Marilyn Lush MBACP Accredited
I am a fully qualified and experienced BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist with an Enhanced CR Certificate (formely known as DBS Certificate).
I offer a very supportive and professional counselling service working sensitively alongside my clients. I work within the BACP Ethical Framework and am committed to Continuing Professional Development. I see clients at either my Southsea or Fareham venue, whichever is the most convenient for my clients
- Individual Counselling for all ages
- Couple Counselling
- Individual Counselling through Skype, Facetime, Whatsapp
- Telephone counselling
- Individual Counselling by telephone
If you are feeling lost, low, depressed, confused, anxious, angry, or are suffering from a loss, a betrayal and in despair about your life, a relationship, your work or your personal circumstances, then you may be considering counselling as a way forward. However you may be feeling unsure of what it involves.
If you are needing help, well I am here to help you.
To put it simply counselling is like untangling a ball of knotted wool or string. The knots may represent problems, personal issues or emotions that have become stuck and are clogging your ability to feel free, be yourself and live life to the full. By engaging in counselling, you are helping yourself to untie the knots and are supported in the process.
I work successfully with clients from the older to the younger generation regardless of gender orientation, who are seeking to work on their personal issues and find a way out of the entangled ‘mess’ that exists within.
Individual Counselling is ultimately an exhilarating experience. It enables you eventually to gain your inner peace, rising above the fear, the guilt, the resentment and other negative feelings, that have built up in various layers over the years or even months - and led to you constantly living in turmoil with feelings such as confusion, anger, despair, sadness and other negative emotions which can eat away and overwhelm you.
I work at my client’s pace, from where they feel safe to explore their concerns. I do this by 'walking alongside' them as they explore, examine and challenge the issues and emotions which arise.
We would work together and in a way which would enable you to feel heard. Ultimately I would be helping you to empower yourself and move on emotionally from the shackles that have placed /are placing limitations on your physical and emotional well being.
Counselling Children and young teenagers - over the years I have worked extensively with young people. I am able to form positive working relationships with youngsters enabling them to quickly feel relaxed, safe and secure and as a result confident to express what is really bothering them so that their emotional issues can be addressed, healed and managed. This experience has involved me in supporting and counselling youngsters who have experienced safe guarding and child protection issues as well as others who struggle with the pressures of everyday life, living in an ever changing and demanding world.
Couple/Relationship Counselling. Couple Counselling is about focusing on the relationship. It involves raising awareness of where the relationship has gone wrong from each party's perspective. It offers a non-judgemental space to say it as it really is for you, so that you feel fully heard and you are encouraged to listen attentively yourself.
I would be helping both partners to identify and acknowledge what can be saved in the relationship, what can be jointly built upon and what can be changed for both parties in order to help the relationship to heal and move forward. Part of the counselling work is about exploring a mutually agreed way to reconnect once the pain on both sides has been expressed, shared and acknowledged.
For some clients, Couple Counselling may involve helping a relationship to end amicably and respectfully and helping each partner to deal with their loss.
I feel passionately about the power of counselling to make a real difference in transforming the lives of individuals and of couples.
Isn’t that something to invest in for yourself?
Training, qualifications & experience
I have the following Professional qualifications:
- Diploma in Humanistic Counselling
- Advanced Certificate in Couples and Relationship Counselling
- Certificate of Practice in Couples and Relationship Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling and Guidance (from King Alfred's College Winchester)
- B.Ed (2nd Hons from Southampton University)
- Certificate in Education (from Southampton University)
I am proactive in updating my professional knowledge and counselling skills by regularly engaging in further training/study. Key areas of recent training/study are:
- Couples Counselling and Relationship Counselling,
- Relationship issues
- Psycho-sexual issues
- Alcohol Recovery,
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy),
- Attachment issues
- Motherhood and Mental Illness
- Domestic Violence
- Trauma - Emergency Onsite Intervention in the Aftermath of a Traumatic Incident
- Sexual Abuse
- Eating Disorders
I have worked as a Counsellor since 2001, and originally trained in Humanistic Counselling. However as a result of my continuous professional development I now integrate other models of counselling into my counselling work in order to meet the needs of my clients.
I am experienced in working with clients across the full age range - from youngsters of school age, with students at university, with adults of working age, through to adults of pensionable age - regardless of gender and sexual orientation.
I commenced my professional work as a Counsellor in 2001.
For 14 years prior to this, I worked extensively using my counselling skills individually with young people and with young people and their parents. This work followed a 4 month full time Guidance and Counselling Course I attended at King Alfred's College Winchester which was the beginning of my counselling training journey.
Since qualifying as a Counsellor and my prior experience of working with more than one person I have undertaken further training in Couple and Relationship Counselling including an Advanced Certificate in Couple and Relationship Counselling.
- Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy MBCAP
- BACP Accredited Counsellor - MBCAP (Accred)
- United Kingdom Register of Counsellors an Psychotherapists - UKRCP
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Alcohol related issues within the family
Children in Care/Adoption - identity and attachment issues
For Individual Counselling my fee is £60.00 per 50 minute session
For Couple Counselling my fee is £65.00 per 50 minute session or £90.00 for an 90 minute session
- I am an experienced Counsellor, fully qualified and BACP Accredited.
- I run my Private Practice from Southsea and Fareham.
- I counsel local clients as well as clients from West Sussex, Surrey and other parts of Hampshire
- I counsel some clients using Skype and Facetime. This has enabled local clients who are housebound to access counselling.
- I counsel clients in other parts of the UK as well as those living abroad through Skype and Facetime.
- I work extensively across the FULL age range.
- I have worked in several large comprehensive schools counselling students and supervising the work of other in-school counsellors.
- I have been a Counsellor for university students
- For 8.5 years, prior to running my Private Counselling Practice, I was a Counsellor for a Portsmouth Adult Counselling Service.
- I offer individual and couple counselling. This can be extended to family counselling where appropriate.
- I have huge experience of working within the area of education, face to face with young people, in the management of adults and in the areas of Special Education and Emotional needs.