Maryke Page (M.A., CPsychol.)
I am a skilled and experienced Counselling Psychologist accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and a Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS) in the UK. I completed the required six years full time Masters training programme in South Africa to become a psychologist and graduated in 1998.
Psychology in practice deals with the science of human behaviours and the complexities of the human brain and how it manifests in a person's life. Clients have commented on my ability to communicate these complexities in such a simple way that it creates a better understanding of their own minds and behaviours. During sessions, I implement the skills I advocate clients to develop, which include reflective listening, empathy, understanding, self-awareness, personal growth, motivation, change and self compassion.
I am passionate about helping people to understand and accept themselves but at the same time implementing the necessary changes to live a productive and fulfilled life.
- Psychotherapy - trained in Counselling psychology, I mainly use an integrative approach.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Narrative Approach to Eating Disorders
- Somatic Intervention
- MBTI type for individuals and couples
- Spiritual approach (Christian)
- Skills coaching
This includes, however, is not limited to;
- Time management
- Stress management
- Conflict management
- Anger management
- Goal setting
- Co-dependency & relationships
Training, qualifications & experience
As a psychologist, who takes a scientific approach to human behaviour, I am trained in numerous therapy modalities and use them interchangeably based on the client's needs. I am qualified to diagnose mental health problems as well as to perform psychometric tests.
My career started in forensics, working in a medium security prison in South Africa for five years. From there I moved to work in a specialist inpatient clinic for more than 10 years. I became highly skilled in facilitating the twelve step programme, as well as life skills, relapse prevention and psycho-educational groups. In addition to group facilitation, I developed some of the group content material for the psycho-educational program in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for clients. My role mainly involved one to one counselling sessions with clients and, when appropriate, with the client's family. I carried a weekly case load of clients and did intense psychotherapy with each client, seeing each client up to 4 hours per week for a minimum of 3 weeks per client.
I ran a successful private practise, concurrent with my full time employment, for 15 years. I have vast experience working with adults with dual diagnosis, depression, anxiety, trauma, personality disorders, eating disorders and addiction.
I have attended numerous post-graduate training courses to broaden my skills in a wide variety of fields. I am trained in working with children and use numerous child therapy techniques. I am trained in working with trauma and have done, and continue to train, in trauma work. I am fully qualified as an EMDR therapist.
I am experienced in teaching and life coaching and have run life skills groups including stress management, time management, communication, conflict management, co-dependency, boundaries, relapse prevention and mindfulness. I have developed a relapse prevention template used by a specialist clinic in South Africa.
I am currently working part time at the Priory Hospital in Woking.
University degrees are:
- B.Soc. Sc. (UOFS, SA) (3 years full time)
- B.Soc. Sc. Hons. (UOFS, SA) (one year full time)
- Masters (Counselling Psychology) (US, SA) (2 years full time including one year placement)
- EMDR (Level I, II & III)
- MBTI (Step I & II) (accredited user) & MMTIC (children's version)
Completed the following CPD courses:
- Introduction to Somatic Experiencing (2 days in 2018)
- Sounds True: 10 day Healing Trauma summit (10 days in 2018)
- Somatic Psychology: Enhancing Embodiment in Trauma Treatment (3 hour seminar in 2018).
- Integrating and Working with PTSD, Complex PTSD and Adverse childhood Events from an Attachment Perspective (3 hour seminar in 2018)
- EMDR therapy and Mindfulness for trauma focused care (3 hour seminar in 2018).
- DBT (APT training 6 days in 2018)
- Advanced Play therapy (2 days in 1999)
- CBT: Working with deliberate self-harm (1 day in 2018)
- Sandtray therapy (1 day 1996)
- Filial Therapy (1 day 1996)
- Puppet Therapy (1 day 1996)
- Assessment of and working with sexually abused, traumatized children and children from divorced families (2 days)
- Angry Child and ADHD workshop (1 day)
- Short term therapy techniques with Oppositional & Defiant Children and Adolescents (1 day)
- Eco-systemic Play Therapy (2 days)
- Stephen Covey’s 7 habits of highly effective people (4 days in 2008)
- Study tools for senior learners (2 days)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
I am a registered provider for the following insurance companies:
Private funding fee is £70 - £90 per hour, depending on rooms used. Discounts for private clients can be negotiated.
Send me an email or a text message requesting an appointment. I prefer this way of contact over a phone call. If you are concerned regarding confidentiality only use your first name and do not put in identifiable personal details e.g. date of birth in the message.
I will contact you within 24 hours of receiving your email or text message, and suggest a day and time for our first appointment. I am currently seeing private clients on Tuesdays between 9:00 and 15:00.
The first appointment will be an assessment and you can bring someone with you if you feel uncomfortable to see me on your own. I will take a thorough history. I will ask you to complete a personal details form. If you feel comfortable with me in the first meeting, we can discuss your care pathway and agree on a follow up appointment.
The first and subsequent sessions are 55 minutes.
We agree on the frequency of appointments, but normally it is once a week to start off and can be reduced to fortnightly or monthly later in therapy. If you are privately funded I will invoice you and if you have insurance I invoice the insurance company directly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Tuesdays 9:00 - 15:00 Wednesdays 18:00 - 21:00
Types of client