Kate Howells, Integrative Counsellor, Registered MBACP
Hello and welcome to my profile. My name is Kate Howells and I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor who can offer a safe place for you to come and talk about any issues that are troubling you. I understand that it can be a really big step to make the decision to approach a counsellor, particularly if you have not had counselling before. It is widely recognised that in order for therapy to be effective, a really good working relationship between client and counsellor is essential. In light of this, I offer a free 30 minute initial consultation so that you can decide whether you feel comfortable with me and if I am the right counsellor for you.
An Integrative Counsellor is trained in several perspectives, enabling the counsellor to find the best fit to her way of being and working. My work is primarily underpinned by Gestalt Therapy and this approach takes into account the whole person and his/her surrounding environment, respecting that each person's experience of the world is unique. I will listen and respond with integrity to your description of you in your world. You may come with issues such as panic attacks, difficulty in maintaining relationships, depression or an eating disorder. We will explore together how these issues are for you; how they affect your interaction with others and your feelings about them.
Rather than trying to actively wipe out these ways of being, we will work towards getting to know and understand them really well. Although you will have come to therapy because these issues are getting in the way of your everyday existence, you will have initially developed them in response to some difficulty in life. As such, they will have helped you through some challenging circumstances. With increased awareness and acceptance of these parts of you and how you are right now, it will become clearer that there are more choices open to you, if you would like to draw on them.
I really enjoy helping people work towards accepting themselves as they are right now. An essential component of Gestalt Therapy is the 'Paradoxical Theory of Change' (Beisser, 1970). The paradox is that when we strive and struggle to change ourselves we remain stuck. Only when we accept ourselves as we are right now does the process of change begin to occur.
With regard to my background, I did a variety of jobs in my twenties and thirties such as working in research for Headhunters; temping in Advertising and the City and helping to run a hotel. Whilst all of these jobs equipped me with valuable skills, it wasn't until I had children that I began to think that it may be possible to train to do a job I really enjoy. I had always been interested in people and how they relate both to each other and to the world around them and had always thought that counselling would be a really rewarding job. I decided to do a Psychology Degree to give me a really firm starting platform and went on to train as an Integrative Counsellor. I am particularly drawn to the Existential Philosophy which is an essential component of Gestalt Therapy and enjoy reading books related to this area. What I love about counselling is that each and every client is unique and that it is a job that requires life-long learning.
I am an Individual Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work within their Ethical Guidelines for Good Practice in Counselling. I am fully insured and have an up to date enhanced DBS check.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc Psychology (1st Class Honours)
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling - Dartmoor Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre
- Person Centred Couples Counselling (2 days training)
- Domestic Abuse Training – pairs. (2 days training)
- Domestic Abuse Awareness training
- Understanding Child Protection with Plymouth Safeguarding Children Board
- Exploring Suicide Risk
- Understanding Emotional Trauma
- Developing cultural competence for working with LGBT Clients
- Lost in Transition Conference (Intercom Trust) - exploring the needs of gender-conflicted children and young people, and their families/schools
- Working with Shame
- Anger, Rage and Relationship
- KUF Training (3 days training on how to work more effectively with clients diagnosed with a personality disorder)
- Autism Awareness Training
- Ongoing member of a Gestalt Personal Development Group
- Eating Disorder Conference
- I am currently Lead Counsellor of the Victims of Crime Counselling Project at a Plymouth based charity offering support and information to young people between the ages of 13 and 25.
- Counsellor at a Plymouth based Community Interest Company, working with a wide range of clients in both short term and long term work.
- Counsellor at a Plymouth Secondary School, working with girls from the age of 11 to 18 years of age.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
£35 per hour for individual counselling
£50 per hour for couples counselling
Free initial 30 minute consultation.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays and Fridays 8.30 am - 6.00 pm
Types of client