Dr Sharmaline Attygalle
I am a fully qualified and experienced Integrative Counsellor with a special interest in Eating Disorders.
I run my own private practice as a self-employed counsellor and I have several years of experience working with Children 12 years and over, Young People and Adults.
I have extensively trained and specialised in working with Eating Disorders. Whether you struggle with disordered eating or Anorexia, Bulimia or Binge-Eating I aim to support you in your exploration of what has made you 'stuck', facilitate your change and enable you to engage more fully in life. Work involves exploring your relationship with food and establishing nutritional rehabilitation, exploring your eating disorders mindset, the regulation and management of your emotions such as anxiety, depression, stress, shame and guilt, the resetting of your body image perception, self-esteem, perfectionism and assertiveness skills.
Counselling is a journey and it is your journey. The work does not promise to be easy; there will be ups and downs but it will be an opportunity for you to make sense of your experiences, unravel and free yourself. I hope to guide your exploration and the evolving counselling process.
I am an accredited member of the BACP and I abide by their ethical framework and their code of conduct. In counselling I will at all times to put you first and keep you safe.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the social distancing measures that are in place counselling sessions are offered presently online until the restrictions are lifted.
Please feel free to visit my website www.yourhaven-counselling.co.uk for more information about me and the counselling service I offer.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Self-Employed Counsellor running my own "Your Haven Counselling" Private Practice.
- I was employed as a College Counsellor at Bellerbys College Cambridge for 3 years. Bellerbys College Cambridge was a Private International College for students studying for their GCSEs, A-levels and Foundation year.
- I worked for the charity Centre 33 for 2 years. This involved counselling children and young people ranging from 13-25 years on a weekly basis.
- I have worked for JHD Counselling Services for 2 years as one of their team of counsellors. My work involved counselling university students at some of the Cambridge University Colleges in addition to seeing private clients.
- I have also counselled children in primary and secondary schools, run family play therapy sessions and conducted workshops and talks
- Accredited Member of BACP
- I have attended the NCFED Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders
- NCFED Diploma in Practical Skills in Eating Disorders
- Diploma in Counselling
- Diploma in Working with Depression
- BSc Psychology
- MBBS Medicine
Some years back I qualified as a medical doctor and I also have a degree in psychology. I find the knowledge and experience I have received in doing these extremely valuable in offering the best practice for my clients.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a special interest in Eating Disorders, Self-harm and Dissociative disorders.
£60.00 per session
- £60/- (initial assessment/counselling session/review)
- Individual counselling sessions
- Short-term or long-term therapy
- online session at present
- 50 minute sessions
- weekly or fortnightly sessions
I offer an initial assessment for us to meet and discuss what brought you to counselling and the possible hopes and aspirations you have for counselling. It is also an opportunity for us to get to know a little about each other and to find out if we are happy to continue further sessions together. The therapeutic relationship is crucial and so it is really important to choose a counsellor whom you can relate to and engage with.
We will review the counselling process at regular intervals and assess how the counselling is going.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss any questions you may have about starting counselling
Mondays - Thursdays 09:00-20:00
My counselling sessions are held entirely online at present
I use video-linked Zoom sessions