Yumiko Kamata, BA (Psych), MS (Coun), MBACP; MBPsS
I am a qualified integrative psychotherapeutic counsellor. Since therapy is not one size fits all, I work in the way that is most suitable to your preference by drawing on a number of established counselling and therapeutic approaches depending on your needs and preference (e.g.psychodynamic, CBT, humanistic). Integrative psychotherapy is also an approach to wellness that recognises the interconnection between mind, body and spirit.
I also integrate a body psychotherapy into my practise if necessary. Body is the container that holds the human pre-verbal experience before the mind labels them.Integrating body's instinctive 'felt sense' into therapeutic approaches you prefer can help us to be aware of what is really going on in the present and to heal underlying issues rooted in the past much more than the mind alone can do...the approach is known to be a safe way to deal with traumas.
I believe that at the heart of resilience is a belief in oneself. The safe and supportive space to work through our personal difficulties would enable us to be in touch with our real needs. A warm, non-judgmental and trustworthy voice is sometimes all you need to resonate with. However; we sometimes benefit from exploring our resources holistically, which may include thoughts, emotions, behaviours, images and physical sensations...
You do not have to suffer alone.
I am empathetic, non-judgmental, engaged and collaborative. Together, we can explore your needs and process what arises using the resources you have.
I also have a good understanding of the challenges that culturally diverse individuals and societies face.
- Individual and Couple---I offer counselling (both short-term and long-term) to individuals and couples to address the challenges that life can bring.
- Older Adults --- During 3-years of my counselling master's course, I took some gerontology classes in order to deal with transitional issues related to ageing. I worked with older adults in Behavioural and Ageing program of non-profit social service agency.
- Children / Young people ---I believe that it is essential to integrate developmental perspectives and a systemic view of the child and his/her relationship with family, school, society and culture. The work with children might start with the child alone and involve the parents/carers later on. Sometimes I start with a parent and if necessary I meet with the child. I currently work as a school counsellor in primary schools.
Training, qualifications & experience
Bachelor of Art (BA) in Psychology (Sophia University, 2000).
Masters of Science (MS) in Counselling (San Francisco State University, 2003).
PG Certification in Clinical Psychology (University of Birmingham, 2015).
*As part of my continuing professional development, I am currently taking Somatic Experiencing (SE) 3-years course.
Registered member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP)
Graduate membership of British Psychological Society (MBPsS) with Graduate Basis of Charted Membership (GBC)
Training & Work Experiences
I got trained in Shiba children's counselling clinic, Family Service agency of San Francisco, primary & secondary schools, Care home, California Pacific Medical Centre (skilled nursing unit / palliative care unit), Non-profit social service agency, Cruse Bereavement Care, Birmingham NHS Queen Elizabeth hospital, Coping with Cancer etc.
I work with adults, older adults, and couples in private practice. I am an associate of Laura Baines-Ball Counselling & Psychotherapy, and I work as a school counsellor.
I hold an enhanced DBS. I am registered with the Information Commissioners Office (Data Protection)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
I practice in 2 locations
1. Leicester (LE1):
Individual £40 (50mins); Couple £60
2. Central London (N1): (Angel tube station & Essex Road railway station)
Individual £60 (55mins); Couple £80 (55mins) or £100 (75mins)
* I have a limited number of low fee spaces available to students and people on a low income. Please contact me for further information.
I provide sessions in English and Japanese.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client