Guy Van de Walle PhD - Accredited Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Psychologist
I offer both therapy and personal development to individuals and couples. Relying on exceptional credentials (see below), I am able to provide a service which stands out by its quality, its professionalism and its effectiveness.
Are you looking for help with any of the following?
- overcoming anxiety, depression, panic attacks, excessive stress
- making more sense of your life as well as yourself, your feelings and thoughts, replacing confusion with clarity
- developing a more peaceful relationship with your past, as an adult and/or as a child
- finding who you truly are and exploring how getting closer to your true self can enhance your life
- dealing with identity issues, whatever their nature
- recovering lost meaning, purpose and drive in everyday life
- overcoming feelings of inadequacy and growing self-esteem and confidence
- overcoming fears, abuse, traumas, hurts, guilt, and developing inner peace
- overcoming sexuality and/or gender issues
- processing loss and grief, or any other deep emotions and feelings
- making sense of life and death, and reflecting on your life purpose
- making sense of and dealing with an addiction or a so-called “personality disorder”
- addressing relationship issues and feeling able to create and maintain “healthy” relationships.
See below to complete the list of issues.
How I can help you...
By working with me, you will be able to freely and confidentially express your thoughts, feelings and emotions, whatever they are. I will welcome you, the whole of you and everything you say in a completely non-judgmental way. My approach is warm, engaged and direct with a focus on utilising the therapist-client relationship to advance the therapy.
My ways of working involve encouraging you to think more deeply. I work interactively and collaboratively. Therefore, outside those times during which it is more appropriate that I listen quietly, I will engage with you in discussion and facilitate an in-depth dialogue with a view to examine and explore your issues. By gently asking you questions, by challenging some of your assumptions and by making suggestions for interpretation, I will help you go deeper and refine your ways of looking at things.
To support this work, I draw on carefully selected elements of existing psychotherapeutic theories as well as my own research and theoretical work, which on many aspects is more advanced and up to date. In addition to psychotherapy, I possess an extensive knowledge of other relevant domains and disciplines which make a significant contribution to my understanding of human psychology (see training & qualifications below).
Our journey of exploration will allow you to progressively make sense of things, starting with the issues which brought you to therapy. You will develop a greater understanding of yourself, your personality, your feelings and your thought processes. You will also reach a better understanding of your life and your relationships with others and the world around you. Using your newly gained insights, you will then naturally uncover ways of moving forward. As is often the case, as part of this process you may rediscover (or discover for the first time) who you truly are as well as your inner worth, and approach life with a renewed sense of self.
At the end of your therapy with me, which can be short or long term, you will feel enlightened, freer, empowered and more peaceful. You will feel better prepared to embrace your life and live it more fully.
Who are my clients?
I work with male and female clients, individuals (16+) and couples.
Where do the sessions take place?
I work from my private practice in Chelmsford, close to the city centre, with parking available and easy access by bus or train (the station is only a 15 minutes’ walk). The room and the house in which my practice is situated have a calm and positive energy.
When do the sessions take place?
Sessions are usually on a weekly basis and last 50 minutes. The frequency of meetings can be increased on request. The initial meeting to discuss your requirements will not commit you to further sessions unless you wish to proceed.
What happens next?
If you wish to learn more about me and my services, please consult my website or contact me directly for a non-committing discussion over the phone or by email. I will be very happy to answer any queries you may have.
You can call or text me on: 07475 520419 or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have 17 years experience in private practice and have been working for two counselling organisations, namely Havering and Brentwood Bereavement Service (HBBS) and Renew (ex. West Ham Central Mission, WHCM) between February 2013 and April 2016.
I have been involved in academic research for 27 years. My research has covered many disciplines which include psychotherapy, psychology, social sciences, philosophy (both western and eastern) and the spiritual traditions. Combined with my in-depth knowledge of psychotherapeutic theories, my research activities have allowed me to develop a very effective and accurate model of the human psyche and human psychological life. This model provides a solid foundation for my therapeutic interventions which most of my clients find highly effective, as demonstrated by the testimonials on my website.
Relevant qualifications include:
- PhD & MSc in Psychology
- Diploma in Counselling (BACP accredited course)
- PhD in Philosophy & Sociology - deferred
- MPhil in Philosophy & Sociology (with distinction)
- MA & BA in Philosophy
- BA in History & Social Anthropology
I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/ Psychotherapist and adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Search for meaning
- mid-life crisis
- identity issues
- fear of death
- social-cultural exclusion
- feeling of inadequacy
- exploration of spirituality
- spiritual development.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Jungian therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
The following fees apply:
Individuals: £60 - Concessions are available at £50
A cancellation policy applies (see my website for details).
For further details concerning my services, please consult my website: www.guyvandewalle.co.uk
As well as presenting myself and my services in greater depth, I discuss the tremendous advantages of grounding my practice in my research activities. Being a theory builder rather than a theory follower (which is the general model in my profession) allows me to offer far more effective and responsive solutions to support therapeutic and developmental work.
You will also find a comprehensive FAQ page where I cover the main questions and concerns that one may have prior to getting involved in therapy.
Finally, testimonials from former clients will give you valuable information about what working with me feels like.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekday appointments between 3.00 pm and 8.00 pm. Appointments can be made via email (please leave a mobile number), text or telephone. Calls are welcome between 9.30 am and 9.00 pm
Types of client