Emily Smyth, BSc, MA, MSc, PGDip, mBACP, BABCP Accred, MBPsS
As a highly experienced Integrative Psychotherapist and Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, Emily has vast experience, knowledge and training in a wide range of therapies, which enables her to provide you with a bespoke therapeutic service that will effectively meet your individual needs, goals and preferences. Some of these therapies are more conversational and exploratory, whilst others offer more change-based, goal-focused structure. Therapy can be also be both short or long-term. The therapies Emily offers include:
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Cognitive Analytical Therapy (CAT)
- Schema-Focused Therapy
- Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
- Integrative Psychotherapy (Psychodynamic / Existential / Humanistic).
Fundamental to Emily’s approach is the emphasis she places upon the development of a safe, trustworthy, and authentic therapeutic relationship. She believes this nurtures personal growth and development, which will enable you and Emily to work congruently towards your agreed goals. Emily also strongly believes in the integration of humour within her approach, validating that the therapeutic process can also be fun!
Emily believes in the importance of therapy being client-led. Subsequently, within the initial consultation time will be spent understanding your difficulties, needs and wants. From this, various treatment options and interventions can be discussed, advised and explored collaboratively, and the best route decided upon together. This can evolve over time, and will be reviewed regularly to ensure you receive the most effective treatment and support that fits with your current and changing circumstances.
For further information about Emily, her private practice, therapeutic approach, sessions and location, please contact her directly and/or visit her private practice website - http://www.emilysmyth.net
Training, qualifications & experience
- Circles South East (2012) - Sexual Offenders.
- Jobs In Mind (2013-2014) - Psychosis.
- Dartmouth Park Unit, NHS (2013-2015) - Personality Disorders.
- Priory Hospital Roehampton (2012-2015) - Depression, Anxiety, Trauma, Bereavement, Bipolar, Relational/Sexual Difficulties.
- University of Lausanne, Switzerland - Neuropsychological Research Assistant (2015-2016): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-27288-2
- Emily Smyth, Private Psychotherapy Practice (2015-2016)
- Kensington & Chelsea IAPT, NHS (2016-2017) - OCD, GAD, PTSD, Panic, Depression, Low Self-Esteem.
- South Islington iCope, NHS (2017-2018) - PTSD, OCD, Hoarding, Agoraphobia, Depression.
- The Woodland Centre, Community Mental Health Team and Memory Service, NHS (2018-2019) - Older Adults: GAD, Depression, Carer Support & Neuropsychological Screening for Dementia.
- BSc, Politics, 2008-2011 (University of Bristol).
- Intensive Postgraduate Foundation Certificate, Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology, April-August 2012 (Regents University London).
- MA, Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology, 2012-2017 (Regents University London).
- MSc, Psychology, 2014-2015 (University of Westminster).
- PGDip, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 2016-2017 (Royal Holloway, University of London).
- Doctorate, Clinical Psychology, 2017-Present (Royal Holloway, University of London.
- British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists, Registered Member, 2015-Present (mBACP)
- British Psychological Society, Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership, 2015 (BPsS)
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists, 2018 (BABCP Accred)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Abuse and Trauma*
Behaviours that Challenge
Bereavement and Loss
Domestic and Gendered Violence
Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)*
Psychosis and Schizophrenia*
Borderling Personality Disorder*
Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)*
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)*
Relational and Intimacy Difficulties*
Self-Harm and Suicidality*
Stress and Burnout
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
For information about fees please contact Emily directly and/or visit her website - http://www.emilysmyth.net
Emily is currently practicing in Esher, Surrey.
To enquire further please do not hesitate to contact Emily and/or visit her private practice website - www.emilysmyth.net
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Unfortunately the facilities from which Emily practices do not currently offer wheelchair access. Alternative arrangements however may be made, so please do not hesitate to contact Emily to discuss any of your needs further.
Monday & Friday PM, Saturdays & Sundays
Types of client