Dr Lesley Welch Chartered Counselling Psychologist. DCounsPsych, Bsc (Hons)
Northern Integrative Health Practice Ltd
5 Trafalgar Street
I am a fully qualified and experienced Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Parks Inner Child Therapy Practitioner, registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and the British Psychological Society. I aim to provide a calm, caring and safe environment for clients to discuss and work through any difficulties they might be experiencing.
I work in an integrative and collaborative way drawing on theoretical knowledge, models and skills which are suited to an individual client's needs and preferences. I initially trained in Person Centred, Cognitive Behavioural and Psychodynamic therapy models with aspects of Transactional Analysis. I have engaged in further training in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and Mindfulness. I also draw on aspects of Cognitive Analytic Therapy, and I have recently engaged in specialist diploma training in trauma and abuse, and I am now offering Parks Inner Child Therapy.
I believe that it is essential in any work that I do that the client and I work towards developing a genuine and good therapy relationship, so that we can work alongside each other to turn towards and process difficulties and empower positive change. I offer psychological assessment, formulation and psychological therapy for a range of issues.
Although I work with a variety of areas/issues, I have a particular interest in working with issues which stem from early childhood difficulties such as trauma, abuse and less resourceful parenting. I believe that by working in a supportive and collaborative way, we can develop understanding and awareness of the impact of our early life experiences on the ways in which we might relate to ourselves, others and the world around us. We can then work towards making positive and helpful changes leading to us thriving instead of just surviving, being our true self and the person we were always meant to be had we not experienced those issues.
Throughout my career I have worked within a variety of settings including: the National Health Service, Primary Care Psychology, Learning Disability, Pain Management, MIND, women's only organisations and within various Secondary School Education establishments. I have worked within community settings including GP practices, outpatient services, and completed home visits. I have experience of working with children and adults, with a range of difficulties including complex, co morbid, and longstanding difficulties.
I offer sessions from two well established and professional healthcare sites, both offering comfortable rooms, accessibility by public transport or car, and nearby parking.
I offer appointments within Durham and Consett. Please contact me to discuss your requirements.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctor of Counselling Psychology-Teesside University
- Applied Psychology Degree BSC (Hons)-Durham University
- PICT Diploma QC Practitioner
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Accreditation Level 2
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- NCFE Fast Track in Counselling Skills and Theory Level 3
- Introduction to Counselling Concepts Intermediate Certificate
- Effective communication with children Level 3
I have also engaged in a variety of training workshops in many areas including:
• Penny Parks Inner Child Therapy (PICT) Foundation Workshop for Trauma and Abuse Resolution
• Working with trauma and dissociation
• The impact of child abuse on children, professionals and adult survivors
• Shadows in the body
• DBT Essentials
• Running DBT skills development groups
• Couples therapy
• Cognitive Analytic Therapy
• An introduction to Neuro-Linguistic Programming
• Stress management
• Group therapy skills training
• Working with PTSD
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, if your not sure about what your difficulties might be exactly or if I can help you, please feel free to contact me so we can discuss your needs further.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Individual Psychological Therapy £65
Reduced fee for Counselling Psychology students in training £55
Individual quotes apply to organisational work, depending on requirements
Sessions are 50 minutes
- I am happy to call you free of charge to chat about any queries you might have about the areas you want to work on, to answer any questions you might have about me and the way I work, and to think about how we might work together, and to consider any other questions you might have.
- Parks Inner Child Therapy. Sessions are 1.5 hrs or 2 hrs and can be done weekly, fortnightly, monthly or arranged to suit your needs. If you would like more information about this please don't hesitate to contact me. We can arrange an initial telephone consultation free of charge to consider suitability prior to formal PICT assessment.
- PICT might be helpful for you if you have longstanding difficulties related to childhood trauma, abuse, less resourceful parenting, or other childhood related events. Difficulties might include depression, anxiety, low self esteem, feeling not good enough, anger issues, feelings of guilt or shame, relationship issues, traumatic memories or unwanted behaviours, or other issues. You might have had therapy before to discuss these issues, but still feel stuck with these difficulties and want an effective and efficient way of resolving the impact these issues have on you and your life.
- Please view the following links for further information:
- Fees: 1.5hrs= £97.50 2hrs= £130
Please contact me via telephone by calling or texting to book an appointment or to discuss your needs.
Or you can email me using my contact form at the top of my profile. (Please note that my response might initially go into your spam or junk inbox)
We can discuss your needs initially by phone or email, then schedule an appointment so that I can get to know a bit more about you and the issues you would like to work through. This will also give you a chance to discuss with me how you would like to work in therapy, ask any questions you might have, and see how I can help you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please contact me to discuss your requirements. I offer weekday daytime and evening appointments, from 9am until 7pm.
Types of client