Virginia Sherborne MBACP (Accred.)
I am a qualified counsellor and Accredited member of the BACP, seeing clients at Wellforce in the centre of Sheffield. I have specialist training in bereavement, rape/sexual abuse, trauma and parenting. My clients include young people as well as adults.
I can help you to:
- find a safe space to come to terms with painful experiences
- gain some perspective on your life
- find a way forward if you feel stuck or confused
- understand relationships in your family and beyond
- improve your interpersonal skills
My training and experience:
After starting out training to be an accountant in the City of London, I soon moved over to secondary school teaching in 1988 and continued until 2018. In 2007 I decided to train to be a counsellor at Sheffield Hallam University and I qualified with my Counselling Diploma in 2010.
My first area of special training was at Cruse Bereavement Care. After seeing adult clients for a couple of years, I was invited to train to support bereaved children and young people. Eventually I joined the Cruse Trainers’ Register and helped to train other volunteers. The age range of bereaved people I have worked with spans 6 years old through to 82!
In 2008 I was able to begin seeing clients at Sheffield Rape and Sexual Abuse after completing a rigorous training process. Helping these clients to become more empowered and take control of their lives felt like a great privilege. I also provided therapy part-time as a volunteer at Sheffield Women’s Counselling and Therapy Service.
I began my private practice in 2010. Clients have been choosing to come and see me since then for a wide variety of reasons. Issues have included bereavement, depression, anxiety, sexual abuse, transition to retirement, workplace trauma, anger management, infertility, relationship problems. Sometimes clients knew they wanted counselling, but weren’t sure what the specific issues would be, and they came to me because I had a broad mix of experience, both in my training and in my own life.
Many clients have arrived wanting to talk about parenting, as this is one of my specialist areas. When my son was born in the early nineties, I realised I wanting to be more confident about parenting, so I went on a PET (Parent Effectiveness Training) course. This style of parenting totally matched my own values, and in 2003 I completed the training to become a PET facilitator. Since then I have passed on this valuable learning both to groups and to individuals.
In 2011 I completed the Foundation Course in Art Therapy run by Sheffield NHS trust. This gave me extra insight and skills in helping clients express themselves using creative methods, and I always have art materials available for any clients who feel comfortable or curious about working in this way.
From Sept 2014 to Jan 2017 I studied for an MA in Trauma Studies at Nottingham University - an exciting new challenge.
In 2016 I was awarded the Diploma in Specialist Psychotherapy with Ex-Boarders, led by Nick Duffell.
Between 2016 and 2018 I completed EMDR training Parts 1,2 and 3.
Since September 2017 I have been a tutor for the 2nd year counselling diploma at The Academy:SPACE in Sheffield.
Training, qualifications & experience
Dip HE Counselling
MA Trauma Studies
Parent Effectiveness Training Facilitator Course
Cruse Awareness of Bereavement Course
Cruse Children and Young People's Course
Art Therapy Foundation Course (Sheffield NHS Trust training)
Survivors UK training course
Boarding School Survivors training course for therapists
EMDR training Parts 1 and 2
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Boarding school issues
Life transitions eg retirement, menopause, coming out, leaving home, having children, downsizing, empty nest
Photos & videos
Initial low cost no-obligation assessment session is £25, then £50 per session after that.
Sessions last 50 minutes.
Daytime and evening appointments are available.
- Boarding school survivors: why ex-boarders need specialist therapy
- Child abuse in sport
- Learning parenting skills: long-term effects for the family
- Why are some people passive aggressive?
- Relationship counselling: Can you have it on your own?
- Understanding relationships: the drama triangle
- Naming names
- Parenting for boarding school survivors: how counselling can help
- Counselling for personal development
- Boarding school syndrome
- Is personality change possible?
- Relationships: Understanding your Conflict Style
- What do Teenagers get out of Counselling?
- Men in their 50s
- Do You Repeat The Same Relationship Mistakes?
- Bereavement as a Trigger for Hoarding and for Panic Attacks
- Asperger's: how counselling can help
- Angry or assertive?
- Choosing whether to have children
- Mid-life Crisis
For your peace of mind:
Member of EMDR UK & Ireland Association
Some useful links:
- http://www.survivorsuk.org/ Provides information, support and counselling for men who have been raped or sexually abused. Also provides support for their partners/carers.
- Parent Effectiveness Training http://www.gordontraining.com/parentingprograms.html
- Listen to a podcast interview I did about teenage anxiety: http://jus.shef.ac.uk/mamag2013/jop12ak//health.html
I also provide the following courses:
- "Parent Effectiveness Training" - for parents
- "Supporting Parenting" - for counsellors and psychotherapists
- "Dealing sensitively and appropriately with clients who become emotional and may disclose difficult information" - for massage therapists/reflexologists etc
- "Ecotherapy and bereavement" - for counsellors and psychotherapists
- "Introduction to Ecotherapy" - for counsellors and psychotherapists
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Flexible appointment times.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|