Catherine Winchester MBACP (Accredited) Therapist and Supervisor
Life is difficult for all of us at some stage or other, sometimes it feels overwhelming and unbearable. You may be struggling but finding it hard to identify what the trouble is. Maybe you do know but don't see a way out. Such feelings often start early in life, leading to confusion, anger, sadness, relationship problems and difficult or dangerous behaviour. This is why I work with children and teenagers, as well as adults.
When you feel low it can be hard to talk to those close to you, for all sorts of reasons. Exploring your feelings and their origins can really help, when it is in confidence with someone who is not only independent but also well-qualified, experienced and caring. It is an opportunity for you to understand your inner world and the meaning behind troubling feelings, problematic behaviour patterns or depression and anxiety, to help you regain control.
I provide a calm, non-judgemental and insightful perspective. My aim is to build a trusting relationship, within strict professional and ethical guidelines. This means working sensitively and appropriately with all my clients, whatever their age or background, towards their individual goals.
Originally trained and qualified in psychodynamic theory and practice to work with adults, I have had over seven years' further training and experience in counselling children and adolescents.
I am recognised by BUPA and several other insurance providers as a therapist for adults and children.
At Henley Counselling I offer
- one-to-one psychodynamic counselling/ psychotherapy for adults of all ages
- one-to-one therapy for teenagers and children, tailored to their understanding and needs
- clinical supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists and other professionals who work in confidential settings with adults, adolescents and children
The list below covers some of the reasons people may want help but I see everyone as an individual, rather than a diagnosis.
Training, qualifications & experience
Reg MBACP (Accred) - Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Therapy.
BSc (Hons) University of St Andrews, Physiology
Postgraduate certificate (Level 7 with distinction) in Psychodynamic Theory and Counselling Skills, University of Reading
Postgraduate diploma (Level 7 with distinction) in Psychodynamic Counselling, University of Reading
Postgraduate diploma (Level 7) in Adult, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Counselling Supervision, Terapia (University of Middlesex)
Certificate in counselling young people, endorsed by BACP
- Counsellor/psychotherapist for adults in private practice, Henley Counselling
- Counsellor/psychotherapist for children and young people in private practice, Henley Counselling
- Counsellor in a primary school, a secondary school, a further education college and a university
- Counsellor working with adults, children and young people for charities in Reading and High Wycombe
- Clinical Manager and Supervisor at No5 Young People in Reading
- Clinical Supervisor of individuals and groups, including trainees and qualified counsellors/psychotherapists, play therapists and social workers
- Committee Member of Reading Therapies Group
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Cutting and other forms of self-harm
Autistic spectrum condition (including Asperger syndrome)
Child sexual exploitation and grooming
Identity and gender issues
Bereavement by suicide
Difficulties arising from boarding school
£50 - 60 for the initial meeting and for each regular session. Concessions are available for student counsellors. Sessions are weekly, at the same time, for 50 minutes.
My dedicated consulting room is in a safe, peaceful and discreet location in Henley-on-Thames. It is on the ground floor and wheelchair accessible (three broad steps outside) but there is no waiting room. There is free parking in the street.
I attend regular top-up training and seminars in topics related to my work. Recently these have included Mindfulness, Autism, Mentalisation Based Therapy, Transgender, Personality Disorders, Social Anxiety in Adolescents, PREVENT, Safeguarding, Working with People with Chronic Illness or Disability, Attachment in the Digital Age, among others.
For further details of how I work, please visit my website: www.henleycounselling.org or contact me by email to arrange an initial meeting.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Counselling room and cloakroom are on the ground floor. There are two widely-spaced steps up to the front door, then another at the threshold. A ramp can be placed there on request. There is free parking in the street outside.
10 am to 8 pm Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer clinical supervision to individuals and groups of up to four, in Henley-on-Thames or at other locations by arrangement. My experience includes supervising trainee counsellors on diploma, undergraduate, masters and doctoral programmes, as well as qualified, experienced counsellors and psychotherapists.