Yumiko Kamata, BA (Psych), MS (Coun), MBACP
I am a qualified integrative therapeutic counsellor.
I started my practice with a person-centred approach. I completed a three-year master's program in 2003 to combine approaches to psychotherapeutic counselling that brings together different elements of specific therapies. I currently work as a school based counsellor.
I offer short-term and long-term counselling to individuals and couples. I also work with young peoples. I believe that at the heart of resilience is a belief in oneself. The safe and supportive space to work through our issues and emotions would enable us to be in touch with our real needs.
I was born in Japan and I’ve spent more than half of my life in France, the United States and the United Kingdom living and working among people of various ethnicities and backgrounds. I have been based in Leicester for 11 years. Prior to my career journey as a Counsellor, I worked for a manufacturing company and French national airline.
I love arts and people. I especially get inspired by life-stories of older adults and symbols in artwork by children. I run Origami group as well. Origami is called focus attention meditation and it enhances mindfulness for people of all ages.
Individual / Couple
- I work with a wide range of issues eg: depression, anxiety, anger, relationship, loss, bereavement, international marriage, self-esteem and cross variety of mental health issues.
Some areas of my expertise are...
People with Cancer / Cancer bereavement
- My own experiences with my father’s cancer illness drew me to start working for people with cancer and his/her families in 2014. I got trained to work with people with cancer within inpatient, outpatient and community settings.
- I am compassionate and non-judgmental, with an understanding of the challenges that culturally diverse individuals and societies face.
Life review therapy with Older Adults
- I worked with Older Adults a lot. Life review therapy has adults refer to the past to achieve a sense of peace or empowerment about their lives.
Children / Young people
- As a school based counsellor, I believe that it is essential to integrate developmental perspectives and a systemic view of the child and his/her relationship with family, school, society and culture. When young children are experiencing difficuties, play and art therapeutic approach including sand tray will be used.
I am happy to discuss whether counselling is for you or not.
Training, qualifications & experience
Bachelor of Art (BA) in Psychology (Sophia University, Tokyo Japan, 2000).
Masters of Science (MS) in Counselling (San Francisco State University, 2003).
Certification in Clinical Psychology (University of Birmingham, 2015).
Registered member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP)
Graduate Basis of Charted Member (GBC) of British Psychological Society (BPS).
Training & Work Experiences
I got trained in Shiba children's counselling clinic, Family Service agency of San Francsico, preschool, Care home, California Pacific Medical Centre (skilled nursing unit / palliative care unit), Social service agency, Cruse Bereavement Care, Birmingham NHS, Coping with Cancer etc.
I have experiences working with adults and older adults. I am currently working with children, adolescence and families at schools in Leicestershire and Derbyshire.
I hold an enhanced DBS. I am registered with the Information Commissioners Office (Data Protection)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Individual £35.00, Couple £45.00
I provide sessions in English and Japanese.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client