Ariel Dunnett Counselling & Psychotherapy (Accredited & Registered Member COSCA)
At times we can feel lost inside ourselves, shattered, fragmented and exhausted from trying to be strong.
Maybe it's difficult for you to get your bearings and know your sense of direction. Or maybe you are seeking support to get through a particular life event such as a significant loss. Perhaps you are experiencing relationship difficulties, repeating old unhelpful patterns that leave you feeling bewildered.
I believe that finding someone who genuinely wants to understand how you feel without judgement is a good place to start.
I am a qualified and accredited counsellor and have been practising for 13 years. I work in a way which I believe can support you to unearth the answers you are looking for and to do so in a way which respects you as an individual.
I am an Integrative counsellor with a core model of Transactional Analysis (please see the following link for more information http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/transactional-analysis.html). As an Integrative counsellor I draw on many different models and theories as I believe this offers a flexible and holistic approach specific to you and your needs. Above all else, I aim to offer a safe, warm and welcoming environment and relationship where you can feel free to explore your thoughts and feelings.
Being able to look openly and honestly at where we are in our lives is an essential part of our growth and development. It’s your story, and I provide the conditions for you to tell it and to feel heard and understood. My role is to help you explore your thoughts and feelings in a way that supports you to make any changes you may wish to. Talking about how you feel and being heard is at the centre of the counselling process. Further down the line, it may be helpful to consider unhelpful behaviours, explore fresh perspectives, and different possibilities for change and growth. Working together we can explore where you are now, where you would like to be and how you can work towards getting there.
You may be feeling apprehensive about the prospect of counselling and perhaps you have questions or concerns about the process. If this is the case, I am very happy to discuss these with you. So if you think that I can help you, contact me and we can arrange an initial assessment appointment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2013 - Accredited Diploma in Supervision (Distinction)
- 2009 - COSCA Counsellor Accreditation
- 2004 - Diploma in Counselling (Advanced level)
- 2000 - Certificate in Counselling Skills
I am always looking to develop myself as a counsellor so that I can offer you the best possible service. I have completed many hours of continuing professional development and continue to do further research and training. Below are just a few examples of additional training I have done.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Level 1 & 2
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Skills Essentials workshops
- Certified Laughter Yoga Leader
- Realising Recovery
- Assessment Skills
- Working with dreams
- CBT training workshops
- 5-day Essentials of Psychosynthesis
- Skills workshops using images & symbols
- Working with survivors of sexual abuse
- Dementia Support Worker with Alzheimer's Society
- Bereavement Counselling Service Coordinator & Senior Bereavement Counsellor with Age UK
- Working for Age UK supporting adults with mental health issues/dementia
- Providing counselling to adult carers with VOCAL (Voices of Carers Across Lothians)
- Assessment counsellor for voluntary counselling organisation
- Mental health project work for several voluntary sector organisations
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also have knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Bereavement & Loss
- Anxiety & Depression
- Women's health including Menopause and Perimenopause
- Carers issues
- Initial assessment session - £25 per 40 minute session
- Individual face to face session - £45 per 50 minute session
- Individual telephone session - £40 per 50 minute session
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
For those who find it difficult to access counselling during the day due to work, caring or other commitments I offer the option of evening sessions.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|