Martin Linton - Viewsaboutlife Counselling
Near Royal Mail
01633 547180 / 07934 473692
Hello and welcome, Its not unusual in todays culture to reach a point where we feel distressed, overwhelmed or in the need of skilled assistance.
My approach as a counsellor integrates a wide-scope of theoretical perspectives, training and experiential practices. These help me assist clients to 'talk through' or 'relate differently' towards the concerns that brings people to look for a counsellor - the counselling is relational and accessible to the everyday person.
My practice is registered and accredited under the professional standards authority (PSA).
It is private, confidential and set in a welcoming, safe, and accepting environment.
My aim is to demonstrate these factors within counselling sessions to make way for empathic understandings, trust, together with clients unique healing process as the relational aspects develop.
Therapeutic results can come about by dialogue or with additional experiential practices to free-up the system.
It is usual to achieve beneficial results with both males and females of varying ages.
My services: Single Session Therapy, Brief Therapy, or Long term Relational Counselling, with both individuals or couples.
I will be privileged to work with adults who have made it their own decision to enter a counselling relationship, being useful for their self and relational well-being (this includes couples).
Training, qualifications & experience
My work / life experience has taken me to most demographics and situations where counselling skills and knowledge have been key.
- Internal Systems or Internal Family Systems (IFS) experiential workshop + mastering skills (sponsored continuing professional development). IFS is the new wave of very effective Systemic therapy, it is useful for both the individual and couples. IFS is evidence based and non-pathologizing.
- Systemic Counselling (BACP Accredited), Honoured Batchelor of Science (B.Sc Hons); integrating Mindfulness / phenomenology / Existentialist and Mentalization ideas with Systemic Thinking (The home of Solution Focused Therapy).
- CBT: Cognitive Behavioural Therapies, studied with a focus on Trauma therapies.
- Trauma therapy: "Rewind" practitioner, (trained directly by Dr Muss). An effective way to quickly take the sting out of traumatic affect.
- Diploma: Systemic Counselling, (Solution Focused constructivist, Modernist strategic / structural, and Post-modern non-pathologising theory - integrating IFS theory and practices).
- Diploma: Psychotherapeutic Counselling, (Solution Focused, Humanistic, and traditional Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Integrative studies: i.e. Three Routes of Counselling (Traditional: Humanistic, Psychodynamic and Rational Emotive Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Metacognition: Embedding the Self in Culture: Brain plasticity and how to achieve it for self-development at the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute.
- Vipassana x30 (Mindfulness stress reduction and coping tequniques): Experiential acceptance and commitment training and consultation. This involves the therapeutic use of "metta balm" consciousness and compassion focused strategies; useful for therapeutic work with craving / compulsion, depression, anxiety and trauma.
- Intrusive Thoughts & The Critical Inner Voice. Workshop influenced by IFS ideas.
- Relationship Rescue. Workshop delivered ideas and technique for couples counselling.
- Conflict Resolution. Basic training for private and social practice.
- EMDR. Workshop for stress reduction by using left and right consciousness'.
- EFT. Workshop for stress reduction by using pressure points and the bodies energies.
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trained) Suicide Prevention trained + updated.
The counselling methods that are used are for collaborating closely, intuitively, and sensitively towards assisting with identifying a healthy relational balance within the self or with other. This usually becomes very useful to generate new-perspectives that in-turn help towards meaningful well-being, with felt improvements / transformative changes to life experiences. The relationship can utilize or embed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness, and Integrative ideas within a Humanistic / Systemic counselling context - to work with and assist the clients own choices and nature.
I have counselled many years at Mind and have worked with a vast range of presenting problems. e.g. from the general public, Doctor, Hospital referrals and also other counsellors. All this is complimentary to a wide scope of transferable skills and understandings form both my work and personal history.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Non-Voyeuristic Counselling,
- Emotional Dissolution (relief),
- Critical Inner Voice,
- Inner child / dream work,
- Excessive Shame / Guilt.
- Living with the effects of medical birth,
- Living with Asthma and / or Allergies.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Jungian therapy
Professional fees are generally set with other counsellor / psychotherapists in the demographic but are negotiable depending on circumstances and availability
Session price guide [£45] (No travel or additional services are included).
Fees may vary depending on the practice requirements and times [pre arrange].
Typically sessions are 1 full hour in duration but are negotiated to a suited relational and practical frequency during our meetings.
Limited number of low cost sessions to students and potential charitable causes (daytime only).
More about my position as a counsellor can be seen on my website link at the top of this page. Otherwise, please contact me with any queries, if a pre-session chat may be useful to you (free of charge), before booking an appointment.
Locations: Counselling in Cwmbran NP44 (day and evenings) or Newport central NP20 [a private room within café Ludek] (daytime only).
[Bristol: Friday practice].
**Limited Offer**: Low cost Mondays - when booked counselling clients make a purchase (E.g. Tea / Coffee / cake etc) at Café Ludek, receive a low cost session (50 minute), Monday daytime only [11am - 3pm]. Please call / text / email to negotiate prices and session availability.
Enhanced Public Child and Adult DBS clearance is in place.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English speaking only, apologies.|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|