Mary Leader, BSc, Dip Adults, Children, Young People, Clinical Supervisor, MBACP
Welcome to my Counselling Directory site.
We all have challenges within our lives. If you are struggling or having problems you may be experiencing stress, depression, anxiety, relationship issues, grief, addiction, learning disabilities or mood disorders. As a professional therapist I can help you manage these challenges through therapy and counselling.
As a client you may come with a wide range of complex issues and together we will focus on any particular concerns and development issues you may have. We will explore how to manage your specific problems, making choices, coping with a crisis, feelings of inner conflict and improving your relationship with others.
I am an Integrative counsellor from a person centered background which means the approach that I will use will be determined by the challenges you may be facing. I will treat you with respect and acceptance of your uniqueness which will enable our relationship to be built on trust and will help you gain self-acceptance and promote a positive change.
Your decision to come to counselling can be quite daunting but if you feel that the service I provide could help you then don’t hesitate to contact me on one of the above numbers in strict confidence and with no obligation.
My practice is located in a quiet and discrete location within the village of Clifford which is near Wetherby/Boston Spa with off street parking.
I have supervision for my professional development in line with BACP guidelines.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered Membership of MBACP
- Degree in Therapeutic Counselling
- Diploma in Theory & Practice of Counselling
- Diploma in working with Children and Young People.
- BACP Working with Mental Health in the workplace (2019)
- Ethical dilemmas in Children’s Palliative Care (2019)
- All mandatory training Equality, Diversity, Human Rights Safeguarding adults and Governance Awareness (2019)
- Safeguarding Children (Level 3) Forget me not children’s hospice (2018)
- Practising Existential Therapy Professor Ernesto Spinelli (2018)
- Essential Supervision update for clinical Supervisors Skills British Psychological Society(SBPS) Manchester (2018)
- Societal rape myths & traumatic reactions (April 2018)
- Supervision Skills (September 2018)
- Existential Therapy (October 2018)
- Level 3 Safeguarding Children(December 2018)
- Incident Debriefing Facilitator Training (2018)
- Supervision: relationship, authority & ethics (November 2017)
- Integrating artwork into counselling practice(October 2017)
- BACP Working safely &therapeutically with domestic abuse (April 2017)
- Detox Anxiety Live Well Stress Less (May 2016)
- PODS Trauma & the Body: Somatisation & Dissociation (March 2016)
- Effectively Treating Shame & Self-Criticism Using Compassion Focused Therapy Professor Paul Gilbert (August 2016)
- BACP Universities & Colleges Conference ‘Innovation and care’ (2015)
- BACP Certificate of Registration (2014,15,16,17,18,19)
- BACP Professional Develop Day York (2014)
- Introduction to Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) & Hypnotherapy St Gemma’s Hospice (2014)
- Spirituality, Beliefs & Culture St Gemma’s Hospice (2013)
- Endings & Book Review St Gemma’s Hospice (2013)
- Managing Eating Disorders in the Community Leeds Counselling (2012)
- Create Lasting Change Using the Power of the Inner Child, Leeds Counselling Penny Parkes (2011)
- Celebrating Mental Health & Masculinity Leeds Metropolitan University (2011)
- Therapeutic Play Techniques with Children (2010)
- Bradford complementary therapists in cancer care, Bradford Cancer Support (2009)
- Awareness in bereavement care, the foundation course, Cruse (2009)
- Cruse bereavement after suicide, Doncaster Royal Infirmary (2009)
- Safeguarding children, Kirklees NHS (2009)
- Counselling children and young people, ESCAYP Emotional Support for Children and Young People (2009)
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Manchester Centre for CBT(2008)
- Working with depression, new thinking and effective interventions, Skills Development Services Ltd (2008)
- CTI counselling training programme, Counselling Training Initiatives Ltd (2005)
Experience, have delivered counselling services/roles for the following organisations:
Forgetmenot Children's Hospice(December2017)
- LPP (London Psychiatrists and Psychology Consulting) (May 2013- Sept 2015)
- St Gemma’s Hospice Leeds (June 2012- July 2015)
- Titus Salts Grammar School, Bradford (2008- July 2014)
- Future Prospects, York (2009-2012, evening service)
- Cancer Support, Bradford (2008-2010):
- Cruse Bereavement GP Surgery, Wakefield (2007-2008):
- NHS (1999-2007)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Individuals £45 for 60 minutes
Couples £50 for 60 minutes
Concessions may be available for those on low incomes or students, please ask.
Private, comfortable and secure counselling room available in a quiet road with off street parking.