Maja Tomse (BA Psychology, Master of Counselling, MBACP and BPS)
Welcome to my profile!
I am a registered and insured Psychologist, individual and couple Counsellor and Psychotherapist. I offer `in the room` and online counselling and psychotherapy and welcome anyone who feels that psychotherapy and counselling may be of help.
I offer an initial meeting and student counselling at a reduced rate (please, see the Fees section).
Due to the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), I am now offering only online counselling sessions to my clients. If you want to book an initial meeting you may do so straight away through the online booking system on my websitehttps://www.mtcounselling.co.uk/book-counselling-services-online/or, alternatively get in touch via an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
My professional and personal experience has given me a wealth of insights, which I integrate into my practice.
- 14-year experience of working with people in a variety of settings – from NHS and private psychiatric clinics to community and charitable sectors.
- Extensive experience in working in a business setting where I gained a huge understanding of the pressures that can lead people to extreme burnout.
- Living, working and training in several different countries, each with its own cultural setting and nuances, has made me deeply aware and sensitive to cultural differences, and the particular set of challenges that expats may face when moving to an unfamiliar place.
I have been developing my professional career for over 10 years, mainly in the field of clinical psychology and psychotherapy of adults. In a constant process of training and learning, in recent years I have been specially trained in grief counselling, attachment, Internal Family Systems Therapy and Emotion Focused Therapy. My work methodology is integrative since I use tools and techniques from different approaches and I adapt to the needs of each person. I look at the person and her/his problems from a bio-psycho-social and integral perspective and work on the difficulties and symptoms both emotionally, cognitively, behaviorally and at the body level, especially taking into account the theory of attachment and its psycho-therapeutic applications.
When you decide you want to discuss a specific issue or situation or to look for a more in-depth understanding of yourself, it takes courage to reach out. Counselling can provide a comfortable and confidential environment to achieve this. By listening to you, and looking at what drives you, what scares you and what motivates you, I will help guide you to the inner strength and resources that you have within yourself for making lasting change.
Whether you’re considering just a few sessions to focus on a specific issue or longer-term therapy, together we can map out your journey through therapy and counselling.
HERE YOU CAN FIND FEW FRIENDLY TIPS ON HOW TO GET STARTED AND WHAT TO EXPECT FROM COUNSELLING
1. Think of your availability and if my available times suit your needs. Please, check my availability here:
2. There are three options for setting up an initial session: a. Booking a session through the online booking system on my website https://www.mtcounselling.co.uk/book-counselling-services/ b. Call on 0777 684 82 44 or c. Send an email to email@example.com. At our first meeting, we talk about what you are hoping to get out of counselling and you decide if you're happy to continue or not. If you decide to continue we agree to meet weekly, preferably at the same time. You decide on the number of sessions you want to have. It is recommended to have at least 6 sessions to allow the trust and relationship with a counsellor to build.
4. Then, as our work progresses, we periodically check to see how you feel the work is going and to what extent you feel your goals are being met and whether you want to stop or continue with sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
After earning my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from The University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, my interests led me to complete my specialisation in Organisational Psychology and Work-Related Stress at Gothenburg University in Sweden. At the same time, I worked as a Psychologist within the Sahlgrenska University Hospital's multidisciplinary team with people diagnosed with mainly depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders.
As I was unsure of where to go next after the experience in Sweden I decided to try something different. I wanted to explore how it was to work within the corporate environment therefor I decided to complete a Diploma in Marketing and Project management in Zagreb, Croatia and get a job within this field. I worked my way up and stayed within the field for another 7 years.
As my interest in human psychology had never ceased I had felt I wanted to get back to my roots so I decided to move to Edinburgh and start with Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of Edinburgh. After receiving the award I completed my Masters at the same university. My research focused on the relationship between a parent and a child, and the effects it has on our adult life.
As I have always been interested in people's interactions and relationships I completed the Certificate in Couple Counselling within Relationship Scotland in Edinburgh meaning that I am fully qualified to work with couples. This knowledge gives me a deeper understanding of the difficulties that couples face during their life journeys.
Besides I also hold a Certificate in Telehealth (online therapy) which qualifies me to work professionally online with individuals and couples via Zoom, Skype and other online platforms.
- BA in Psychology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Diploma in Marketing and Project management, Experta Business Academy, Zagreb, Croatia
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Diploma in Counselling, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Certificate in Couples Counselling, Relationship Scotland, UK
- Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Certificate in Telehealth (online therapy) for Mental Health Professionals, PESI HealthCare, USA
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Initial meeting £50.00 / 50min
Individual counselling session £60.00 / 50min
Student discount individual session £50.00 / 50min
Couple counselling session £80.00 / 50min
ALL FEES ARE FOR `IN THE ROOM` and ONLINE SESSIONS (Zoom, Skype or WhatsApp).
Concessions offered for
I am registered with The British Psychological Society (BPS) and The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I adhere to their codes of ethics and practice and my work is fully supervised and insured.