Claire Hanley Stakes MBACP
Hi, my name is Claire.
Sometimes it is hard to talk to family and friends. You may just need that one person who takes the time to listen. Maybe your feeling stuck and would like help in finding a way forward.
I offer therapy from a lovely peaceful counselling and therapy practice in the centre of Wakefield which has a pay and display car park just outside. I also see clients at Open Minds Counselling Service in Doncaster. I work on both a long and short-term basis using predominantly a person-centred approach, although I do integrate other ways of working to best suit you and your needs, as we as individuals are all unique.
I do appreciate that therapy may be an emotionally challenging experience. So therefore, I will work with you, at your pace, to help you, find your answers. I provide a safe place and time to talk to you, in a confidential environment where you will be accepted for who you are, without any judgement, with the aim to building a genuine therapeutic relationship of respect, empathy and trust.
Therapy can help you resolve complicated thoughts and feelings or find ways to help you live with them. It can help you recognise unhelpful patterns in the way that you think or act and find ways to change, if this is what you want. It can also help you explore and find the root causes of long-standing problems.
People often look to access therapy when they have experienced difficult life events such as bereavement. This may be the loss of a loved one, a job, a pet or a home. Relationship problems. Upsetting or Traumatic experiences, whether this is something recent or something that happened a long time ago. It may be that you are experiencing difficult emotions, such as grief, guilt, sadness, confusion, anger, shame or low self-esteem. Or you may be struggling with depression, anxiety, other mental health conditions, stress or long-term physical health problems.
Training, qualifications & experience
As well as working in private practice, I also offer counselling to a non-for-profit Charity Counselling Service in Doncaster for adults and children from the age of 13. I also have 12 years’ experience working for a non-for-profit Charity based organisation supporting Adults, Children and families from various cultural backgrounds with a variety of complex needs. I have particular experience in Domestic abuse, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Low self-esteem, The impact of suicide and self-harm on the individual, family and friends, Suicidal ideation, Personality disorders, Eating disorders, Learning difficulties, Autism, Trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Sexual / Psychological / Physical abuse and Neglect, Childhood issues, Anger issues, Bereavement, Drug and Alcohol misuse.
I continue to work extremely hard in my continued professional development to enhance my knowledge, practice and the therapy I offer.
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
- Working with complex trauma recovery stage 1. Safety and stabilisation. 2-day workshop.
- Understanding childhood sexual exploitation, the grooming process and how to recognise the signs workshop.
- Women and Girls on the Autism Spectrum training. - The National Autistic Society.
- Dissociative identity disorder, understanding trauma responses and how to work safely with complex trauma workshop.
- Working with Nightmares and Dreams. 2-day workshop.
- NCFE CACHE Certificate in understanding children and young people’s mental health.
- Working with complex trauma recovery. Stage 2. Single and Multiple Trauma processing. 2-day workshop.
- TQUK Certificate in understanding Autism. (RQF)
- Bereavement workshop.
- Inner Child Therapy, 3-day workshop.
- ABC Diploma in Couples and Family Therapy.
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 certificate in Dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties. - Ongoing.
- Signature - British Sign Language – Ongoing.
- Advanced Diploma in Child psychology. – Ongoing.
- Working towards my BACP Accreditation. Ongoing.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
My fees are £40.00 per hour for individual counselling and £50 per hour for couple counselling. However, where cost may be a problem, I do offer concession places and I am open to discuss an affordable rate. I also offer a discount to counselling students for their own personal therapy.
My availability is Monday to Saturday.
Contact Details: Phone: 07517 175839 or Email
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Saturday.
Types of client