)
- family & relationships
- fear & terror
- flashbacks, dreams & nightmares
- physical problems, pain and unexplained pain/s
- panic attacks
- psychosis & drug-induced psychosis
- sex (performance issues, and no sex drive)
- sleep problems
- 'Treatment-Resistant Depression & PTSD' (it's not that these are not treatable, it's just that some therapies such as cbt & talk therapy are not able to help. Also this label means that medications haven't helped either)
- work - some professionals have really difficult and intense jobs, they find it helpful to offload, process, and look at their practice to improve it.
Not sure what the problem is?
Sometimes problems seem to be about how you're feeling physically.. Sometimes people go to see their GP because of how they feel and leave without treatment because there is nothing medically wrong. Or that the medication has side effects, or doesn't seem to do enough or anything.
Physical symptoms that turn out to be 'medically unexplained' can be due to being 'run down', stressed or underlying trauma that is being played out through the nervous system. To work with these concerns therapists need to have a good understanding of 'parts work', trauma, and the nervous system.
Examples of trauma symptoms that I work with:
auditory hallucinations - body dysmorphia (BDD), chronic fatigue/exhaustion -dissociation/not feeling -de-personalization/de-realization - dizziness/Labyrinthitis/vertigo - feeling on edge - IBS/irritable bowel syndrome - chest & stomach pains - Fibromyalgia - hallucinations - headaches/migraines - lump in the throat - Mysphonia -OCD - panic attacks - phantom pain - sexual performance, and sex-related issues - shaking - skin rashes - sleeping problems - 'spacey' feelings - stammers - excessive sweating - tinnitus - tight chest.
It's always a good idea to consult your GP too if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
Where do I start, how do I know what to talk about?
Start by booking online. You can call me first if you need to - leave a message and I will call you asap. Please note that I have clients so it may be a while before I call you back.
In the first session, we'll start to work out together what's going on, and where to start. You may not feel like talking - just let me know.
Whether you know what is bothering you or not, you are welcome to come and see me.
What I have to offer:
My approach to therapy is a fluid one, I am human first, and I'll develop a way to work with you as an individual. Different training and approaches may be viewed as having many different 'lenses' to be able to see and work with people.
I'm pretty easygoing, genuine, open-minded, and I have a warm, accepting attitude.
I usually work by having therapeutic conversations, and I also have ways of working that don't require talking about the issue. There is research to show that normal talking therapies alone are ineffective in treating trauma, and can even embed the trauma further.
I originally trained as a Person Centred Therapist and discovered that there were many more therapies that go deeper, and could often be more helpful at times. Today I am trained in many therapies. I find the most beneficial therapies that I use are: Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing/EMDR, and Eye Movement Integration/EMI, Internal Family Systems/IFS, and Brainspotting/BSP (trauma therapy).
I am also trained and experienced in Attachment & Trauma, Neuroscience (The brain and nervous system) and how this affects recovery. I have also trained in CBT, NLP Professional Coaching, Clinical Hypnotherapy, and Solution Focused Counselling. I do not use any intervention that I have not had training in.
More important than all these theories is that I understand you, and can relate to you as an individual. Much of my work encompasses human relationships and the difficulties that arise through being in, or out of them.
Working with me ensures tight confidentiality, without the NHS or 3rd parties sharing your/knowing your personal information.
Overall, I love my work, accompanying and seeing people get to a better place.
As well as therapy, and the work I do I am interested in many things including, cooking, film, health, music, and travel.
Training, qualifications & experience
Many different professionals & people come to see me inc:
actors, artists, business persons, consultants, engineers, lecturers, medical professionals, musicians, office workers, parents/carers, religious persons, scientists, sports persons, solicitors, students, teachers, trades persons, travellers, and young people.
Most of my clients today tend to be students and professionals in their 20's - 50's, but I've work with people from many walks of life.
It's always a good idea to check through your therapists' experience and training...
I have over 19 years of experience gained from well-known services, working with many people from all kinds of backgrounds. This has expanded my knowledge, and stretched me personally and professionally, making me a flexible, robust and very experienced practitioner. I found that services were often restrictive which impacted on peoples' recovery, which is why I now only work on a private basis.
As well as my direct therapy work with individuals, I have provided training and consultation for organisations inc. schools around mental health matters.
My work and practice have been audited by the BACP and have passed this process. This means I have met certain criteria required to evidence that I am ethical in my professional responsibilities as counsellor & psychotherapist. I am also an accredited member of the National Counselling Society.
I have also gained BACP Accredited status for organisations.
I have extensive experience working in services:
*The Priory Therapy Centre & The Priory Residential Hospital Preston* - CQC regulated therapy service. Therapist/counsellor/psychotherapist/assessor - adults - anxiety & depression, BPD, dual diagnosis, drug & alcohol use, relationships, trauma & C/PTS(d). Short to longer-term work.
*Counsellor & psychotherapist* (Merseyside, Manchester, Salford, Wigan) - setting up counselling services within schools, providing counselling & therapy for: pupils, parents/carers, teachers & staff.
*Counselling & psychotherapy* - A BACP Accredited counselling service - A great deal of my work here encompasses short - long term working with both offenders and victims of abuse, anger/anger management, 'BPD', dual diagnosis, domestic violence, family, personality, relationships, psychosis, PTS(d), schizophrenia & traumatic experiences. I worked for this counselling service for 6 years, which was funded with thanks to Wigan CCG/NHS.
*Counselling for Liverpool ©* - owner for 14 years - working with people on a private basis providing counselling & psychotherapy for a range of personal issues. Short to long term work. Addiction, anxiety, relationships, and trauma & C/PTSD. Training & Supervision also provided.
*7 Employee assistance programs* - counselling employees from some of Liverpool's employers and international employers. Telephone & face to face - Adults counsellor/therapist - short-term work (6-8 weeks). Trauma debriefing, and intervention. I also completed triage mental health assessments and risk assessments on a daily basis.
*Government departments & officials* - I have worked with staff of government departments such as The Home Office, Dept for Education, Dept for Health, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence. I have provided coaching, counselling, crisis/trauma intervention, management support and psychotherapy to these individuals.
*Insurance companies* - I have provided counselling for several large insurance companies who refer people for help with experiences of trauma, accidents and injury
*Looked after children's (LAC) counsellor* Inc. parents/carers with experience of trauma - funded by Wigan local authority
*Counsellor & Mental Health Practitioner* - Manchester - Forty Second Street - mental health assessments & counselling sessions for 11-25-year-olds with experience of trauma, and substance use. Funded by NHS/CCG
*Relate - The Relationship People* - North & South Greater Manchester - Counsellor & Psychotherapist.
*Face to Face charity* - Manchester -adults counsellor for those with low/no income - voluntary
*Bereavement & Palliative Care Counsellor - Hospitals, medical centres, GP clinics - bereavement, cancer, life-threatening illness, and trauma - Trafford NHS & Macmillan Centre
*Pupil Referral Units (PRU's) & Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) schools* - counsellor & therapist - short- long term counselling & therapy
*Mental health advice/support helplines* - triage assessments, supporting people in crisis, advising professionals & carers on mental health matters.
*Online advice & support* for concerns around self-harm - TheSite.org, now called: themix.org.uk
*GP's surgeries & NHS clinics* - counselling, psychotherapy & mental health assessments across Manchester & Wigan
*Therapeutic residential units, residential homes & schools* for people of all ages with moderate-severe Epilepsy, learning & social difficulties including those who have a diagnosis of ASC/Asperges/Autism. Inc The David Lewis Centre.
*Residential/assessment units*, leaving care units for those with 'dual-diagnosis, diagnosed, undiagnosed, awaiting assessment for mental illnesses. Bury, Cheshire, Wirral, Wigan, Manchester.
*Substance misuse counsellor* - NHS/CCG. Working with those using drugs/alcohol, or those relationships affected.
*Suicide prevention practitioner* - national charity - providing guidance to professionals & carers. Supporting people in crisis and experiencing suicidal ideation
*Participation* - helping support young people, parents/carers, and professionals feedback to commissioners/CAMHS, and services, to help shape mental health services.
*The Samaritans*- 2 years 2002 - working with people in crisis and those who are feeling suicidal, by telephone, and face to face - Manchester - voluntary
*BSP-UK* - I have assisted at many trainings including Brainspotting Phase 1, 2, 3, and Online. I have worked in small to larger training groups of up to 100 professional counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, and other types of therapists.
Professional Qualifications & Training
My training exceeds the minimum requirements to be able to provide counselling under the BACP & NCS regulating bodies. I am trained in several approaches to therapy, the IFS approach is at the heart of all my work. I can also practice hypnosis, but would only do this at my request on a case by case basis. Hypnotherapy alone is often not an appropriate method.
If you haven't guessed by now my passion and interest is therapy and trauma. I read lots, listen to lots, and get lots of top-quality training, which in turn you will benefit from.
My training has been gained through some of the most well-renowned trainers from around the world:
- EMDR/Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Therapist - Lv 1, 2 & 3 - This is a well-known therapy intervention for traumatic experience & complex trauma. EMDR can be quite an intensive treatment..and takes 100% commitment. This is the official training in EMDR UK & Ireland Accredited Course. With thanks to Dr. Derek Ferrell - Past president of EMDR UK & Ireland. Current Consultant, Accredited EMDR trainer & lecturer. Liverpool, UK. Find out more EMDR Therapy
- Brainspotting Phase 1 - British Psychological Society approved training. Cutting edge, and gentle therapy for processing traumatic experiences, amongst other 'difficult to shift' experiences. This approach is also great if you don't want to talk about the problem in detail, BSP uses the integration of neuropsychology and mindfulness. With thanks to Dr. Mark Grixti. Birmingham & Manchester. Find out more: Brainspotting Therapy
- Brainspotting Phase 2 - British Psychological Society approved training. Enhanced BSP for complex trauma and a range of difficult to process experiences. I have successfully used BSP for addiction, anxiety, dissociative experiences, nightmares, phantom pain, PTSD, sex problems, and unexplained anxiety. With thanks to Dr. Mark Grixti. Brighton & Manchester, UK
- Brainspotting Phase 3 - BSP training. Fully adaptable, and enhanced BSP approach, able to be used for many 'difficult to process' trauma issues that impact on, creativity, dissociative identity, EGO states, performance, sports enhancement, and complex trauma & PTSD. With thanks to Dr. David Grand (New York). Barcelona, Spain & London, UK
- Brainspotting Addictions & Trauma - Specialist treatment for all addictions. From chocolate, biscuits, crisps, through to cocaine, drug use, smoking, OCD, & self-harm. This approach incorporates attachment theory, neuroscience, and trauma. With thanks to Dr. Roby Abeles (Australia) - London, UK
- Brainspotting Masterclass - Enhanced training in the Brainspotting approach & theory. Working with deep-rooted complex trauma networks, and dissociation. With thanks to Dr. David Grand (New York) - Founder of Brainspotting - Barcelona, Spain
- EMI/Eye Movement Integration Level 1 Practitioner - a specialised Neurotherapy designed to treat trauma & PTSD (distressing memory & experience). This is a hybrid of popular EMDR therapy, it integrates, NLP, metadata, and 24 different eye movements. With thanks to Eva Pollani (Austria) - She is Europe's lead EMI accredited trainer) - Bath, UK. Research http://www.academieimpact.com/pdf/struwig.pdf
- EMI/Eye Movement Integration Level 2 + Supervision - this approach has been researched and found to be helpful with phobias and deeper rooted trauma. With thanks to Eva Pollani (Austria/Europe's lead EMI accredited trainer) - Bath, UK.
- Ego State Therapy with EMDR - 'Parts' Therapy for trauma & C/PTSD from abuse, sexual abuse, and childhood dissociative and non-dissociative ego states with EMDR. With thanks to Robin Shapiro (Seattle, USA). She is author of EMDR Solutions 1 & 2, and Trauma Treatment Handbook) - London, UK Find out more: Ego State Therapy
- IFS/Internal Family Systems - Intensive Lv1- Therapy which helps you gain a better sense of Self, and gives a much greater awareness to personality. IFS is a robust theory of personality and is now recognised and evidenced therapy, particularly for trauma. IFS is the fastest growing therapy in the USA and is becoming much more popular in the UK amongst therapists, and non-therapists. IFS works with 'parts' and 'protective parts' of personality. IFS can be helpful to many challenging personality presentations, such as anger, addictions, OCD, complex childhood trauma. IFS is a very mindful, gentle, yet powerful therapy. It is more of a directive therapy, it has a permanent healing component to it, and makes use of 'memory reconsolidation'. Thanks to Dr. Osnat Arbel (Israel) & IFS-UK/IFS Institute & Team. Sheffield, UK. To provide IFS you must have completed this training. Internal Family Systems (IFS) has been hailed by Dr. Bessel A. van der Kolk, the world's leading expert in trauma, as "the treatment method that all clinicians should know to treat clients effectively." Find out more here: IFS Therapy
- IFS/Internal Family Systems Lv2 Intensive - Deepening and Expanding IFS - training to enhance psychotherapists' IFS skill set and knowledge basis. Thanks to Dr. Osnat Arbel (Israel) & IFS-UK/IFS Poland Institute & Team
- IFS/ Internal Family Systems Lv3 (Highest) - training to enhance psychotherapists' IFS skill set and knowledge basis. Thanks to Dr. Richard Schwartz (USA) & IFS Portugal Institute Team.
- IFS Intensive - Treating Complex Trauma - In-depth training in IFS has helped me to become more knowledgeable, confident, and robust using the model. With Thanks to Dr. Frank Anderson (Boston, USA)
- Treating Complex Trauma Clients at the Edge: How Brain Science Can Inform Interventions Dr. Frank Anderson (Boston, USA)
- IFS Masterclass with Robert Falconer (USA): The Farther Reaches of IFS
- The Integrated Trauma Therapist: Incorporating IFS with EMDR, SP, CPT, AEDP, DBT and Psychedelic Medicines for Treating Complex Trauma and PTSD. Frank Anderson, Bessel Van Der Kolk, Janina Fisher, Richard Schwartz (studying)
- Polyvagal Theory, Oxycontin, and the Neurobiology of Love - London, UK. With thanks to Dr. Stephen Porges Author and creator of 'The Polyvagal Theory' & Dr. Sue Carter (North Carolina, USA)
- Integration of Mind, Brain, & Body in the Treatment of Trauma - London, UK. With thanks to Dr. Bessel van der Kolk - (Boston, USA) - Author of 'The Body Keeps The Score'
- Broken Bonds: Traumatic Attachment and Affect Dysregulation - London, UK. With thanks to Dr. Janina Fisher - (Boston, USA) - Author of 'Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors'
- Stabilizing the Unstable - With thanks to Dr. Janina Fisher
- Treating Dissociative Disorders (with EMDR & Parts/Ego States) - Dolores Mosquera & Kathy Steele
- Returning to Wholeness - Understanding and Integrating Trauma - with Dr. Gabor Maté - Studying
- Postgraduate - Person-Centred Therapy & CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) This training also included 3rd Wave CBT techniques such as mindfulness, and exposure techniques. Temenos - Sheffield, UK. with thanks to Dr. Joe Curran & Linda Smith
- Accredited BACP Diploma Level 4 - Theory & Practice of Counselling (This course specialised in, and was renowned for their Person-Centred Psychotherapy training - Person-Centred Counselling Services (PCCS) Training Partnership - PCCS was renowned for its radical training and approach. It was one of the first soley person-centered training centres in the UK. Manchester, UK. With thanks to Frances McDonnell & Tracey Walshaw
- Accredited Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy inc. EMDR, EFT, Ego State Therapy, Eriksonian Hypnosis, NLP Professional Coaching, 'Rewind Technique', Solution Focused Counselling & Hypnotherapy - CEC - Birmingham, UK
- Cert in Counselling Supervision - British Psychological Society approved training - Skills Development Centre. Manchester, UK
- Diploma in NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming) Wigan UK, With thanks to Marylin Tucknott (Canada)
- Cert in NLP Professional Coaching - CEC - Birmingham, UK. Get motivated, set & achieve goals, work beyond blocks, and stay on track.
- Cert in Solution Focused Hypno-Psychotherapy, Solution Focused Counselling Skills, Ericksonian Hypnotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy - CEC - Birmingham, UK. With thanks to Nick Cooke
- Counselling Skills Level 3 - ABC Awards - Manchester, UK. With thanks to Gail Jardine
- Counselling Concepts Level 2 - ABC Awards - Manchester, UK. With thanks to Gail Jardine
- Cert of Proficiency BACP – British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- MNCS Accredited & BSP Approved Cert in Supervision
I believe qualifications and training are very important. I believe what is more important is: experience in charities & NHS (this is often where the hardest work is), where/who you trained with, and therapists' trauma knowledge. Your commitment to the therapy process will be a crucial element to the outcome of therapy.
Professional Development & Further Training
I commit to more than the 30 required hours of Certified CPD/ongoing training every year. I've trained with some of the most revolutionary pioneers in psychotherapy and neuroscience in my field. I have completed over 180 hours face to face CPD in 2018, over 170 hours face to face CPD hours in 2019, and over 160 hours CPD in 2020.
- Anger Management
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (A.S.I.S.T) - Living Works
- Attachment theory & adoption training
- Bereavement/loss & palliative care counselling - NHS/Trafford Bereavement & Palliative Care Service
- Child & adult safeguarding Lv3/4
- Conflict resolution
- Counter-terrorism training (WRAP)
- Counselling young people - Relate
- Couples & relationship counselling - PCCS Training Partnership
- Data protection & GDPR 2019
- Domestic violence - Relate
- Effects of childhood traumatic stress on physical & mental health - Dr. Maté
- Family support - Beechwood cancer care
- First Aid 2017
- Group work - NHS
- Gestalt therapy dream work
- Hakomi Introduction - Mallorca - Dr Halko Weiss
- Health & safety - QCF
- IFS Compassion for Addictive Processes Cece Sykes LCSW, ACSW; IFS Senior Trainer
- Intro to Gestalt therapy - Brian McMinn
- Intro to Existential Psychotherapy - New School of Psychotherapy - Dr. Emmy van Deurzen
- Polyvagal Theory - Dr. Deb Dana
- Polyvagal Theory during the COVID-19 pandemic: Deb Dana on creating safety and connection through online technology
- Supporting LGBTQ+ mental health
- Mental health - NHS
- Self-harm - Teaching School Alliance
- Suicide TALK - Living Works
- Timian (challenging behaviour) - BILD
- Trauma-informed practice & scope
- Treating Complex Trauma Clients at the Edge: How Brain Science Can Inform Interventions - Frank Anderson
- Transactional Analysis
- Young people, sex & the law
Enhanced DBS/CRB 2020
ICO registered 2021
To see a fuller description of what I do, and the experience & training I have gained go to Counselling in Liverpool
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Neurotherapy - scientifically based psychotherapy for trauma, PTSD, and addiction
BSP, EMDR, EMI & IFS therapies are fast-acting, deep, and the most powerful forms of psychotherapy that I have had personally & professionally used. You may wait months to years for EMDR on the NHS..if you are even able to access it. The other therapies are not available through the NHS or EAP services.
You may have had EMDR before, and not got along well with it - don't worry I am able to make adaptations to EMDR and combine it with other more helpful methods - I'm not a one-trick pony..
More and more research now showing that traditional 'talking therapies' are not that effective as a way of healing trauma. Trauma is more than a memory, it leaves a physical imprint on your nervous system/senses. Therefore trauma is both mental and physical, so traditional 'talking therapies' and CBT are limited in some ways. For example: if you had a trauma/cut to your skin, talking about it won't really help - it needs an appropriate treatment for it to heal correctly.
Scientifically normal talking therapies such a Solution-Focused Therapy and CBT create an 'adaptive neural network' in the brain to help you feel better. Brainspotting, EMDR, EMI & IFS therapies go down the line of the ruptured neuronal network healing the ruptured neurons in the brain as they go, and then these therapies add an additional 'adaptive network'. Basically, this means that Brainspotting, EMDR, EMI, & IFS therapies are not just papering over the cracks, they do a more thorough job, which prevents relapse over the same issues.
I consider BSP & IFS to be the most beneficial forms of therapy that I encorperate. 'Talking therapy' gets you so far, and these more unique therapies get you the rest of the way!
Treating certain traumas with talking therapies is like trying to talk an ankle injury better - it might help you feel a little less stressed, but there's much more that can be done. BSP, EMDR, EMI & IFS therapy work with your whole nervous system to help you recover.
- Neurotherapy & Somatic therapies (brain/body-based therapies) have been used to help regulate and process, anxiety, anger, cravings, trauma & PTS(d) symptoms. EMDR, EMI & BSP are scientifically based and are researched to prove beneficial in many circumstances. BSP goes much deeper into the nervous system than traditional talking therapies, as they work subcortical regions of the brain. They are also used for addictions by going deep into brain regions where the 'reward system' is.
- Trauma-focused therapy - Specialist quick EMI treatment for traumatic events no matter how long ago they were. EMI has been used successfully for abuse, bullying, crimes inc. knife & gun crimes, road traffic incidents, sexual abuse, rape, and witnessing of traumatic incidents (secondary trauma). Most people will not identify their trauma as trauma. I work with lots of people who witness trauma in their work, and people that have had trauma happen to them.
What could a trauma be?
Numerous experiences could cause trauma. Trauma is the wound caused by experience. Most people who have experienced trauma would not class it as such, and/or 'downplay' it.
- a prolonged stressful period
- abuse & attacks
- adverse childhood experiences (ACEs)
- developmental trauma
- drug-induced trauma
- injury inc. sporting injuries
- narcissistic abuse from another
- neglect & abandonment
- a near-death experience and severe illness
- pre-verbal & pre-birth trauma
- rejection from parent/loved one
- sexual trauma
- significant loss
- traumatic birth & in utero trauma
- witnessing a traumatic incident, injury or a death
Articles on EMDR:
Please note the labels below are just that. I do not believe they are 'disorders' and more phenomena that occur on a spectrum. I do not use these labels, but some people have acquired them through a self-diagnosis, or have a more official diagnosis from a psychiatrist. Please note that most GPs cannot diagnose these kind of 'disorders' however they maybe able to diagnose anxiety or depression.
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
I find the label largely unhelpful, people are not 'disordered'. People are multi-plicity and have 'protective parts' of their personality through traumatic episodes. I see that people that carry this label are deeply hurt, display trauma symptoms, and have created adaptive and protective ways of being.
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)
This is a way of viewing personality. A person who has been involved in heavy trauma can have fragmented & polarized 'Parts'. These Parts of personality can become protective so that they overtake you/Self and become rigid parts. Sometimes because the protectors overtake they also hold experiences and memories of their own, so Self remains safe. Dissociation is normal and an everyday occurrence. It can come in many forms: daydreaming, overwhelming feelings, extreme mood swings, memory loss, fear, feeling childlike, falling asleep, unwanted behaviours, waking up in not knowing how you got there... I am by no means an expert in this area but can work with you if you would like.
Everyone has 'parts', and everyone dissociates sometimes, and some people dissociate more often than others.
Following on from above, parts can protect another hurt part that holds an upsetting memory, or there may be extreme parts of the personality that create an amnesia between each other. People will have this to different degrees - think of who you are at work and at home... A common example: At home you may not be able to recall a work password - however, when you are at work you may be able to recall it.
Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD)
Most people with this condition have suffered abuse or bullying around their looks, or maybe it was a relative.. The lens people look at themselves through can become distorted through trauma. Accompanying this can be behaviours/conditions like bulimia, dieting, eating habits,.
My trauma work is greatly influenced by Dr.Bessel Van Der Kolk, Dr.David Grand, Dr.Dan Siegal, Dr.Deb Dana, Dr.Gabor Mate, Dr.Janina Fisher, Dr.Peter Lavine, Dr.Richard Schwartz, Dr. R.D Laing, Robin Shapiro, and Dr.Stephen Porges
From £65.00 to £140.00
My fees are excellent with respect to my experience, and specialist further training. There is no obligation to continue after your first session.
- £65.00 One:One 50-minute session - private paying clients only
- £120.00 One:One 1.5 hour session - private paying clients only
Additional cost for 5pm onwards.
(I charge the same for EMDR and any other approach I use, as you are paying me for my experience, time and skills, not so much the technique)
As I have a lot more to offer these days besides traditional talk therapy, I find that people get more from longer sessions.. IFS & EMDR usually need to be 1.5 hours.
If you've been in therapy before you may be familiar with feeling constricted with 50 minutes. 1.5 hour sessions give us longer to process, allows us to slow down, and helps us relax more into the session. The more relaxed you are, the more easily your brain will be able to make the changes you require. As well as this some therapies take longer as there is more to do!
- Enhanced Addiction Session is £120.00 which is 1.5 hours These sessions can be integrated into a course of counselling, psychotherapy & hypnotherapy, or as a 'stand-alone' piece of work. The technique can help manage cravings and compulsive behaviours inc. Alcohol, Cocaine, Behaviours (OCD, Self Harm), Food, Smoking, Substance, Work.
- I recommend extended sessions for EMI, EMDR, or IFS work - 1.5 hour sessions - £120.00 - More helpful for: Anxiety, Trauma & C/PTS(d) and those who feel they want 'more' from therapy.
Consultation/Supervision for Therapists & Professionals
- £70.00 per 1 hour (unavailable at present)
- Qualified therapists only. I work with therapists who work with trauma or who are 'eclectic' in their approach. Must be trauma-informed. I like to work with people in addition to their regular supervision.
- Professionals. I help support professionals such as Teachers, Therapeutic workers, psychologists in their work through a trauma lens' This also helps prevent 'burnout'.
I accept the following payments online: Amex, Bank Transfer, Cash, Mastercard, Visa, Visa Debit.
I do not offer any 'concession', 'free' or 'introductory' sessions, this is because I am working in all my sessions. It would be unrealistic to base how therapy would be based on this dynamic and limited experience - It's like taking a car for a test run.. around the block.
I do not work with students who need counselling hours for their counselling studies - I do work with those who want to heal their own trauma to enable them to better help their clients.
I want you to get where you want to be quickly and efficiently, so we start therapy as soon as possible. I do not need to waste your time with interviews, unnecessary assessments, or form filling - we go straight into therapy.
Staff packages: Businesses, Charities, EAP's, NHS, and Schools
- £450.00 - 6 sessions - NLP Coaching/Counselling/Trauma Therapy. Other packages are available, email or call for an informal discussion. Not available.
- £80.00 per session - no reports - Not available.
Insurance companies charged at:
- £120.00 per therapy session (not currently taking insurance companies)
(All missed or cancelled appointments with less than 48hrs notice are to be paid for. Missed or cancelled sessions from business packages will be reduced from the number of sessions offered)
- Monday - Friday 8.00am - 8.00pm
- Saturdays 8.00am - 1.00pm
- FACE TO FACE, Online & Telephone
- 24 Hour Self Booking System through my website - no need to contact first unless you want to.
- Sessions available 8.00am - 8.00pm
- Monday to Saturday (subject to availability)
- Free on-site car parking
- About 20 min minute walk from Liverpool South Parkway train station
- Close to Speke retail shopping centre.
A list of my popular web pages:
Please be aware that everybody will have their own unique experience of therapy. Some words from some of my clients:
“Chris is a very knowledgeable and supportive supervisor. His wide breadth of understanding of different modalities has helped me to evaluate my practice and review areas where I have felt stuck with clients. His willingness to consider my point of view, even when perhaps we haven’t fully agreed, has enabled me to step back from ideas which I have been holding on to and to reconsider things in different ways to the benefit of my clients.” A person centred supervisee 2020
'I hadn't any experience of coaching before, so I didn't know what to expect, and found it helpful. Through the sessions, it became really clear what it was that was holding me back. I also found the beliefs I had, didn't fit with who I am, and this was also limiting me'. A Client 2018
'I have seen counsellors before but Chris has been the only one that I felt has really helped. A huge thank you!'. A Client 2018
'Chris was easy to talk to, a good listener and he helped me a lot!'. A Client 2017
'Counselling has transformed my existence, and it doesn't bear thinking about how I would have been without it, and I shall always be grateful'. A Client - 2007.