Melanie Anne Youngman BA (Hons) Dip Couns MBACP (Accredited)
Which Counsellor do you choose? Do you select one with the most qualifications? The one with the most letters after their name? The kindest face in the profile picture? Do you choose the most expensive one or the cheapest? I would encourage you to trust your intuition when selecting a Counsellor and notice if you feel yourself gravitating towards a particular person.
My approach as a Counsellor combines honesty, care and non-judgement to help you work towards a better understanding of yourself. I know through both personal and professional experience that there are times in life when we all need some help along the way - to acknowledge this takes courage. l have worked as a Counsellor for 13 years with a wide variety of issues and work with both individuals and couples.
I have received Accreditation status with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy which means that my practice has been deemed to meet BACP's higher standard as a competent, ethical, independent practitioner.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked as a Support Worker, Counsellor and Support Worker Supervisor for a youth charity in Hampshire for several years supporting vulnerable children and their parents/carers. I am also experienced in community working as a Homestart volunteer supporting families in crisis. I have also worked for an International company as a Personal Development Mentor, coaching young apprentices in addition to working as a Counsellor in private practice. I am also an ex-serving member of HM Forces with an in-depth awareness of the challenges this can bring and the impact this can have on relationships and families.
I am an experienced practitioner working with many issues such as:
- Anxiety and Phobias
- Relationship Difficulties
- Life Changes/Transitions
- Difficulties with Self-Esteem
- Eating Issues
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Professional/Career Issues
- College/Graduate/School Issues
- Sexual Abuse
- Stress Management
- Traumatic Experiences
- Emotional Abuse
- Gender Issues
- LGBTQ Related Issues
- Overwhelming/Unfamiliar feelings
Qualifications and Continuous Professional Development
- Currently undergoing Diploma in Trauma Therapy
- Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP Accredited)
- BA (Hons) in Counselling (Integrative)
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person-Centred Couples Counselling
- BTEC Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Person Centred)
- International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy (IARTT) Certificate
- National Open College Network Accreditation Course for Voluntary Work in Youth Counselling
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- Certificate in Ecotherapy and Walk and Talk
- Working with Sandtrays Certificate
- NCFE Level 3 Counselling Skills and Theory Certificate
- NCFE Level 2 Counselling Skills Certificate
- Introduction to Counselling Skills Certificate
- Introductory certificate in Trauma and Recovery
- Transgender awareness Training
- Depression Awareness workshop
- Autism Awareness Training
- Trauma: Somatisation and Dissociation Certificate
- Relational Trauma and working with Disorganised Attachment
- Working with Addiction: underlying causes
- Working with bereaved clients
- Self Care and the way between Self-Harm training
- Dyslexia/Dyspraxia Awareness Training
- Safeguarding Training
- Safeguarding Children and Child Protection Awareness Certificate
- Unconditional Positive Regard (Acceptance) Workshop
- Caring for the Carer Development Training
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Awareness workshop
- Person-Centred Art Therapy
- Working with young people Training certificate
- Home-Start Volunteer Course
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 per session
Concessions offered for
- Please either call, text or email me with your enquiry. I always try to respond on the same day. Payments can be made by card, cash, Paypal, bank transfer or izettle card payment.
- 1st session - £40.00 for 1 hour
- subsequent sessions cost £50.00 per 1 hour session
- 1st session - £50 for 1 hour
- subsequent sessions cost £60 for 1 hour or £70 for 1.5 hours
Daytime Appointments Monday to Thursday from 9.00am (Last evening appointment is 7.30-8.30pm)
Friday Appointments from 9.00am to 4.30pm.
I currently have no available evening appointments.
Please note that my therapy room is located on the first floor and unfortunately is not wheelchair accessible.