Dr Elena Arora, CPsychol (HCPC, UKCP, BACP Registered)
Bedford Consulting Rooms
4 Goldington Road
My name is Elena. I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist (HCPC Registered) and Integrative Psychotherapist (UKCP, BACP Registered). I help adults (over 18 years old) and couples who need to talk to somebody in confidence about their issues, worries and concerns.
Over the years I have helped many people on their journey of rediscovering a way forward in life. My clients have benefited from therapy with me in many ways which include improvements in their personal relationships, overcoming depression, fears and anxiety, better sense of self awareness and identity, sense of clarity about themselves and others, an overall emotional well-being, improvements in confidence and many more. If you are unhappy or in a difficult place and interested in exploring therapy further, you are very welcome get in touch with me.
I understand that choosing the right psychological therapist is not an easy task. There are hundreds of counsellors and therapists that are happy to offer you their services. All of them work in different ways and this can be even more confusing. To help you to make the right choice there are some Questions and Answers below. These are to provide you with a clear sense of how I can help you and why you might want to work with me.
What is your approach?
I am an experienced, professional and caring practitioner. I work within an Integrative approach because I believe that there is no 'one size fits for all' approach to psychological therapy.
I have heard of CBT and Psychoanalysis, but I have not come across Integrative. Can you explain what it means?
Being an Integrative therapist means that I integrate various theoretical concepts and therapeutic ideas that help me to understand my clients and choose the best techniques to use in my work that are always tailored to my client’s needs. The models I draw on are Relational model (that uses the therapeutic relationship), Developmental model (that takes into consideration your childhood experiences), Psychodynamic model (that deals with unconscious processes), CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), DBT (dialectic behaviour therapy), CAT (cognitive analytic therapy) and Schema Therapy (that looks at how you organise and perceive the world and people around you).
What is your stance as an Integrative psychological therapist?
I pride myself on my ability to tailor my responses to the needs of each individual client I work with. My therapeutic stance can be described as warm, supportive, direct, calm, empathetic and, at times, challenging. I create safe and confidential therapeutic environment that allows my clients to feel comfortable to discuss their personal problems, worries and concerns.
What issues do you work with?
I specialise in working with the following issues:
- relationship issues/family issues
- affairs and betrayals/separation and divorce
- depression including post-natal depression
- anxiety (general anxiety, panic attacks, fears, phobias, OCD)
- stress/work related issues/negative thoughts
- repeating life patterns/personality traits
- post-traumatic stress
- low self-esteem/lack of self confidence
- anger management
- bereavement and loss
- feeling stuck in life/life crises
- complex mental illness including personality disorders, challenging behaviour, neurological difficulties and trauma issues
How can you help me?
Drawing on my experience, qualifications and knowledge I will be with you when we discuss your worries and concerns. Whilst you can talk to me about any issues that you feel are useful for you to discuss, I will intervene by asking you questions, offering interpretations, or simply listen to what you have to say. On occasion, I may challenge your beliefs or offer you 'tools' to deal with a particular issue or, explore what changes you might like to make. As a result of our sessions I you will gain understanding, insight and awareness about your issues which, in turn, will allow you to recognise new perspectives, options or possibilities that you may have not thought of before.
Why should I work with you?
My professional experience within the field of mental health spans across over a decade. During this time I worked with people from many backgrounds within a variety of settings inclusive of the NHS services, private sector, community and in-patient. People that I have helped came to me for various reasons and I have seen them making positive steps forward in their lives. I am confident that I can help you to make a real difference in your life too. I have a deep passion for my work, rich life experience, an in-depth professional knowledge and excellent interpersonal skills. I am also friendly, approachable and easy to talk to. These qualities make me different from others therapists in my professional field.
How can I contact you?
Initially, it is best to contact me via my email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone 07850264155 for a brief chat. Please do leave a message in case you get my voice mail and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
If I think I am the right therapist for you, I will ask you to complete a short registration form via email that will give me an initial sense of you and your issues. Following this, we can arrange for our first session during which I would conduct an assessment of your difficulties and explain how I might be able to help going forward. In addition, you will have an opportunity to ask me questions about me and how I work to help you to make the right decision. During assessment session we will also discuss your potential commitment to further therapy and if this is the right way forward for you.
I offer sessions to individuals and couples. The sessions are 50 minutes long. Sessions continuity is important in therapy in order for it to be effective. Once a commitment to therapy has been agreed, it is important that sessions are regularly attended.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy by Professional Studies at Metanoia Institute - Middlesex University
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy at Metanoia Institute
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling at Metanoia Institute
- FCert. in Psychotherapy and Counselling at Regents College of Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology at Moscow State University, Faculty of Psychology
- Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Services
- Hillingdon Mind
- Ealing Abbey Counselling Services
- CNWL NHS Foundation Trust, St. Charles Mental Health Centre
- Person 2 Person Consultancy Limited
- Baldock Manor Hospital, Nouvita Ltd
Membership of Professional Organisations
- Member of the Metanoia Institute
- Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society (CPsychol)
- HCPC Registered as Counselling Psychologist (HCPC Reg.)
- Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP Reg.)
- Registered Member with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP Reg.)
My work is supervised on a regular basis by a suitably qualified and experienced professional in accordance with the requirements of the profession. I abide by the code of ethics set out by the professional organisations with whom I am registered: Metanoia Institute, the BPS, BACP, UKCP
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I act as an expert witness for Criminal and Civil Court systems. In this capacity I conduct assessments and provide medico-legal reports for personal injury, medical negligence, trauma, offending behaviour, capacity, attachment and family functioning, intellectual ability.
I design and deliver bespoke workshops and training programmes on a wide range of mental health topics. For example: Bereavement and Loss, Care for Carers, DBT Skills, Dynamic Risk Assessments in secondary care settings, Stress and stress management.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
£120 per session. Fees are due in advance of the sessions via bank transfer.
If you are paying for your sessions via insurance, please note that the fee above would not apply. Please contact me to discuss payment arrangement via insurance companies.
I am an Approved Healthcare Provider with several major health insurance companies including Aviva, Vitality Health (previously PRU Health), CIGNA which means fees may be recoverable for people who are insured. Different fee structure applies to those who wish to pay for the sessions via health insurance. Please contact me to discuss. Furthermore, clients should check with their provider for more information.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Friday 8 am - 2 pm and Saturday 8 am - 12 noon. Please contact me for Skype availability.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer clinical supervision or research supervision to psychologists, psychotherapists and counsellors; both, qualified or trainees.