Martin Loughna, Dip. in TA Psychotherapy. Registered BACP Member.
Making the decision to approach a talking therapy/counselling service is a huge step and knowing which therapist to choose can be overwhelming. Rest assured that if you choose Yorkshire Counselling & Therapy, I will quickly put you at ease as to what the process will entail. The essence of my approach is to work collaboratively with you to help address your problems. Clients report how empowered they feel by the way I work.
It might be that you are finding it increasingly difficult to cope with low mood, anxiety, relationship issues or other emotional/psychological problems. Alternatively, you may be having physical symptoms which have no clear cause but just won't go away. Regardless, I can help you resolve these issues as well as help you find a more positive and healthy way of being.
Couple therapy can feel daunting, not least because there are often differing expectations and anxieties about the process. As a first step, my role is to help demystify therapy and create a confidential space to develop some common ground; thus ensuring both of you feel heard. I typically find it only takes one or two sessions to feel more at ease.
The range of difficulties which couples bring is vast, but typical examples include:
- Adapting to changes in life circumstances.
- Communication difficulties resulting in frequent arguments and/or ‘drifting apart’.
- Struggling with sexual and/or gender identity.
- Impact of cultural differences such as the differing expectations of the relationship.
- A breakdown in trust.
- Effects of an unhealthy behaviour pattern such as an addiction.
Regardless of whether you want to work to improve your relationship or part on amicable terms, therapy can help. Being trained to an advanced level in Transactional Analysis, with substantial experience, I can help you with the following:
- Understand the origins of your difficulties
- Provide tools and techniques to empower you to reach your goals and/or
- Facilitate a process to enable change.
I see couples on a weekly or fortnightly basis, depending on your availability. In the latter case sessions can be longer than the normal 50mins, if desired. As a first step, I offer a free telephone discussion to help you get a sense of me and decide whether therapy and, in particular, my approach is for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold a Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy (an intensive 4-year training programme) and offer both counselling and psychotherapy. In keeping with best practice, I have a supervisor (TSTA/CTA). For the past 8 years a significant proportion of my caseload has been drawn from GP referrals.
Until recently was course leader and lectured in counselling which, combined with extensive experience of working in the NHS and local authority, serves to enrich the service I can offer to clients. At a more personal level, I have for many years held passionate interest in the wider factors contributing to health and well-being. In essence, all this means I am adept at working holistically.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Whilst I work with men, women and couples, all regardless of sexuality, culture, race, ethnicity and religious background I also have particular areas of interest as follows:
- Relationship difficulties whether they be as a couple or the wider family.
- People with addictions.
- People with anger management issues.
- Helping people overcome anxiety, depression and/or lack of motivation.
- People with long term conditions.
- People struggling with aspects of identity.
I offer a free initial telephone consultation service.
For individual clients in employment the base rate charge per 50 minute session is £45.
I also offer a limited number of concessionary/reduced cost places dependent upon income. Please contact me for more information.
I use a room in my house which is in the S2 area (Heeley and Meersbrook) of south Sheffield. The space is comfortable and quiet with a positive therapeutic feel to it.
My location in Sheffield is 10 mins walk from the A61 and very close to a number of bus routes (18, 10, 10a, 56, 252, 721). The tram is about 20 mins walk away. For further information on public transport to south Sheffield see www.travelsouthyorkshire.com to plan your journey.
Between Huddersfield & Holmfirth:
I rent a comfortable and quiet room in Armitage Bridge which is close to Berry Brow railway station and about 2.5 miles from Huddersfield town centre. Here is the Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/DwgSeSL6x232
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
8am to 8pm during weekdays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|