Lesley Atkinson-Baldwyn - Registered MBACP
07428528802 / 07428528802
If you believe speaking to someone who is down to earth, in a safe, non-judgemental space would help you then please contact me.
Having reached this point finding the right counsellor can feel daunting and challenging and our first conversation (whether that be via email, phone or face to face) provides an opportunity to experience how it might be to work together.
If it's your first time for counselling you may not know what to expect. I am a relational integrative counsellor which means I trained in a range of approaches. These provide the tools to work with you and what you bring as a unique individual. Past ways of relating to others often have an impact on current relationships and working this way creates a space in which these patterns may be identified and worked with. It also allows you to explore your beliefs about yourself and your place in the world. If we work together there may be tears, but these may be because of joy, sadness, a sense of wonder, perhaps a feeling of relief when something becomes clear, or humour, or possibly a combination of them all!
My experience encompasses a diverse range of issues including (but not limited to) addiction (substance misuse), abuse, anxiety, being heard, bereavement, betrayal, cancer, clarity, depression (including male), gender identity, grief, identity, loss, low self-esteem, relationship/family issues, self harm, suicide, trauma, trichotillomania (hair pulling) and work related stress.
I have held voluntary counselling positions within a number of organisations and this has enhanced my depth of experience and knowledge whilst also reinforcing my belief that all people are valuable. In private practice this philosophy underpins my approach and the relationship we build recognises we are both human beings, and honours our individuality, sameness and difference - working relationally means the relationship we are able to develop is key in how the process works for you.
Prior to becoming a counsellor I was employed in other environments, so consider myself to have a range of life experience. I have also spent a number of years travelling and working in different cultures and have an awareness of difference and diversity.
Please contact me requesting more information if you have any related questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
I completed my foundation degree at The University of Suffolk, gaining a Distinction, and spent two years as the Subject Ambassador for Counselling at the University
I have completed a Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), hold a Diploma in Mindfulness Based CBT (Distinction) and have a certificate in Transactional Analysis. I have completed a BACP accredited course in Couples Counselling.
I am a member of the The Society for Existential Analysis (SEA) and The International Integrative Psychotherapy Association (IIPA), The Suffolk Association of Counsellors and am a registered member of the BACP. I also hold memberships for The International Association of Neuro Linguistic Programming and Coaching (IANLPC) and The International Alliance of Holistic Therapists (IAHT)
Alongside my private practice I am joint lead for counselling and complementary therapies within the Cancer information centre at Ipswich Hospital - this involves developing and running the counselling and therapy provision for cancer patients. I have experience with a diverse range of clients including (but not limited to) those with addiction, anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder, relationship issues, family issues, work related stress, abuse, self harm, depression (including male),feeling sad, low self-esteem, betrayal and gender identity, alongside many others.
My voluntary work has allowed me to develop skills and knowledge within larger organisations and provided depth and breadth to my experience and understanding.
My latest role is as a volunteer for CRUSE which aims to provide information and support to anyone bereaved by death.
I worked for over three and a half years at Iceni Ipswich with substance misusers and their family members. In addition I have helped set up the LGBT counselling service in Suffolk and co-ordinated the counselling provision for over two years. I volunteered with Suffolk MIND for a year and have recently completed my training with CRUSE in bereavement, grief, complex grief and loss.
Some of the courses I have attended:
- Introduction to Existential Therapy – Existential Academy, 2016
- Leadership in Action – Vitae, 2014
- Foundation Course in Substance Misuse – NHS, 2014
- Transgender Awareness Training – Ipswich LGBT Network, 2015
- The Place of Sexuality in the approaches of Klein and Bion – University of Essex CPS, 2015
- Signs and Symptoms of Drug Use – NHS, 2015
- Nature vs Nurture – NHS, 2015
- The Healing Power of Therapeutic Repair – Dr Janina Fisher, 2016
- Meditative Techniques – TSYP, 2016
- Emergency First Aid at Work - Red Cross, 2016
- Understanding Anxiety and Depression – University of Reading, 2016
- Building Trust, Love and Loyalty in Relationships J. Gottman and J. Gottman, 2016
- Overcoming Trauma Related Shame and Self Loathing - Dr Janina Fisher, 2016
- Child Safeguarding - University of Suffolk, 2016
- Safeguarding Adults at Risk – Suffolk MIND, 2016 - CRUSE, 2018
- TA 101 - UKATA (UK Association for Transactional Analysis), 2016
- Drug Awareness and Reducing Harm, NHS, 2017
- Conflict Resolution and Breakaway Training - Suffolk MIND 2017
- Couples Counselling - BACP Accredited, 2017
- ASIST (applied suicide intervention skills training) - LivingWorks, 2017
- Families and Beyond: An Introduction to Systemic Thinking - The Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, 2018
- Bereavement support foundation course (Advanced Specialist training status with the National Counselling Society) - CRUSE Bereavement Care, 2018
- Bereavement support face to face - CRUSE Bereavement Care, 2018
- CBT for older People - University of East Anglia, 2018
Bereavement support by telephone - CRUSE Bereavement Care, 2018
I hope the information above tells you something about me regarding some of my training and experience. I am always happy to answer any questions.
I am also a qualified yoga teacher after completing my two year training in India.
I hold an enhanced DBS certificate and a Level 2 certificate in mental health awareness.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Counselling sessions can be tailored to suit both long or short-term work, dependent on your needs.
Sessions last for 50 minutes
If you choose to we can chat on the phone for approximately 15 mins prior to us meeting face to face - this service is free. It provides an opportunity to speak confidentially about the process and gain an idea about whether we might be able to work together and ask any questions you may have.
My fee is £40.00 per session for individuals and £70.00 per session for couples
There are limited concessionary rates available in special circumstances.
Sessions are available daytime with some weekend slots.
I work from a central Ipswich location with parking available within easy walking distance. The area is also served by several bus routes.
My office hours are:
Weekdays I am available between 8 am and 6 pm (I offer telephone or Skype sessions on a Thursday)
Saturday 9am until 4pm
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Some Saturday appointments are available alongside week days.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|