Maja Tomse (BA Psychology, Master of Counselling, MBACP and BPS)
Welcome to my profile!
I am a registered and insured Psychologist, individual and couple Counsellor and Psychotherapist and I welcome anyone who feels that psychotherapy and counselling may be of help.
I offer an initial meeting and student counselling at a reduced rate (please, see the Fees section). Also, there are some evening and weekend appointments available.
My premises are both in Edinburgh at EH1 area, and Haddington, East Lothian.
My professional and personal experience has given me a wealth of insights, which I integrate into my practice.
- 13-year experience of working with people in a variety of settings – from NHS and private psychiatric clinics to community and charitable sectors.
- Extensive experience in working in a business setting where I gained a huge understanding of the pressures that can lead people to extreme burnout.
- Living, working and training in a number of different countries, each with its own cultural setting and nuances, has made me deeply aware and sensitive to cultural differences, and the particular set of challenges that expats may face when moving to an unfamiliar place.
When you decide you want to discuss a specific issue or situation, or to look for a more in-depth understanding of yourself, it takes courage to reach out. Counselling can provide a comfortable and confidential environment to achieve this.
By listening to you, and looking at what drives you, what scares you and what motivates you, I will help guide you to the inner strength and resources that you have within yourself for making lasting change.
Whether you’re considering just a few sessions to focus on a specific issue, or longer-term therapy, together we can map out your journey through therapy and counselling.
HERE YOU CAN FIND FEW FRIENDLY TIPS ON HOW TO GET STARTED AND WHAT TO EXPECT FROM COUNSELLING
1. Think of your availability and if my available times suit your needs. At the moment I am available on the following days:
9-11am (Haddington and online)
1-5pm (Haddington and online)
9am-5pm (Haddington and online)
9am-5pm (Haddington and online)
9am-12pm (Haddington and online)
2. There are three options for setting up an initial session: a. Booking a session through the online booking system on my website https://www.mtcounselling.co.uk/ b. Call on 0777 684 82 44 or c. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. At our first meeting we talk about what you are hoping to get out of counselling and you decide if you're happy to continue or not. If you decide to continue we agree to meet weekly, preferably at the same time. You decide on the number of sessions you want to have. It is recommended to have at least 6 sessions to allow the trust and relationship with a counsellor to build.
4. Then, as our work progresses, we periodically check to see how you feel the work is going and to what extent you feel your goals are being met and whether you want to stop or continue with sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
After earning my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from The University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, my interests led me to complete my specialisation in Organisational Psychology and Work Related Stress at Gothenburg University in Sweden. At the same time I worked as a Psychologist within the Sahlgrenska University Hospital's multidisciplinary team with people diagnosed with mainly depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders.
As I was unsure of where to go next after the experience in Sweden I decided to try something different. I wanted to explore how it was to work within the corporate environment so I decided to complete Diploma in Marketing and Project management in Zagreb, Croatia. I worked my way up and stayed within the field for another 7 years.
As my interest in human psychology had never ceased I had felt I wanted to get back to my roots so I decided to move to Edinburgh and start with Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of Edinburgh. After receiving the award I completed my Masters at the same university. My research focused on the relationship between a parent and a child, and the effects it has on our adult life.
As I have always been interested in people's interactions and relationships I completed the Certificate in Couple Counselling within Relationship Scotland in Edinburgh. This knowledge gives me a deeper understanding of difficulties that couples face during their life journeys.
- BA in Psychology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Diploma in Marketing and Project management, Experta Business Academy, Zagreb, Croatia
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Diploma in Counselling, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Certificate in Couples Counselling, Relationship Scotland, UK
- Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Edinburgh, UK
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Initial meeting £45.00 / 50min
Individual counselling session (in person and online via Skype or WhatsApp) £55.00 / 50min
Student discount individual session £45.00 / 50min
Couple counselling session (in person and online via Skype or WhatsApp) £75.00 / 50min
I am registered with The British Psychological Society (BPS) and The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I adhere to their codes of ethics and practice and my work is fully supervised and insured.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||I work using English, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian and Bosnian languages.|
Mon (9-11am, 2-8pm), Tuesday (1-5pm), Wed/Thu (9-5pm), Fri (9-12pm) and Sat (8-11am). To schedule an appointment, please contact me: email@example.com or 07776848244.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|