Helen Swords MA UKCP
Richford Gate Primary Care Centre
01494 257 845 / 07957 432 851
Can I help you? Who should you talk to, and can anyone really help? I will genuinely try my best to do just that. Accredited with the UK Council for Psychotherapy, for 20 years I have worked as a psychotherapist, counsellor and supervisor, offering successful high quality support to adult men and women, including couples, and young people when life has become difficult
Life can seem dark at times. Or if not dark then confusing. One in four of us will experience this at some point in our lives. Some clients will arrive for a first session with a clear understanding of what is wrong - with them or with their life. But it is also true that many clients are at a loss when it comes to knowing exactly why they feel so unhappy, or overwhelmed. My approach to working with you as a client might vary. Always, I would endeavour to listen carefully to what it is you need to express, and I might also talk quite a bit to you too, if that would help make a session more effective, so that you can quickly feel some relief.
Help can be provided for: anxiety, depression, panic, phobias; addiction, bereavement, life changes; couple and family matters, issues at school or college, social media, bullying, fertility, post natal depression, separation, divorce, stress at work, ageing and retirement and many other difficulties.
I am also one of a limited number of approved specialist infertility counsellors working in the UK.
As a client you would be seen either for a short number of sessions or for longer-termed sessions according to your individual needs and circumstances. I work in Hammersmith, west London, and Amersham in Buckinghamshire. Telephone or Skype sessions can be considered too.
If you have private health insurance it maybe that the cost of your sessions will be covered as I am a recognised professional practitioner with leading private health providers.
Training, qualifications & experience
* I am a trained psychoanalytic psychotherapist, registered by the UK Council for Psychotherapy in 2005 (UKCP). This was an in-depth training spanning 6 years, to provide effective, and high-quality psychoanalysis, and psychotherapy.
* I have successfully worked with clients suffering from many different emotional problems, during 1997 to the present, across a range of settings including for the NHS, local government employees, commercial business funded clients and in private practice. I have also supported young people in schools.
* I have worked with clients experiencing fertility related issues since 2002 to the present, registered with the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) as one of a limited number of UK approved specialist counsellors.
* I am a member of The Site for Contemporary Psychoanalysis, from 1999 - 2018. I teach on the Site's therapists' training programme, and have recently completed my term as Co-Chair of the Ethics Committee.
* I studied for a Masters Degree in Art Theory, in London, from 1994 to 1996, specialising in reading aspects of philosophy and psychoanalytic theory. I have articles published in Circa Arts Magazine.
* I supervise the work of trainee counsellors, psychotherapists, and analysts.
* Before the above, I worked as a producer for broadcasting, and in teaching.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Individual adults finding life difficult; Couples needing a safe, calm space to talk to each other.
£55 individuals. Couples £65 *. In addition, I offer a limited number of on-going low-cost spaces typically for clients who are students, under-employed or may be retired. These spaces are predominantly offered during the day time, but please ask for details.
(* If you have been referred through a fertility clinic my fee may have to differ, due to additional administration. Please ask for full details.)
My preferred approaches are psychodynamic and psychoanalytic, as these methods are particularly rigorous, and can be very effective at providing longer lasting help.
I hope you will get in touch.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Hello, I supervise the clinical work of trainee and more experienced psychoanalysts, psychotherapists and counsellors.