I support clients seeking solutions to a wide range of issues, challenges & distress. This can be achieved, in weekly sessions, through Counselling (shorter term), Psychotherapy (longer term), EMDR Therapy (can be integrated to either of these therapeutic approaches) or to Life Coaching, if considered appropriate.
I have 20 years of post-qualification experience in Counselling & Psychotherapy, and full accreditation and registration as a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy of which Code of Ethics I uphold). My core qualifications are Integrative: (PG Diploma in Integrative Counselling); this favours a stance that attunes finely to the client’s unique needs; responds creatively and adaptively to the individual goals of therapy, and give access to an extended spectrum of clinical modalities.
How does Counselling & Psychotherapy help?
Many personal, every-day life, or professional related problems can be helped through counselling (or psychotherapy). This is about making a positive choice to get the help that you need, when you need. Don't wait until a problem has grown to become unmanageable - rather address the issues early, before they become entrenched.
• Relationships and relational issues, problems in the couple;
• Family system fractures and dysfunctions;
• Bereavement and other losses;
• Psychosexual issues, gender and identity issues;
• Substance abuse and other behavioural dependencies;
• Eating disorders and body issues;
• Depressive and anxious symptomology, including panic attacks, phobias and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder);
• Various types of traumatic disorders: including PTSD, C-PTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and dissociative symptoms;
• Childhood sexual abuse, domestic abuse;
• Work-related issues and emotional distress in the professional life.
What to expect of a therapeutic partnership
Foremost, the aim is to build a good rapport - a therapeutic alliance - where trust and authenticity helps in engaging with issues that are sometimes delicate or painful:
• by gradually exploring your thoughts and feelings;
• by working cooperatively to find a resolution to the problem and helping you to look at situations from different points of view;
• by paying attention to your developmental history, looking at important formative experiences that have contributed to your core beliefs and expectations;
• by seeking to provide empathy and compassion and thus helping foster your own empathy and compassion towards the self and others;
• by addressing together your (maladaptive) attempts at solving problems: involving attempts to avoid emotional pain (through addictions and impulsive behaviours etc);
• by supporting you in facing situations that you have avoided in the past (both external situations and inner emotions), and in finding realistic adaptive solutions to alleviate life's problems.
Most importantly, in all of this, by tracking sensitively the timing and context of this unique journey. The map is provided but you are the traveller !
Training, qualifications & experience
PG Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy (2001).
Over 20 years practice, helping individuals transforming their experience of self and others, recovering integrity and resilience: acquiring confidence and self compassion and reaching out to their potentials, being enabled and fully vitalised individuals.
Over 10 years of in-depth further training and professional development with experts in the field of Attachment, Neuropsychology & Trauma & Dissociation; encompassing the many variants within a spectrum of disruptions, disorders, dysfunctions: impacting on the many levels of the experience of self: the neurophysiological, the emotional and the mental/psychological levels of existence.
To substantiate my further professional qualifications and expertise, I am also a member of organisations that advocate trauma informed approaches, ESTD (European Society for Trauma & Dissociation) and its UK Network; EMDR UK & Ireland (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing).
Aside my private practice, I am providing trauma-based counselling and psychotherapeutic support and interventions to a specialised agency that supports vulnerable women.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Within the category "Dissociation": to note further the inclusion of the more severe end of the spectrum: Dissociative Disorders such as DID, Depersonalisation and Derealisation.
Within the category "Trauma": to note further the inclusion of the more severe end of the spectrum: PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & C-PTSD (Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
£50 to £80 (depending on means and location of sessions, some concessionary fees for students or seniors)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesday,Wednesday & Thursday (different spaces throughout the day and evenings)
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|