I am a HCPC registered art psychotherapist, clinical supervisor and founder of Art Therapy Derby. I work with adults, children and young people and other professionals. I offer both face-to-face sessions from my office in Derby and online work from wherever you are in the world.
Over the 18 months, due to Covid-19, I had to develop my practice to include online work. Online art therapy can be a safe and very powerful way of working, and it requires specific training and skills.
I can offer video, voice, text or email sessions through safe platforms. Or you can chose to have a blended work, which combins both face-to-face and online sessions, to meet your needs, preferences an circumstances. Online art therapy can be really suited to those that would not be able to access Art Therapy Derby in person due to their locality, covid restrictions or simply because you prefer to access therapy from the comfort and safety of your home..
I have now completed my Diploma in Online Counselling and Psychotherapy; the highest standards of training in online therapy; I am registered with ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online) Level 3 Senior Professional Member.
I work with adults, children, young people and their families as well as other professionals. I offer:
Art psychotherapy to:
- Cildren and young people
- Parents and carers
- Art therapists and counsellors in practice and in training
Clinical Supervision to:
- Art psychotherapists
- Psychotherapists and counsellors (in practice and in training)
- Health and caring professionals
- Parents and carers
- Health, care and teaching professionals
- Children’s residential homes care teams
- Schools (mainstream, special needs and EBD)
Training and workshops (half and full days) to:
- Therapists and counsellors
- Caring professionals
- General public
- Children’s residential care staff
- Schools (mainstream, special needs and EBD)
For over the past 30 years I have been working with vulnerable children and adults in various setting and in various capacities. For nearly 13 years, since I mastered in Art Therapy, I have been working with adults, children and young people and with all those around them (parents, carers and professionals) in the community, children's residential homes and schools (mainstream, special needs and EBD schools).
I take a psychodynamic approach which means that the therapeutic relationship built between the client and I is central to the success of the therapy. Too often the difficulties we have in our lives are rooted in past relationships; how we learnt to relate to others and to ourselves. Through exploring and reflecting in our relationships we have with ourselves and the relationships we hold with our histories and important people in our lives, these relationships tend to improve.
You do not have to be good at art to use art therapy, and there might be times when you do not wish to do any art work at all. The use of art in art therapy is to facilitate expression and exploration. At times words may not be able to describe your experiences, thoughts or feelings; in fact, words can at times become useless, distractive or make things even more confusing. Through the use of art and art-making, symbols and symbolic play you may express yourself in a clearer way and start seeing things differently. I do not interpret your work or offer any diagnosis or conclusion. I observe and support art making and share curiosity in your explorations and processes.
If you think I can help, get in touch. I offer a free Introductory Meeting, face to face or online, to discuss your needs in more detail before committing to the therapy work.
For more information visit my website on www.arttherapyderby.com
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2021- Diploma in Online Counselling and Psychotherapy- ACTO Level 3- Senior Professional Member (Academy for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- 2015- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Supervision- Level 7 (University of Derby)
- 2009- MA in Art Therapy (University of Derby)
- 2005- BA in Creative Expressive Therapies (University of Derby)
I am a Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) registered art psychotherapist, a full member of British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT), registered with Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and Level 3, Senior Professional Member of the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO). I abide by all their Code of Ethics and Professional Practice guidance and standards.
I am particularly interested in:
- Anxiety and depression,
- Autism and ADHD
- Mental health and education,
- The impact of early life trauma, neglect and abuse the areas of child development,
- Professional development and self-care.
To ensure safe practice:
- I have an up-to-date DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Services- previously known as Criminal Record Bureau- CRB),
- I hold a Professional Indemnity Insurance,
- I attend regular and high-quality clinical supervision,
- I invest on my professional development and personal self-care,
- I attend regular and up-to-date continuum professional development (CPD) training
- I keep up-to-date with relevant policies for working with vulnerable children and adults.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Art Therapy Derby offers a tailored service to meet your needs. I am happy to meet you, your school or organization to discuss how can Art Therapy Derby support you.
Art Therapy Derby offers both face to face and online:
- Art Psychotherapy
- Clinical Supervision
Free initial in-person, telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
Please check my website for more details on the Fees page:
Mondays to Fridays from 8.30 to 18.30 and some Saturdays from 10.00 to 17.00
Link to my blog page:
How to support your child or adolescent attending therapy
Adult colouring books vs art therapy books, an interesting debate
Arts on prescription- BBC Radio Derby Interview