Sharron Wardman-Browne, Counsellor & Supervisor (MA) MBACP Reg & Accredited
- This is your opportunity to explore whatever is troubling you and make changes in your life with confidence and support
Who am I?
I am a fully qualified BACP accredited and registered integrative psychotherapist. I have 20 years experience of working in this field, including working in the NHS with people who are living with a cancer diagnosis, mental health services for anxiety and low mood, bereavement, pregnancy loss and hospice services, leading charities for trauma and abuse, in a university, college and schools.
I believe in the uniqueness of each individual and make a wholehearted commitment to help you renew hope, build a robust and positive sense of who you are and take steps towards a more fulfilling life.
Who can I help?
- Young People and Children
What can I help you with?
Anxiety, depression, worry or low mood, low self-esteem, relationship difficulties or breakdown, stress and work stress, stress management, bereavement and loss, traumatic events and its effects, interpersonal abuse, domestic abuse, gender issues and transition, sexuality, anger management, life challenges, phobias, eating disorders, attachment disorders, panic attacks, infertility, pregnancy loss, personality disorders, dissociation, derealisation, bi-polar, borderline, OCD, addiction and addictive behaviours, living with a chronic illness, pain management, distressing thoughts and feelings, spirituality and making meaning in our lives. All issues relating to adoption and foster care - I am a LINK approved adoption counsellor
How can I help?
My approach is to work collaboratively with you. You will be met with warmth, compassion and understanding, creating a trusting safe space for you to discuss whatever is troubling you at your own pace, in an environment that is non-judgemental, calm and confidential. Working in partnership we will decide together what you want to work on and I draw upon my experience and training to tailor the therapy to achieve the best outcome for you. As an experienced integrative therapist, I can offer various counselling approaches including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and mindfulness.
Counselling and CBT aim to give you a better understanding of yourself, any difficulties you may be experiencing and how to manage these. Both aim to to improve your mental and emotional well-being, enabling you to take care of yourself better, live your life as fully as possible and to decide how you want to move forward.
Research shows that the essence of a good relationship is based on trust, effective communication, mutual respect and empathy. Couple counselling recognises that maintaining a happy and healthy relationship can be challenging, given the demands of work, children, extended family, friendships, financial pressures and life changes. In my work with couples the focus is on what's happening in the dynamics of your relationship, exploring difficulties and finding strategies to resolve problems. Therapy is an opportunity to explore your relationship in a safe and supportive space so that each of you can openly communicate what you experience in the relationship.
Difficulties that relationship counselling can help with include: arguments, difficulties with communicating, lack of trust, dealing with an affair, differences over how you manage your finances/children/family relationships, feeling your relationship isn't going anywhere, lack of intimacy and/or sex, relationships with step children, wanting different things from the relationship, falling out of love, coping differently with loss, change and bereavement,deciding how you want your relationship to be in the future, separation, divorce and issues related to children.
Children and Young People:
I have 20 years' experience of working with children and young people. In addition to my qualifications to work with adults, I have a three year post-graduate training to specifically work with children and young people aged between 5 and 18. Additionally, I am a trained attachment focused therapist and can help the child/young person safely explore family dynamics and changing relationships.
I believe that all children and young people should have someone to talk to who they do not need to please or protect. I offer a safe place to express fears and concerns and support the young person as they develop coping strategies and new insights to effectively deal with their concerns. I offer traditional talking therapy, but also use creative approaches such as therapeutic drawing and art, sandtray and specialised therapeutic play approaches depending on the child's / young person's age and needs. These are enormously therapeutic and powerful ways to express emotions.
I currently work as a counsellor in schools in the Ipswich area and have experience of working with young people and children with learning difficulties and those with an autism spectrum disorder. I also work with children who have been adopted or are in foster care.
Although I have worked with a variety of issues for children and young people, I have particular expertise in working with: anxiety and depression; bullying; low mood, learning difficulties; behavioural problems; all forms of abuse (or witnessing abuse) bereavement/loss; attachment disorders; separation anxiety; adjustment to new family circumstances; low self esteem and lack of confidence; worries about health, eating disorders and self harm; sexuality, gender issues and transition.
For further information on how I work, please visit my website - https://Ipswichcounselling.wixsite.com/website
Free Initial Discussion and Fees
- I know that looking for the right therapist can be daunting. I offer an initial 20 minute phone discussion free of charge. This will help decide how we can work to ensure that you receive the therapy that is best suited to whatever you bring to therapy. At the end of this initial discussion, it is completely your choice if you wish to continue. It is very important that you find the right counsellor for you. I hope that I will be able to work with you, but if I feel that I am not the right person for you, I will refer you to other experienced and trusted colleagues.
- My standard fees per hour are: £35.00 for individuals, £50.00 for couples
- Concessions: I charge £30 for trainee counsellors. I also have some reduced cost sessions and operate a sliding scale of fees depending on income level of client. Please do ask.
- I will always try to accommodate your time preferences and offer appointments during the day, evening and Saturdays.
- Please contact me by phone or text on 077-070-30113. Alternatively you can contact me via email - email@example.com. I look forward to hearing from you. I will aim to get back to you within 24 hours.
I have extensive experience of counselling individuals, couples, families, adolescents & children (Enhanced DBS Holder).
I have worked as a counsellor in a variety of different settings. I have experience of working as a Bereavement Counsellor with adults, military personnel, young people and children. I have also worked for the Miscarriage Association with issues relating to infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth and depression. I was the Lead Counsellor/Clinical Supervisor at Lighthouse Women's Aid for six years. This agency is dedicated to women and children who have suffered abuse. Some of the issues addressed in this agency included addiction, depression, eating disorders, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), identity and personality disorders, anxiety and all forms of current and historical abuse. I hold a level 3 qualification in working with survivors of rape and sexual abuse and have worked with many issues surrounding current and childhood sexual abuse.
I have four years' experience of counselling in a University Counselling Service, dealing with concerns around gender identity, loneliness, relationship difficulties, stress, anxiety and worries about the future. I am an approved LINK Barnardo's Adoption Counsellor and attachment focused therapist, working with individuals, couples, and families. I have worked for local and national Charities with adults and couples for issues relating to addictions, depression, anxiety, self-harm, chronic illness and cancer.
I work with personality disorders and am a registered PODS (Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors) counsellor. I have taught psychology to Degree level and was the Course Leader for Counselling courses at University Campus Suffolk, teaching counselling to qualified practitioner/degree level.
I currently work:
- As a Clinical Lead and counsellor at Ipswich Hospital, working with people who are living with a cancer diagnosis.
- For a variety of Employer Assisted Programmes, dealing with issues of anxiety, coping with life and work changes, stress and depression
- A counsellor in local schools, working with children, young people and teaching staff.
- For a dedication adoption agency, dealing with all issues surrounding adoption
- In private practice
I work as a Supervisor with Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Nurses and Trainees, as well as having experience of working with teaching staff and helping professions. My supervisory work is underpinned by encouragement, support and reflective practice and is in accordance with the BACP ethical framework. I offer supervision for those working with children, young people, adults and couples. I offer supervision of supervision. Please see my Supervision Profile.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MBACP accredited membership
- MBACP accredited register
- MBACP Counselling Children and Young People (CCYP)
- Play Therapy UK
- Friend of PODS (Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors)
- LINK Barnardo's Approved Counsellor
- CRUSE Bereavement Counsellor
Training, qualifications and experience
My experience embraces working with men and women from different age groups, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation and ethnicity. I have worked with busy business executives, students, senior citizens, vulnerable adults, couples, families, adolescents and children. In fact everyone from 5 to 85!
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Integrative Clinical Supervision
- MA in Integrative Counselling
- MA Education (Psychology)
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Winner of Dean's Award for Faculty Outstanding (Counselling) Student (Anglia Ruskin University)
- BACP Accredited Diploma in Integral Therapeutic Counselling (Distinction)
- BACP Accredited Certificate in Integral Therapeutic Counselling (Distinction)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Child and Adolescent Counselling Training; Accredited Play Therapy UK: Practitioner in Therapeutic Play (Distinction)
- Couples Training: Interpersonal Couple Counselling
- Accredited Bereavement Counsellor; CRUSE Certificate in Bereavement Care; CRUSE Bereavement Care: Working with Children and Young People; CRUSE Bereavement Care: Sudden and Traumatic Death
- Level 3: Rape Crisis Training
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Training
- Masters Level CBT Module
- Registered LINK Barnardo's Adoption Counsellor
- Attachment Focused Therapist
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Child and Vulnerable Adults Protection Training (Suffolk County Council)
- Practitioner Diploma in Life Coaching
- Certificates in Training and Development
- Adult and Children's Safeguarding Certificates
- Continuing Professional Development
- Reiki Training Levels 1 /2/ Spiritual Companion Training
- Body and Soma: Working with trauma or strong emotions that are held in the body
- The Foundations of Trauma Therapy with Babette Rothschild
- Rewind Trauma Technique
- LGBT training; Gender Issues; Transgender Awareness Training; Gender reassignment
- Working with Affairs and Betrayal
- Addiction; Drug Awareness and Reducing Harm
- Working therapeutically with Eating Disorders
- Working Effectively with Adult Surviviors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Sand tray and Symbolic Meaning
- Sign and symptoms of drug use in young people
- Addiction and substance misuse
- Counselling for Depression and Anxiety
Mindfulness. For many years, I have been interested in the body-mind connection and how emotional pain and negative thinking can lead to physical symptoms. I have practised mindfulness for five years and have a particular interest in using mindfulness to improve mental and physical health. I have taught mindfulness on a 1:1 basis with clients. There are many health benefits associated with practising mindfulness including managing stress, reducing anxiety and managing chronic pain.
Inner Child Work: There can be the you who is in the world and a you that does not feel so adult. This can be through arrest of development as a child, through trauma, memories that you are unable to move away from or where you have got stuck.
I hope that information above tells you something about me regarding some of my training and experience. I am always happy to answer any questions. I hold an enhanced DBS Certificate. I am committed to my own personal ongoing professional development and I attend various training and workshops. I fully adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework and engage in regular supervision.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with:
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Spirituality - spiritual companionship
Physical disability (Therapy for the disabled or their carers)
The impact of living with chronic ill-health, or being diagnosed with a condition or disease that has brought you face to face with your mortality. Facing your fears whilst keeping a sense of yourself. I also offer well-being counselling/coaching looking holistically at your life and relationships.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Jungian therapy
- Person-centred therapy
- Play therapy
I offer a comfortable, quiet and confidential service based in Capel St Mary conveniently situated near the A12/A14 and with easy access to Ipswich, Felixstowe, Hadleigh, Colchester and surrounding areas.There is ample "off road" secure free parking. I also offer counselling in central Ipswich.
I try to make my therapeutic work accessible and affordable to all. I offer a free, without obligation initial 20 minute telephone consultation.
I offer face-to-face, Skype and telephone counselling.
1:1 Therapy Session: £35 per hour
Couple Counselling - £50.00 per hour
I charge £30.00 for trainee counsellors. I also have some reduced cost sessions and operate a sliding scale of fees depending on income level of client. Please do ask.
All sessions are subject to a cancellation fee of £25.00 unless 24 hours notice is given.
I undertake regular supervision every month to adhere to BACP requirements and hold professional Indemnity insurance. I hold an enhanced DBS Safeguarding Certificate.
I offer supervision to those working with children, young people and adults. I have considerable experience of working with supervisees who work with bereavement, addiction, domestic abuse, childhood sexual abuse, depression and anxiety and those who work as school counsellors.
£40.00 per hour for qualified counsellors.
£28.00 per hour (or £42.00 for 90 minutes) for students in training and/or volunteer counsellors
I practice counselling and psychotherapy in a private, confidential setting in Capel St Mary (IP9). There is ample free car parking available.
My availability is Monday - Friday 9.30 am to 8.00 pm and Saturdays.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day time, evenings and Saturdays. Face to face, Skype, Telephone and home visits
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
The supervision I offer is relational and integrative. I am an experienced supervisor and successfully completed a 18 month Post-Graduate Diploma in Clinical Supervision.