Dr Emily Smyth [BSc, MA, MSc, PGDip, DClinPsy, mBACP, BABCP, HCPC, CPsychol]
Dr Emily Smyth is a highly experienced Chartered Clinical Psychologist, Cognitive Behaviour Therapist and Integrative Psychotherapist. She is also a Co-Founder of the Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic. She is highly knowledgeable of the field of psychology including the theory and ever evolving evidence-base. At the same time, Emily is a very 'human', relatable and approachable clinician which instantly helps to put people at ease, whilst giving them the utmost confidence that they are in safe and competent hands.
As a result of the extensive professional and academic training Emily has completed to date, she has vast experience and knowledge in working with a wide range of mental health difficulties across ages, populations and cultures. She is experienced in delivering a range of therapies, and is skilled in adapting these to people's differing needs, goals and hopes. Emily's knowledge gives her the ability to offer an entirely bespoke service adapted to every individual she works with, whilst always staying true to the evidence-base. Depending on your individual circumstances, some of these therapies may be more conversational, exploratory and client-led, whilst others may offer more change-based, goal-focused structure. Therapy can be short or long-term, and can be conducted across languages via the use of professional, experienced interpreters. Some of the therapies Emily offers include:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Mindfulness-Based Therapies
- Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
- Trauma-Focused Therapy (TF-CBT, NET, PE etc)
- Integrative Psychotherapy (Psychodynamic / Existential / Humanistic).
Fundamental to Emily’s approach is the emphasis she places upon the development of a safe, trustworthy, and authentic therapeutic relationship that is free from judgement and shame. This is what allows personal growth and development, and will enable you and Emily to work congruently together towards your goals. Emily also strongly believes in the integration of humour within her approach, acknowledging that the therapeutic process can also be a fun and positive experience.
Emily believes in the importance of therapy being collaborative. Therefore within the initial consultation, time will be spent understanding your difficulties, needs and wants. From this, various treatment options and interventions will be discussed, advised and explored together based on psychological theory and the evidence, in order to decide upon the best route together. This may evolve over time, and will be reviewed regularly to ensure that you receive the most effective treatment and support that fits your current and changing circumstances. It is also important to understand that Emily is an ethical practitioner, and her ultimate goal is to make herself redundant to you - not to make you dependent on her as a therapist which would go against the values and principles of therapy.
The Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic
Emily co-founded The Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic with two other Clinical Psychologists in October 2019. She therefore merged her own private practice under this new brand. For further information about Emily and her colleagues at the Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic, please visit: https://www.thefitzroviaclinic.com/about-us
Due to high demand Emily operates a waiting list. Please feel free to get in touch with Emily should you wish to discuss her availability further.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Circles South East (2012) - Sexual Offenders.
- Jobs In Mind (2013-2014) - Psychosis.
- Dartmouth Park Unit, NHS (2013-2015) - Personality Disorders.
- Priory Hospital Roehampton (2012-2015) - Depression, Anxiety, Trauma, Bereavement, Bipolar, Relational/Sexual Difficulties.
- University of Lausanne, Switzerland - Neuropsychological Research Assistant (2015-2016): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-27288-2
- Emily Smyth, Private Psychotherapy Practice (2015-2019)
- Kensington & Chelsea IAPT, NHS (2016-2017) - OCD, GAD, PTSD, Panic, Depression, Low Self-Esteem.
- South Islington iCope, NHS (2017-2018) - PTSD, OCD, Hoarding, Agoraphobia, Depression.
- The Woodland Centre, Community Mental Health Team and Memory Service, NHS (2018-2019) - Older Adults: GAD, Depression, Carer Support & Neuropsychological Screening for Dementia.
- Ealing Building My Futures & Ealing Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS, NHS) - Children & Adolescents: Challenging Behaviour, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Depression, Anxiety, Emerging Personality Disorders, Trauma & Psychosis
- The Woodfield Trauma Service, NHS (2019-2020) - Refugee and Asylum Seekers (survivors of torture): PTSD, Complex PTSD, Psychosis & Chronic Pain.
- Lambeth's DBT Service, NHS (2020-Present) - Adults: Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder & Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- The Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic, Private (2019-Present) - Co-Founder, Clinical Psychologist, Cognitive Behaviour Therapist & Integrative Psychotherapist. Ranging Presentations. https://thefitzroviaclinic.com/about-us/emily-smyth
- BSc, Politics, 2008-2011 (University of Bristol).
- Intensive Postgraduate Foundation Certificate, Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology, April-August 2012 (Regents University London).
- MA, Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology, 2012-2017 (Regents University London).
- MSc, Psychology, 2014-2015 (University of Westminster).
- PGDip, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 2016-2017 (Royal Holloway, University of London).
- Doctorate, Clinical Psychology, 2017-2020 (Royal Holloway, University of London.
- PGDip, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, 2020- Ongoing (British Isles, Bangor University)
- British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists, Registered Member, 2015 (mBACP)
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists, Accredited Member, 2018 (BABCP Accred)
- Health Care and Professionals Council, Registered Practitioner Psychologist, 2020 (HCPC)
- British Psychological Society, Chartered Psychologist, 2020 (CPsychol).
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Abuse and Trauma*
Behaviours that Challenge
Bereavement and Loss
Domestic and Gendered Violence
Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)*
Psychosis and Schizophrenia*
Borderline Personality Disorder*
Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)*
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD & Complex PTSD)*
Relational and Intimacy Difficulties*
Self-Harm and Suicidality*
Stress and Burnout
£165.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Fees & Payment
Emily accepts payments via self-funding and/or all major private insurance companies. Fees start from £165.
Emily's fees are subject to review and change, and differ according to therapy type, location and level of need. Her fees are reflective of her ongoing professional experience, training and level of qualification. Please get in touch to discuss fees further, and note that Emily does offer a limited number of clients concessionary fees during off-peak hours.
Emily predominantly works in Esher, Surrey and North London. During this unprecedented time however, all appointments are being conducted remotely via a number of secure platforms. This is under constant review, and in line with national guidelines.
To enquire further, please contact Emily and/or visit the Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic website - https://thefitzroviaclinic.com/