Catherine Winchester MBACP (Accred), Children, Young People, Adults
0774 5269157 (text or voicemail)
Life is difficult for everyone at some stage or other. Sometimes it is hard to identify what the trouble is; sometimes you know but don't see a way out. People feel stuck, yet unable to talk to those close to them. This often starts early, leading to confusion, anger, sadness, relationship problems and so-called "difficult behaviour".
Exploring your feelings and their origins can really help, when it is in confidence with someone who is not only independent but also well-qualified, experienced and caring.
It is an opportunity for you to understand your inner world and the meaning behind troubling feelings, depression and anxiety. I provide a calm, non-judgemental and insightful perspective. My aim is to build a trusting relationship, within strict professional and ethical guidelines. This means working sensitively and appropriately with all my clients, towards their goals.
Since training in psychodynamic theory and practice to work with adults, I have added further training and experience in counselling children and adolescents. This work has been immensely enriching and valuable to me. Not only do I love working with younger people but their experiences help inform my work with adults, who have all passed through these stages in life and whose troubles often originated many years ago.
- one-to-one psychodynamic or integrative therapy for adults of all ages
- one-to-one therapy for teenagers and children, tailored to their needs
- clinical supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists and other professionals who work in confidence with adults, adolescents and children.
Training, qualifications & experience
Reg MBACP (Accred) - Accredited and Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Therapy.
BSc(Hons) University of St Andrews
Postgraduate certificate (Level 7) in Psychodynamic theory and counselling skills, University of Reading
Postgraduate diploma (Level 7) in Psychodynamic Counselling, University of Reading
Postgraduate diploma (Level 7) in Adult, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Counselling Supervision, Terapia (University of Middlesex)
Certificate in counselling young people, endorsed by BACP
- Counsellor/psychotherapist for adults in private practice, Henley Counselling
- Counsellor/psychotherapist for children and young people in private practice, Henley Counselling
- Counsellor in a primary school, a secondary school, a further education college and a university
- Counsellor working with adults, children and young people for charities in Reading and High Wycombe
- Clinical Manager at No5 Young People in Reading
- Clinical Supervisor of individuals and groups, including trainees and qualified counsellors/psychotherapists, play therapists and social workers
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Cutting and other forms of self-harm
Autistic spectrum condition (including Asperger's)
Child sexual exploitation and grooming
Identity and gender issues
Bereavement by suicide
£50 for the initial meeting and for each regular session. Concessions are available for student counsellors. Sessions are weekly, at the same time, for 50 minutes.
My dedicated consulting room is in a safe, peaceful and discreet location in Henley-on-Thames. There is free parking in the street outside.
I attend regular top-up training and seminars in topics related to my work. Recently these have included Mindfulness, Autism, Mentalisation Based Therapy, Transgender, Personality Disorders, Social Anxiety in Adolescents, PREVENT, Safeguarding, Working with People with Chronic Illness or Disability, Attachment in the Digital Age, among others.
For further details of how I work, please visit my website: www.henleycounselling.org or contact me by email to arrange an initial meeting.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
11am to 8pm Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer clinical supervision to individuals and groups of up to four, in Henley-on-Thames or at other locations by arrangement. My experience includes supervising trainee counsellors on diploma, masters and doctoral programmes, as well as qualified, experienced counsellors and psychotherapists.View supervision profile