Claire Hanley Stakes MBACP
Hi, my name is Claire.
Are you feeling overwhelmed. Maybe your feeling stuck and would like help in finding a way forward.
I offer therapy from a lovely peaceful counselling and therapy practice in the centre of Wakefield which has a pay and display car park just outside. I also see clients at Open Minds Counselling Service in Doncaster. I also offer counselling via video link or telephone. I work on both a long and short-term basis using predominantly a person-centred approach, although I do integrate other ways of working to best suit you and your needs, as we as individuals are all unique.
I do appreciate that therapy may be an emotionally challenging experience. So therefore, I will work with you, at your pace, to help you, find your answers. I provide a safe place and time to talk to you, in a confidential environment where you will be accepted for who you are, without any judgement, with the aim to building a genuine therapeutic relationship of respect, empathy and trust.
Therapy can help you resolve complicated thoughts and feelings or find ways to help you live with them. It can help you recognise unhelpful patterns in the way that you think or act and find ways to change, if this is what you want. It can also help you explore and find the root causes of long-standing problems.
People often look to access therapy when they have experienced difficult life events such as bereavement. This may be the loss of a loved one, a job, a pet or a home. Relationship problems. Upsetting or Traumatic experiences, whether this is something recent or something that happened a long time ago. It may be that you are experiencing difficult emotions, such as grief, guilt, sadness, confusion, anger, shame or low self-esteem. Or you may be struggling with depression, anxiety, other mental health conditions, stress or long-term physical health problems.
Training, qualifications & experience
As well as working in private practice, I also offer counselling to a non-for-profit Charity Counselling Service in Doncaster for adults and children from the age of 11. I also have 12 years’ experience working for a non-for-profit Charity based organisation supporting Adults, Children and families from various cultural backgrounds with a variety of complex needs. I have particular experience in Domestic abuse, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Low self-esteem, The impact of suicide and self-harm on the individual, family and friends, Suicidal ideation, Personality disorders, Eating disorders, Learning difficulties, Autism, ADHD, Trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Sexual / Psychological / Physical abuse and Neglect, Childhood issues, Anger issues, Bereavement, Drug and Alcohol misuse.
I continue to work extremely hard in my continued professional development to enhance my knowledge, practice and the therapy I offer.
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
- Working with complex trauma recovery stage 1. Safety and stabilisation. 2-day workshop.
- Understanding childhood sexual exploitation, the grooming process and how to recognise the signs workshop.
- Women and Girls on the Autism Spectrum training. - The National Autistic Society.
- Dissociative identity disorder, understanding trauma responses and how to work safely with complex trauma workshop.
- Working with Nightmares and Dreams. 2-day workshop.
- NCFE CACHE Certificate in understanding children and young people’s mental health.
- Working with complex trauma recovery. Stage 2. Single and Multiple Trauma processing. 2-day workshop.
- TQUK Certificate in understanding Autism. (RQF)
- Bereavement workshop.
- Inner Child Therapy, 3-day workshop.
- ABC Diploma in Couples and Family Therapy.
- NCFE CACHE Level 2 certificate in Dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties.
- ADHD awareness.
- Signature - British Sign Language level 1
- Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy.
- Sexual Abuse- Hope for Healing.
- Working creatively workshop.
- Working with Relational Trauma - dealing with attachment.
- Dealing with Distress. Working with Suicide and Self Harm.
- Trauma and the Body. Somatisation and Dissociation.
- Mental Health and the Body. Treating Trauma.
- Working with Shame.
- Working towards my BACP Accreditation. Ongoing.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fees are £40.00 per hour for individual counselling and £50 per hour for couple counselling. However, where cost may be a problem, I do offer concession places and I am open to discuss an affordable rate. I also offer a discount to counselling students for their own personal therapy.
My availability is Monday to Saturday.
Contact Details: Phone: 07517 175839 or Email