Fran Jeffes BA(Hons) Humanistic-Integrative Counselling MBACP registered.
2A Church Road
077882 999 18
Are you feeling overwhelmed, or unsure as to exactly how you are feeling? Are you wanting to experience life in a different way but can't work out how?
I offer a safe, accepting and non-judgemental approach, where we can confidentially look at any worries, anxiety and difficulties you are having. My approach values your individual uniqueness and curiosity about wanting to find better ways of experiencing life. You may want to talk through and explore confusing relationship issues, explore feelings of depression or anxiety, consider any family issues, or any other problems.
A past client, 'Liz, 42yrs', has given me permission to print her personal reflections on our recent work together. She wrote:
'I went to visit Fran after some very painful family issues rose to the surface, that I thought had been dealt with over 20 years ago. She walked with me through this difficult time in my life helping me to talk about and understand these issues, my anxiety and my feelings. Fran was so kind, gentle and nurturing. I felt very at ease. She helped me release so much pain, shame and guilt that I had been carrying for so many years. Such a blessing.'
Counselling has helped my past clients with the following experiences:-
- Confusion about your identity and who you are
- Impact of historic or current violence, abuse and trauma
- Feeling afraid, stressed about the future and panicky
- Experiencing anxiety, depression or suicidal thoughts
- Feeling stuck in life or held back
- Feeling empty, abandoned, lonely, and unable to make satisfying relationships
- Loss, bereavement, relationship breakdown
- Difficulties relating with family members
- Feeling in crisis or in a state of breakdown.
Emotional states can feel overwhelming, out of control and even frightening. The resulting generalised anxiety, fear, depression or panic disorder, can lead you to shutting down, or feeling hemmed in by defensive reactions. In the past, these automatic ways of coping may have worked, but they now feel awkward and inappropriate. Counselling can help us work toward finding better ways of coping and new ways of responding.
Counselling provides you the opportunity to talk freely about any problems. Counselling offers you the chance to explore the meanings behind your experiences, helping to understand any anxiety, and searching for new choices in life.
What to expect
In our first session I ask you to help me get a sense of how you have been feeling over the past month and how you are coping with life. Hearing the headline details of what has brought you to counselling, you can tell me about your hopes for therapy. Together we can decide what approach would suit you best, and the number of sessions that would help you to achieve what you are looking for.
Working in the Humanistic approach means us exploring your difficulties together. Together we can slowly unpack any worries, things causing you anxiety or leading to feelings of depression. Counselling helps you find more resources to cope with life, relationship issues and how to make new choices.
I always pace our work carefully so that I can really understand how you are feeling, any anxiety, or depression and what you are thinking. My work is to help you make sense of your experiences and for us together, to help you find better ways of coping.
I am an experienced counsellor and have worked with many clients. I am a Registered member of the BACP and can offer you short-term crisis prevention work or longer therapy.
Why does counselling work?
Counselling can help you to find the emotional and psychological support needed to carry on, lower anxiety levels and facilitate the growing self-confidence needed to make future choices.
My work is based on self-compassion, regaining self-esteem and confidence. I have counselled both men and women. My work has helped clients with ongoing depression, generalised anxiety disorder, unhelpful relationship patterns and panic attacks.
After gaining an initial understanding of your history, relationships issues and family issues, we explore your most greatest worries and hopes for our work together. Our work, in a safe and confidential setting, can help you to find ways of coping, and to develop the self-esteem necessary to make different choices in life.
Over the years I have helped individuals as they transformed their situations. Through our work together clients have made the following life changes :
- Many have improved their relationship issues with partners, colleagues, family and friends.
- Some were able to change their automatic negative thoughts, lowering their anxiety.
- Others came to terms with painful losses alleviating their depression.
- Some gained the understanding and acceptance of the past.
- Many gained a new self-confidence and the ability to make new life choices.
My approach provides you a deeper understanding around your experiences, giving you the opportunity to explore different options. Valuing your unique potential, we can focus on your priorities. By working through and clarifying your thoughts and feelings, I can support you in becoming more self-aware and self-confident.
Counselling provides the emotional support needed when facing relationship issues, family issues, experiencing anxiety or panic disorders, and when feeling sad or depressed.
I offer one to one, individual 50 minute sessions, on a weekly basis. I work with couples for one hour sessions.
Our work can be either short term, when facing an immediate crisis, or longer term. You can choose what is best for you.
I have a private practice in therapy rooms in Hove.
Training, qualifications & experience
BA (Hons) Humanistic Counselling
BA (Hons) Fine Art
Dip. NLP (INLPTA)
I receive regular supervision and ongoing continual professional development.
My experience spans Agency, Charity and private practice work throughout Hampshire, West and East Sussex.
I have gained experience in working with:
- men and women experiencing relationship issues and who are repeating unwanted relational patterns
- individuals navigating what retirement means and how to create a new meaningful life
- individuals for whom emotional abuse has been their experience
- women who have experienced pregnancy loss through miscarriage, abortion, stillbirth or termination
- women undergoing IVF
- generalised anxiety disorder and depression
- others just unable to cope at the moment
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- I also work to help with personal development, self-awareness, and emotional growth. Therapy can be a way to walk through life changes, facilitating an increase in personal resources, developing more resilliance and gaining a deeper understanding of your personal identity.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Panic disorder
- Relationship issues
- Dependency; co-dependency;
- Mood swings
- Being overly tearful and feeling sad
- Family issues
- Bereavement and loss
- IVF treatment
- Emotional abuse
- Flashbacks and panic attacks
- Separation and divorce
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
Photos & videos
I offer a free telephone consultation before we decide to start our work together. This gives us both an idea of what to expect, and I can explain how I might be able to help you.
- Session fees for individuals: £45 - 50 minute session.
couples: £65 - one hour session.
- I offer a student concession: £35 - 50 minute session.
My rooms are located at:-
2A Church Road, Hove, BN3 2FL
and 64 Wilbury Road, Hove, BN3 1PY
and can be reached by:
- Train: Hove Station is a 10 minute walk.
- Bus: 1,1A,2,5,5A,5B,6,7,21,21A,25.
- Car parking in the area is pay and display, or there is a multi-storey carpark behind the council offices, in Norton Road, Hove.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available Monday - Friday am - pm
Types of client