Katy Plowright - Counselling & Psychotherapy, FdSc.Couns, Dip.Couns, Reg. MBACP
Online Therapy Service:
Due to the social distancing guidelines regarding COVID-19 and as advised by the Department of Health and governing bodies, I am only offering my Online Counselling Service. These counselling appointments are offered via Zoom or Facetime / WhatsApp video calls.
My Face to Face Counselling Service, where we meet in person in my Chippenham clinic room, is not currently available.
This situation will be reviewed again at the end of December.
Do you sometimes feel like you’re going around in circles, feeling anxious or unhappy, not enjoying life?
Is it hard to admit you’re not OK and ask for help?
Have you ever thought it’s not ok to feel your emotions?
Do you have difficulty recognising and removing toxic people, habits and belief systems from your life?
Are you finding your work or home life stressful?
When life is difficult it can sometimes feel too hard to stop and notice what’s not working for you, enabling time to make changes, falling instead into repeating cycles of damaging or unhelpful behaviors'.
Counselling can help you with this.
I am an experienced, warm and approachable Psychotherapeutic Counsellor running a busy private practice in Chippenham and an online service.
I provide a professional & confidential counselling service for individual adults, both male & female 18+ years, to promote and improve individual mental health and well being.
I am a fully qualified Counsellor (FdSc.Couns) and a registered practitioner (MBACP) holding registered membership of The British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and a current Certificate of Proficiency.
I am also a qualified Online Counsellor holding a recognised qualification approved by the National Counselling Society and the Association for Counselling & Therapy Online (ACTO).
I am included on the BACP Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapists, the first psychological register to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care, demonstrating I meet the required high standards of proficiency, professionalism and good practice.
I am regulated by the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) & adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice (www.bacp.co.uk).
How I Work:
I provide an objective, empathic & non judgmental approach, underpinned by a psychological evidence based framework, to help you gain better understanding of yourself & your life.
I offer both short term and long term psychotherapeutic counselling.
Short term counselling is typically around 6 - 12 sessions, but can be more or less than this depending on individual needs. It usually focuses on a specific emotional issue such as a bereavement, a relationship issue, low mood, feeling anxious etc.
Long term counselling/psychotherapy can be open ended and is suitable for a deeper exploration and more thorough review of your life. It helps individuals with psychological problems that have built up over the course of a long period of time through understanding their feelings, thoughts and actions more clearly and discovering the background to problems and difficulties.
I work in an Integrative Humanistic way, acknowledging all clients have different needs, so therapy looks different for each person and no one single approach is sufficient.
I can draw on theories from:
- Humanistic and Existential Psychology
- Phenomenological Therapy
- Person Centered approach
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Transpersonal Psychology
- Solution Focused Counselling
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Mindfulness based practice
I view counselling as an investment in yourself - it is time taken out of very busy lives to focus on YOU.
It can be used for working through specific current difficulties or issues; personal development; or aligning yourself back to who you’re meant to be when life has gone off track, allowing a more rewarding and healthy way of living.
Counselling doesn't just have to happen when we are in crisis!
- Initial counselling assessment - 1 hour
- All subsequent appointments - 50 minutes
- All appointments (including assessment) are £45.00
- Appointments are available on-line Monday to Thursday - 9am to 4pm
Initial Online Assessment:
The initial assessment session lasts for 1 hour and allows between us to understand what your needs are, whether counselling is the right option for you at this time & how we might work together.
Research tells us one of the most important factors contributing to therapeutic success is the relationship between the individual and the therapist, so it's essential you find a Counsellor who you feel comfortable with.
So the assessment is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have and identify if I'm the right practitioner for you.
There is no obligation to continue counselling after this if you don't want to.
If you do, we would look to book in an initial 6 sessions on a weekly or possibly a fortnightly basis and review progress after this.
What To Do Next:
Please email, text or call to book in for an initial counselling assessment.
I offer an initial free 20 minute confidential consultation on the phone first, if this is something you'd like to do.
For others, this can be too daunting and increase their levels of anxiety, so booking in for an initial counselling assessment might suit you better.
Mobile: 07788 644333 (confidential voicemail)
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in Online / Telephone Counselling (National Counselling Society).
- Foundation Degree in Humanistic Counselling (Bath Spa University).
- Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (CPCAB).
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (CPCAB).
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies (CPCAB).
- Certificate in Counselling Theory (CSCT).
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (CSCT).
- Accredited Bereavement Worker.
- Certificate in Safeguarding Children & Vulnerable Adults.
- ASIST Certificate in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training.
- Certificate in Training Practice.
- Certificate in HR Practice
- Member of The British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) - membership number 00727799.
- Registrant on the BACP Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapists - Registration number 130318.
- Hold a current Certificate of Proficiency from the BACP.
- Committed to ongoing professional development in accordance with BACP regulations.
- I am fully insured.
- Treating Intrusive Thoughts
- Treating OCD
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for OCD
- Understanding & Managing Anxiety
- Treating Generalised Anxiety Disorder & Panic Attacks
- Working with Shame
- Techniques for Calming our Nervous System
- Trauma & the Body
Experience & Background:
- Counsellor / Psychotherapist working in private practice - face to face and online.
- Counselling provider for Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP) - including Dorset County Council & Norland Nannies.
- Accredited Bereavement Counsellor within a Bereavement Agency.
- Drugs & Alcohol Counsellor within an Addictions, Homelessness & Social Exclusion Service.
- 10 years’ experience in HR, Training & Development Management roles in large corporate environment, providing a Health & Wellbeing Service for all employees.
- 6 years’ experience in Sales Management.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Free initial 20 minute confidential telephone consultation to discuss your needs.
£45.00 for a 50 minute on-line therapy session.
Please call, text or email me for further information or to arrange an initial confidential discussion regarding your needs.
I have full professional indemnity insurance.