(WellSpaceNI), PG Dip Counselling & Psychotherapy, Reg. MBACP
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
HOW I WORK WITH YOU...
- I offer a highly professional, safe and confidential space for counselling. You will be welcomed with warmth and non-judgement for sharing any issue. Working from a humanistic, integrative model means I aim to ensure our sessions are tailored to suit your individual needs.
- This Person-Centred approach recognises that you are the expert on your own life and that with the right type of support from the right counsellor, you will be able to create positive change in your life. View more here: https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/person-centred-therapy.html
- We can work collaboratively and at your own pace. This means we can either agree a focus for short-term goals or use sessions in an open-ended way, giving flexibility for both the issues you bring and the counselling time-frame.
- My service is confidential within the boundaries of the BACP Ethical Framework, (the code of ethics under which I practice.) You may view this here: https://www.bacp.co.uk/events-and-resources/ethics-and-standards/ethical-framework-for-the-counselling-professions/
HOW COUNSELLING CAN HELP YOU...
- Supports you to deepen understanding of your issues.
- Helps you develop coping strategies to manage difficulties.
- Strengthens your capacity for emotional resilience.
- Empowers you to challenge yourself in new ways.
- Aids personal growth and self-awareness.
- Provides you with a safe space to express feelings without fear of judgement.
- Offers clarity and insight when you feel 'stuck.'
- Equips you to make hard decisions in order to move forward in life.
- Enables you to process painful experiences.
- Builds mechanisms for accepting or overcoming distressing events.
- Improves your ability to care for yourself and others in your life.
- Creates opportunities for you to think differently about your circumstances.
- Fosters a stable working relationship where you can feel secure.
- Encourages self-belief and generates renewed hope.
NEXT STEPS TO TAKE...
- In addition to email enquiries, I offer a free initial consultation over the phone up to 30 minutes. You will have opportunity to share your current concerns and ask me any questions you might have. We can decide together if you feel ready to begin counselling.
- To arrange this, please email or call using the details above. I aim to respond within 48 hours.
- In general, face-to-face sessions last 50 minutes and occur at the same time-slot on a weekly basis. Alternatives to this can be discussed and adapted to support your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered Membership: British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy: BACP
- Registered EAP Provider: Employee Assistance Professionals Association: EAPA (through The Validium Group)
- PG Dip. Person-Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP Accred.) - University of Strathclyde
- Cert. Counselling Skills (COSCA Accred.) - Centre of Therapy
- Cert. Therapeutic Use of Mindfulness - Irish Mindfulness Academy
- Cert. Solution Focused Brief Therapy - Validium Group Ltd.
- Cert. Critical Incident Stress Management - ICISF
Areas of special interest and experience
- Perinatal Mental Health (National PND Charity)
- Work-related issues (EAP Providers)
- Eating disorders and related issues (Peer Support Groups)
- Working with families and young people (NSPCC and Sure Start)
CPD / Further Training
- Trauma in the Workplace: Resilience and Recovery - KRTS Int. Ltd.
- Living Life to the Full - CCBT trained (IAPT recommended)
- International Trauma Recovery Summit - Action Trauma
- GDPR training - Validium House Glasgow
- Email Skills for Counsellors - OLT for Counsellors ltd.
- Working with Perpetrators of Domestic Abuse - ACT Counselling Services
- Treating Generalised Anxiety & Panic Attacks - Mindbody Breakthrough
- Gender-based Violence: BME women, CYPs - Shakti, Asian Women's Aid
- Mothering in the Context of Domestic Violence - Scottish Women's Aid
- Treating the Trauma of the Troubles - School of Sociology, QUB
- Anger Management - ISM Psychological Services
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction - Glasgow Mindfulness Centre
- Trauma Pathways and Psychological First Aid - Validium House Glasgow
- Understanding Eating Disorders - B-eat
- Understanding Perinatal Mental Health - Bluebell PND Service
- Managing Self-harming Behaviour - HarmLess Psychotherapy
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Concessions offered for
- Discount offered for block-booked, pre-paid sessions.
- Limited concession rates can be made available to trainees, students or low income clients - please enquire.
When I work
General availability - weekdays and evenings.
- "Thank you for all your work in getting me through this rough patch. I have really valued your kind, insightful and intelligent approach. I hope others can benefit as I have. It is a wonderful service and so important." (PND support)
- "Helen, Just wanted to acknowledge and thank you for all of the support you have given me over the last few weeks. You've been an absolute rock." (EAP support)
- "This is a brilliant service, focusing on assisting my home life prevented overspill into the work place. Many thanks to Helen who was wonderful." (Relationship support)
- "I found this extremely professional and found talking on the phone, rather than face to face, did not impact on its effectiveness. I have recommended this to other people who I know are going through hard times. Helen was the help I needed when I was in a very low place. She gave me back some confidence and helped me on the path I needed to get my life back. Both at work and at home." (OCD support)
- "Thanks for being so kind, supportive & understanding. You've really helped me & it has meant an awful lot to me." (EAP support)