Claire Sainsbury: Brighton and Hove Counselling
126 Shirley Street
01273 917732 / 07947 073298
Welcome to my site. I am an integrative counsellor & coach based in Brighton and Hove with a passion for promoting change to increase overall well-being and happiness.
I offer general counselling for problems such as anxiety or low mood and to couples experiencing relationship issues. I also offer support to people in recovery from drug, alcohol and gambling addictions and specialised treatment for people with eating disorders or obesity. Sessions can be individual or in couples or groups.
Previous clients have said they.....
- have felt some "relief" just from talking without feeling any sense of judgement
- were surprised to realise how lifestyle & dietary factors can affect mood
- have found new habits & small changes in mindset have boosted confidence & a sense of "can do"
- felt happier than they did before.
I offer a professional and confidential service and look forward to meeting you if you decide to contact me. If you would like a free introductory session or to speak on the phone or to send me an email, then this is possible.
I have appointments in Hove, East Sussex, Monday to Friday 7am until 9pm and Saturday 9am to midday. I work with adults, couples and 12-18yr olds.
My practice is easily accessible by bus or train with on-street parking at £1 per hr at location 85543 (pay by phone or ticket machine.)
Outside of East and West Sussex I offer telephone and online counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Psychology Degree
- Advanced Postgraduate Diploma in Integrative Counselling & Therapy
- Masters Degree in Counselling & Psychotherapy Practice
- Specialist Training in Substance Misuse and Gambling Addiction
- Specialist Training in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to challenge unhelpful "habits" & promote change
- Specialist Training in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy offering skills in Mindfulness, Emotion Regulation, Distress Tolerance & Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Specialist Training in Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders
- Diploma in Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders
- Trauma Treatment through EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) to help release powerful emotional tension associated with past events
- Registered Accredited Member of BACP & Graduate Member of BPS
Given my therapeutic and personal experience, I believe my strengths lie in the following areas:
ABUSE: Emotional, Physical or Sexual which often creates guilt & shame
ADDICTION: Gambling, Alcohol & Drugs with the ongoing challenges of personal recovery
ANGER: Often associated with a lack of assertiveness & being passive
ANXIETY: Specific or Generalised Worry, Panic
EATING DISORDERS: Bulimia, Anorexia, Binge/Over-eating & Obesity - specialised treatment according to your particular form of eating disorder
LOSS: Death, Divorce, Redundancy & Financial
PERSONALITY DISORDER: Bipolar, Borderline Personality - difficulty in regulating emotion
RELATIONSHIP DIFFICULTIES: Opposite & Same Sex, understanding how to build, repair & end relationships
TRAUMA: Frightening & Disturbing Experience
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
(i) General Counselling £45
(ii) Couples £60
(iii) Eating Disorder & Obesity Treatment Sessions £55
Appointments are approximately 50 minutes weekly. The first session may be longer than this as it will involve an assessment. You are welcome to come and meet me for free for about 20-30 minutes if that would be useful before booking an appointment.
(iv) Various Support Groups & Workshops:
Starting Sep-Oct 2018:
MIND & MOOD Support Group: ☯️ learn to enhance your wellbeing by working effectively with your mind through practical skills within a group setting.
ADDICTION RECOVERY SUPPORT: practical skills in DBT therapy proven to be effective in helping people to manage addiction recovery.
2hrs £15. Call or email if interested ☯️
Concessionary rates negotiable
- Bipolar in a relationship
- What can DBT help with or treat?
- Using gratitude to help with anxiety and depression
- What is generalised anxiety disorder?
- Enhance your relationships with DBT skills
- Assertiveness in relationships
- Anxious and depressed about your weight?
- DBT skills in addiction recovery
- Dialectical behaviour therapy and addiction treatment
- Addiction recovery
- Recovering from addiction?
- Using DBT in addiction recovery
- Anxiety - a brief insider view
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays 7am - 9pm for therapy or supervision
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training