Carol Peters MA, MSc, MBACP (Accred), UKCP
As an experienced Counsellor and Psychotherapist I offer you a safe space to express yourself freely, without fear of judgement and in confidence so as to bring about a deeper understanding of yourself and to improve your mental health and wellbeing.
Troubling thoughts and emotional issues may have been whirring around for some time now or have just reared up. It could be that they are triggered by relationship issues, panic, stress and anxiety and you feel so overwhelmed that life is a struggle. It may be that these feelings are difficult to express; they may be deeply private or cause distress to others. It is time for you to unburden yourself, to speak candidly about what these issues are and to be supported with warmth and understanding.
Initially we meet for a 60 minutes assessment session where we explore what you would like from therapy. It can be open ended or, if you prefer short term work. My approach is integrative drawing from psychoanalytic, existential and person-centred perspectives. Together we will look at the issues concerning you and the impact on your life. We will look at coping strategies and how to resolve present day difficulties. To do this we will look at previous experiences in childhood through to adulthood to get a sense of why these experiences may influence and impact you today.
How to get started with therapy.
The first thing to do is to call or email me so as to set up an initial session where we explore what brings you to therapy and what it is that you want to get out of it. After the first session, you can decide if you wish to continue, and if so, we would arrange future sessions; it could be weekly or on a more casual basis. Whether you decide you would like short term or long term work and the frequency of sessions-it's entirely up to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
My qualifications include:
- PG Certificate in Supervision
- MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Roehampton University)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Roehampton University)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Roehampton University)
- MA in Shakespearean Studies (King's College, London)
- BA(Hons)English Literature (Kingston University)
Accredited Member BACP
Registered Member UKCP
Honorary Staff Counsellor for Kingston NHS Hospital Trust.
Counselling in various GP practices.
Counselling in various colleges and further educational settings.
I am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and I am registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapists (UKCP). I am bound by their codes and ethical frameworks for good practice. Furthermore, I carry professional liability insurance and receive on-going supervision so as to maintain professional development and good practice.
Continuing Development includes:
- Couple Dynamics
- Advanced Practitioners Programme in Post Existential Theory, Practice and Research
- Certificate in Attachment Theory
UKCP: The Psychotherapist, Issue 62. p.39
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Jungian therapy
- Person-centred therapy
Photos & videos
Sessions are 50 minutes at a cost of £60 per session.
I accept cash or cheque, or card payment. Fees are paid after each session.
Limited concessions are negotiable.
A fee will be charged for any missed appointments or cancellations without 24 hours notice.
My private practice is 15 minutes walk from Surbiton and Tolworth stations and a short bus journey from Kingston Upon Thames. Bus routes 281, 406, 418, 265 are all within 5 minutes walk as well as free street parking.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available during the working week from 8am-6;30 and on Saturday mornings until 11am.
Types of client