Martin Linton MNCS (Accred), Individuals & Couples.
01633 547180 / 07934 473692
Hello and welcome...
There are many reasons why people seek the skills a counselling relationship offers. However, being 'ill' or having a big problem is not a requirement to benefit from attending this type of relationship... I believe therapy can benefit everybody.
The professional assistance and skill-sets I offer draw off a variety of professional trainings to assist people who are experiencing a need for change or to simply enhance their wellbeing. Subsequently, freeing into the senses of living, together with emotional fulfilment, new ways that become co-constructed in most cases generate achievable health possibilities.
My practice assists individuals and couples / relationships. This means its not exclusive to coupled partners / marriage but can also be useful for: e.g. brother and sister, mother and child, friends, or work colleagues.
The Systemic Therapy / Counselling contexts of practice I work from offers the above and puts focus on the relationships that exist both inside personal experiences / thoughts / feelings, whilst observing external patterns and social contexts that surrounds, informs, generates, constructs and relations with these inner realities.
The approaches used in my practice are mindfully healing and can be deeply freeing for many people, (this includes relief from pain and arthritis! - follow the above link to my website for more info on the research).
Recently, research has also shown all counselling is most effective via the "relational context" and this is where the "Systemic" counselling context sets itself apart because this has always been the focus from its roots, within social development.
I feel deeply honoured to meet people as their counsellor and witness their transformation.
What to Expect:
- Empathic, compassionate, respectful and safe attention.
- A warm, honest, collaborative / dialogical therapeutic relationship.
- Assistance and trust towards meeting clients realistic therapeutic needs.
- An amalgam of containment, listening, creativity, coaching, gentle challenge and encouragement towards the potentials of wholesome well-being.
- Emerging difference with new communicative ways and calm, this newness of change may initially feel a little strange.
- An opportunity to discover, tune emotional communication (feelings), and express yourself fully.
- Value-based focus with mindful attunement from extensive experience.
- Results with either male or female clients.
My Practice is:
- Private, confidential and set in a welcoming, safe, and accepting environment,
- Registered and accredited under the Professional Standards Authority (PSA),
- Assistive of people from many walks of life to generate connection,
- Seeking not to pathologize or faultify peoples thinking or limit itself with mechanized approaches,
- Understanding that each person has unique requirements for enriching their own life,
- Works with personal distress' and difficulties that effect the relationship with both the "Self and others".
Training, qualifications & experience
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) Practitioner / Psychotherapy. I have completed the practitioner Mastering Skills trainings. IFS Therapy is the new wave of very effective Systemic Practice that is both evidence and practice -based, mindful, safe and non-pathologizing psychotherapy for individuals - this means it heals without putting the fault on you by compassionately valuing you and your inner systems to the core of existence.
- Intimacy From the Inside Out (IFIO) Couples / Relationship Therapy. IFIO assists people to work through difficulty or simply enhance relational quality. I am privileged to offer this fresh and different approach for couples / relationship work, enabling difficult conversations to become both possible, safe and intimate. I believe, IFIO provides a way to elicit what humans innately crave. IFIO is a unique blend of traditional Imago Therapy fused with "Systemic Ideas" through utilising IFS Practice, with a balancing relational approach.
- Systemic Counselling (BACP Accredited), Honoured Batchelor of Science - BSc Hons integrating Vipassana - Mindfulness / phenomenology / Existentialist and Mentalization within Systemic Thinking (The home of Solution Focused Therapy).
- CBT: Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (3rd Wave / Mindfulness based), studied with a focus on Trauma therapies (TFCBT).
- Trauma Therapy: "Rewind" practitioner, (trained directly by Dr Muss 2015). An effective way to quickly relieve traumatic feelings.
- Diploma: Systemic Counselling, (Solution Focused constructivist, Modernist strategic / structural, and Post-modern non-pathologising theory - integrating IFS theory and practices).
- Diploma: Psychotherapeutic Counselling, (Solution Focused, Humanistic, and traditional Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Integrative Studies: i.e. Three Routes of Counselling (Traditional: Humanistic, Psychodynamic and Rational Emotive Cognitive Behavioural Therapies).
- Metacognition: Embedding the Self in Culture: Brain plasticity and how to achieve it for self-development at the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute.
- Vipassana Practice (Mindfulness stress reduction and coping tequniques): Experiential acceptance and commitment training and consultation. This involves the therapeutic use of "metta balm" consciousness and compassion focused strategies; useful for therapeutic work with craving / compulsion, depression, anxiety and trauma.
- Relationship Rescue. Workshop delivered ideas and technique for couples counselling.
- Conflict Resolution Practices. Basic human relations training for both private and social practice (relationship mediation and coaching).
- EMDR. Workshop for stress reduction by using left and right consciousness'.
- EFT. Workshop for stress reduction by using meridian points, pressure and the energies contained inside the body.
- Intrusive Thoughts & The Critical Inner Voice. Workshop influenced by IFS ideas.
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trained) Suicide Prevention trained + updated.
My aim is to allow these factors within counselling sessions to co-create ways for empathic understandings together with clients unique choices and healing process, as the relational aspects develop.
As a counsellor my professional experience has enabled me to deal with the wide range of presenting issues. My speciality is finding and working with the trauma that often is the root of other issues that communicate as symptoms. This means I am used to working with a wide range of presenting problems. e.g. General Public / Private, Mind, Doctor referrals / Hospital referrals, Social issues, and also referrals from other counsellors. All this is complimentary to a wide scope of transferable skills and understandings from my work as a staff mentor where I coached to cope with difficulty and stress. My work / personal life experience have taken me to a broad array of demographics / contexts / and situations where counselling / coaching skills and knowledge have been key.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Non-Voyeuristic Counselling,
- Emotional Dissolution (relief),
- It has all contribute to who I am, but is it really me?
- Inner children, others - influence bound.
- Excessive Shame / Guilt.
- Living with the effects of medical birth,
- Living with Asthma and / or Allergies.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
Professional Fees are generally set with other counsellor / psychotherapists in the demographic but are negotiable depending on circumstances and availability
Session price guide:
Couples / relationships £50-75].
Clients are invited to fit their payment to this scale in accordance to their income/s and situation.
Discounts for regular clients, students are available in daytime slots (can be arranged during sessions). Exceptions for reduced fees may be possible.
Typically sessions are 1 full hour limited duration, but can be negotiated to a suited relational and practical frequency during our meetings. Extended and back to back sessions can be arranged [discounted rate] to benefit specific contexts such as Single Session Therapy for trauma reconstruction, more deeply focused work, IFS, or confidential relationship workshops - IFIO.
My Services - for individuals or couples
- Single Session Therapy, (back to back hours in one session): to attend crisis for individual trauma or for relationship /maintenance / repair workshops / IFS / IFIO.
- Short Term Therapy, (up to 5 sessions).
- Brief Therapy (6-12 sessions).
- Long-term Relational Counselling (unlimited sessions).
Limited number of low cost sessions to students and potential charitable causes (daytime only).
More about my position as a counsellor can be seen on my website link at the top of this page. Otherwise, please contact me with any queries, if a pre-session chat may be useful to you (free of charge), before booking an appointment.
Safety: Please be mindful about the disclosure sensitive information within emails / texts.
I feel privileged to work with adults who have made it their own decision to enter a counselling relationship, being useful for their self and relational well-being.
Locations: Counselling in Cwmbran NP44 (day and evenings) or Newport central NP20 [a private room (daytime only 11am - 1pm limited spaces). Please clearly state the location required.
- Therapeutic results come about via dialogue or with additional experiential practices to free-up the system.
- The focus can be on a particular issue or with multiple aspects of the relational system.
- Work with the counsellor and client within a collaborative value-based system.
- Manifest beneficial results with both males and females of varying ages.
Enhanced Public Child and Adult DBS clearance is in place.
- Telephone counselling is a last resort option for senior citizens / disabled and in the event of online drop-out.
- Internet counselling coming soon.
In today’s culture its normal for people to reach a point where they may feel distressed. Life can feel burdened rather than free and calm. On a logical level human beings can argue with our selves that "all should be fine" - yet somehow things can remain with feelings and meanings that suggest things are not right. People can find themselves stressed, having to create new ways to make changes to move away from mental suffering / illness, solve emotional charge, make more sense of their life - or considering themselves relatively healthy simply desire to find something to assist their living existence, with enriched wholesome experience...
It intrigues me how emotive communication can create detachment from, or be attaching towards, a person’s innate vital qualities. The counselling approaches I offer attends and explores these intricacies, experiences, patterns and parts of human experience both at the logical and emotional levels. This means I don't just work with thoughts but also with the contextual aspects that inform a persons thoughts i.e. what generates the thought patterns along with the thoughts themselves. This is to enable clearer listening, understandings, adjustments and the arising possibilities of new found perspectives and inner freedom.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English speaking only, apologies.|
>Individuals & Couples: Please email first with the time/s you would prefer to attend sessions. e.g. Day / evening week days. I will do my best to fit you in.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|