Jo-Anne Moore MSc, MBACP
Desborough & Kettering
07725 369 599
Hi – my name is Jo. I’m a Counselling Psychotherapist and I work with both adults and children.
Sometimes life will present us with challenges and difficulties that we struggle to make sense of, or that make us feel stuck and unable to move forward positively. Our circumstances may have led us to a place where we feel overwhelmed, isolated, angry or depressed. Knowing what to do or how to be when we have these experiences can present us with huge confusion and dilemma.
Does this sound like you? I believe we all have within us the strength to make changes to ourselves and our lives - we just need a little help at the right time. Counselling will provide you with the space to reflect and work through your difficulties alongside myself as your counsellor, who will listen, understand, reflect back and sometimes gently challenge you – but from a place of caring and support and always with your individual needs in mind.
My experience stems from working with charities including Mind (mental health charity), Cruse (bereavement and loss), and the NSPCC (working in schools addressing abuse and neglect), as well as Fostering Agencies and the local Authority. I have experience of counselling adults and children who have been or are in the care system, and people dealing with relational difficulties with other adults (parents and partners) or with their children. I have experience working with trauma, neglect and abuse - including domestic violence. I also do a lot of work with depression.
My private practice offers counselling for a wide range of personal and emotional difficulties - see "areas of counselling" below. However, if you are unsure whether I can meet your needs, please do contact me to enquire further.
Training and Professional Membership:
I hold a master’s degree in Counselling (gained at the University of Northampton) and regularly attend courses to constantly enhance and update my knowledge and consult on new ideas. I am a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) and as such I work within their ethical framework to ensure strictly confidential, safe and appropriate therapeutic interventions.
I believe every client is unique and will have differing needs, priorities and preferences in ways of working. I have been trained as an Integrative therapist, drawing from person centred, psychodynamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) approaches. I also use techniques based on Gestalt therapy and use creative approaches with adults and teens, and play based approaches for children.
Choosing your counsellor:
Choosing the right counsellor - one you feel comfortable with, is a vital part of taking the first step forward in addressing your difficulties. Selecting from a picture and a profile can be hard. Please feel able to ring me, have a chat initially and ask any questions you might have. If you would then like to meet, we can arrange an initial session where we can discuss your needs and circumstances in more detail, and of course, if at this stage you feel I am not the right counsellor for you it really is ok - you are under no obligation to have further sessions and I won’t mind or be offended!
A little about me...
I am passionate about counselling and seeing how the process can change people's lives - and for me, the most satisfying part of my work comes from saying goodbye to a client where I have seen transformative change - this is both moving and humbling as the path for clients can be a difficult one. It is my privilege to work alongside and fully support a client during this process.
As well as counselling, I have been a foster carer for 6 years providing a therapeutic home for up to two siblings on a short term (up to 18 months) basis. I have extensive experience in helping children move on from trauma caused by neglect, abuse and bullying. I hold a current Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. I also work with parents struggling with the demands of parenthood including those at risk of having their children removed.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Counselling, Northampton University - Achieved with Merits
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) - adults:
- Understanding the lived experience of Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Extensive bereavement training with Cruse Bereavement Service
- Sudden and Traumatic Death
- Bereavement Care - Suicide
- Animal Assisted Therapy for Counsellors – Humanima CIC
- Development & Relational Trauma Training
- Primary Certificate in working with Stress Management
- Managing Behaviour with Attachment in Mind
- Understanding Attachment – Advanced
- Separation and Loss
- Drug and Alcohol Awareness Training
CPD - short courses specific to children:
- Building Resilient Children: Translating the neuroscience behind Emotional Wellbeing
- Place2Be (charity) training in art and craft interventions to use with play therapy
- Level 1 Introductory Theraplay and Marschak Interaction Method and Group Introductory Theraplay - The Theraplay Institute
- The Impact of Loss and Developmental Trauma on Children & Adolescents
- Understanding attachment - advanced
- Understanding & Caring for the Traumatised Child & Young Person - Level 3
- Understanding child development
- Life Story Work
- Internet Safety and Cyberbullying
- Safeguarding children
- Caring for Challenging Adolescents – Psychology stage 2
- Understanding / Managing Children’s Behaviour – Under 10s
- Children and Domestic Abuse
- Helping Children Move to Adoption and Long Term Fostering
- Can’t do, or won’t do? – Attachment Difficulties
- Child Sexual Protect & Respect
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Childhood abuse including dissociation
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)
Relationship difficulties of all types
Animal Assisted Therapy - Desborough only - with my loving 3 year old Cavapoo (risk assessment dependent)
Strong knowledge of fostering and adoption
Desborough / Market harborough - £40/day-time session, £50/session after 5.30pm. Initial Session £25
Kettering - £43/day-time session. Evenings currently unavailable. Initial session £25
A session is 1 hour (50 minutes of counselling time). Most clients are seen weekly, but more frequent sessions can be arranged for a client in crisis. Number of sessions varies widely - I undertake both short term work and longer / open ended work depending on client needs and preferences.
I am very happy to have an informal discussion to answer any additional questions you may have - please don't hesitate to contact me.
I hold a high level of confidentiality
I work with people that self harm in various ways - you will not be asked to stop self harming as a condition of starting therapy.
I am available to assist clients dealing with troubling suicidal thoughts.
Also, I am:
- fully insured
- registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) for data protection purposes, and
- hold an enhanced DBS Certificate
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please enquire for further information regarding any accessibility needs.
Kettering: daytime only. Desborough: daytime & some evening availability. Market Harborough: daytime & some evening availability. Good parking. Accessible by bus.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|