Melanie Anne Youngman
BA (Hons) Dip Couns MBACP (Accredited)
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Which Counsellor do you choose? Do you select one with the most qualifications? The one with the most letters after their name? The kindest face in the profile picture? Do you choose the most expensive one or the cheapest? I would encourage you to trust your intuition when selecting a Counsellor and allow your inner knowing to help you choose.
My approach as a Counsellor combines honesty, care and non-judgement to help you work towards a better understanding of yourself. I know through both personal and professional experience that there are times in life when we all need some help along the way - to acknowledge this takes courage. l have worked as a Counsellor for over 14 years with a wide variety of issues and work with both individuals and couples.
My particular area of interest is Trauma and I have completed additional training/qualifications to be able to work with this specialist area. Working with Trauma/Complex Trauma/PTSD requires in-depth understanding of how Trauma affects people as the consequences are often wide ranging and varied.
I have received Accreditation status with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy which means that my practice has been deemed to meet BACP's higher standard as a competent, ethical, independent practitioner.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked as a Support Worker, Counsellor and Support Worker Supervisor for a youth charity in Hampshire for several years supporting vulnerable children and their parents/carers. I am also experienced in community working as a Homestart volunteer supporting families in crisis. I have also worked for an International company as a Personal Development Mentor, coaching young apprentices in addition to working as a Counsellor in private practice. I am also an ex-serving member of HM Forces with an in-depth awareness of the challenges this can bring and the impact this can have on relationships and families.
I am an experienced practitioner working with many issues such as:
- Traumatic experiences/Complex Trauma/PTSD
- Relationship Difficulties
- Life Changes/Transitions
- Difficulties with Self-Esteem
- Eating Issues
- Professional/Career Issues
- College/School Issues
- Stress Management
- Emotional/Physical/Sexual Abuse
- Gender Issues
- LGBTQ+ Related Issues
- Overwhelming/Unfamiliar feelings
I currently offer therapy in a number of ways:
- In person sessions at my private practice
- Online via Zoom
- Telephone sessions
- Walk and talk therapy which is counselling whilst walking in nature either around Alver Valley country park or Lee on Solent beach
Qualifications and Continuous Professional Development
- Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP Accredited)
- BA (Hons) in Counselling (Integrative)
- BTEC Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Person Centred)
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
- Diploma in Trauma Therapy
- International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy (IARTT) Certificate
- National Open College Network Accreditation Course for Voluntary Work in Youth Counselling
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- NCFE Level 3 Counselling Skills and Theory Certificate
- NCFE Level 2 Counselling Skills Certificate
- Introduction to Counselling Skills Certificate
- Introductory certificate in Trauma and Recovery
- Certificate in Ecotherapy and Walk and Talk
- Working with Sandtrays Certificate
- Transgender awareness Training
- Depression Awareness workshop
- Autism Awareness Training
- Trauma: Somatisation and Dissociation Certificate
- Relational Trauma and working with Disorganised Attachment
- Working with Addiction: underlying causes
- Working with bereaved clients
- Self Care and the way between Self-Harm training
- Dyslexia/Dyspraxia Awareness Training
- Safeguarding Training
- Safeguarding Children and Child Protection Awareness Certificate
- Unconditional Positive Regard (Acceptance) Workshop
- Caring for the Carer Development Training
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Awareness workshop
- Person-Centred Art Therapy
- Working with young people Training certificate
- Home-Start Volunteer Course
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£60.00 per session
Concessions offered for
- Due to the very high demand for therapy services right now, I am not currently taking on new clients until June/July 2022.
- Please either call, text or email me with your enquiry. I always try to respond on the same day. Payments can be made by card, cash, Paypal, bank transfer or izettle card payment.
- 1st session - £50 for 1 hour
- subsequent sessions cost £60 per 1 hour session
- 1st session - £60 for 1 hour
- subsequent sessions cost £70 for 1 hour or £80 for 1.5 hours
When I work
Daytime Appointments Monday to Thursday from 9.00am (Last evening appointment is 7.30-8.30pm)
Friday Appointments from 9.00am to 4.30pm.
Please note that my therapy room is located on the first floor and unfortunately is not wheelchair accessible.