Registered Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist and Supervisor
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Hello and thank you for choosing to visit my profile.
My name is Bilyana Wharton, I am accredited psychotherapist, hypnotherapist and supervisor. My area of expertise is working with clients suffering with Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Past childhood trauma/Attachment trauma, Psychological and Sexual Abuse and Relationship issues.
30 minutes Free Zoom Appointment
The most important aspect in therapy is to find out if I am the right therapist for you and how I can help. I understand it can be a big step reaching out to find the therapist that can help you make sense of what is happening in your life at the moment. Even if you can recognise the present issues and intuitively identify what is causing difficulties, still it may feel as if you are 'stuck' in perpetuate moment. And this is alright, as most of us at some stage in life may struggle with inability to resolve or move away from experiences or people that are hurtful.
It is essential for the positive outcome of the therapeutic process that you feel comfortable and safe during our sessions. This is the reason I offer 30 minutes Free Zoom appointment so we can find out how we can work together.
How Psychotherapy can help
The therapy process is complex and involves exploration of everything that collectively makes you your own unique and individual person: your experiences, emotions, cognition, beliefs system, attitudes and relationships.
Therapy can be compared with a journey towards oneself by visiting every area of life that matters to you or had an effect on you. Past experiences helped you become the person you are today. Through therapy, in a safe and non-judgemental environment, you can gain freedom and confidence to become the person you want to be.
Some areas we explore in therapy that may resonate with you:
- Make sense of your past experiences and learn to let go of negative, painful emotions.
- Re-write the context of your experiences from the perspective of the adult you have become today.
- Get an insight on what is really going on in your Relationships and learn to recognise and move away from unhealthy, 'toxic' relationships.
- Gain Self awareness of your psychological needs and how you can meet them.
- Identify and enhance your character strengths and learn to employ them.
- Learn Self-empowering and Self-care strategies to combat Anxiety, Depression and Stress.
- Heal your emotions.
- Work on Self-Defeating Beliefs and re-construct your belief system to one that serves you best.
- Explore new communication skills to help express your true opinion and feelings with clarity and respect.
Whatever questions or queries you may have about the therapy process or how I can help, you are welcome to get in touch via email to email@example.com and I will be happy to clarify those.
Counselling and Hypnotherapy for Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety affects one in four individuals and each one of us will experience anxiety at some point in life. The defying symptom is the presence of persistent worry about life, people or the future. Some people experience anxiety for a period of time and manage to resolve the issue through their own mental resources. However, when the state of anxiety begins to affect how we function on daily basis and we notice a change in our behaviours due to the conditions, that is the moment when professional help needs to be considered.
Symptoms of Anxiety
The symptoms can be:
Physiological - palpitation, hyperventilation, stomach tightness or cramps, headaches, insomnia, nausea, diarrhoea.
Cognitive - excessive worrying, lack of focus, difficulty concentrating or formulating your thoughts, irrational thoughts, cognitive distortions, doom-day scenarios.
Emotional/Psychological - feeling of overwhelm, inability to cope with daily tasks, feeling guilt, shame or embarrassed, irritability, panic attacks, fatigue, feeling agitated, feeling like going crazy.
The process of Counselling and Hypnotherapy in treating Anxiety Disorder
Any type of Anxiety Disorder has particular expression and specific presentation. One of the most important things is to realise that the condition is treatable and does not define the client. Each person is unique and during the therapy process we work with the individual and their internal representations, inner experiences, feelings and thoughts. Finding the reasons, learning new, healthier and more adequate strategies of coping and engaging with everyday life, transforming old habits and safely transition from a state of anxiety and fear to one that is a better and more adjusted state of mind is all part of the therapeutic process.
Psychotherapy for Depression
Depression is a complex mental health issue that affects how the individual perceives and interacts with oneself, others, life and world. It affects the state of mind and being on daily basis with the constant presence of the main underlying feeling of sadness. It is classified as a mood disorder and can occur in cases where psychological, physical or sexual abuse, domestic violence, bullying, childhood trauma or family dis-functionality may have been present.
Depression has different levels of presentation and it is important to identify where the person is within those scales. That will determine the type of therapy, frequency of sessions and interventions.
Working with clients that are within the state of Depression is like searching for the meaning of life. It can deprive the persons life of joy, happiness, meaningful relationships and optimism for the future. Very often the condition may develop during teenage years or even during childhood that may delay the early diagnosis.
There are so many different signs of depression with every individual person experiencing the condition in their own unique way. Some of the symptoms are listed bellow.
- Feeling low, fatigued, numb or uninterested
- Stop enjoying activities you once found pleasurable
- Eating less or more
- Sleeping less or more
- Avoiding social situation and people
- Loss of motivation and meaning of life
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feeling hopeless, irritable, lonely, miserable, unworthy or upset
- Being self-critical
- Irrational anger
- Persistent tears
Cause of Depression
Research and clinical studies have found the underlying reason of the condition to be a dis-regulated nervous system that results in chemical dis-balance in the brain. Childhood adversity, past childhood trauma or any significant life event that has severe emotional, psychological or physiological impact on the individual can be the reason of dis-regulated nervous system leading to development of depression.
Treatment of Depression
The Mind - Body connection is influenced by our experiences and the way we assign meaning to them. One of the keys to unlocking the way out of depression is revising that complex system of our internal world and making changes that are necessary and desired. This is what the process of counselling and psychotherapy can do. The aim of the therapy process is relieving and releasing the symptoms and dealing with the underlying cause of the issue. Together, therapist and client can explore and restructure internal experiences, mental processes and life representations eventually reaching a point of recovery that allows the client to resume life in a better frame of mind.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training, Qualifications & Experience
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision – 2021 – School of Clinical and Neurolinguistic Hypnotherapy
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy - Chrysalis Courses - 2012
- Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy - Chrysalis Courses - 2011
- Diploma Hypnotherapy and CS - Chrysalis Courses - 2010
- Specialisation in Music - Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski - 1994
- Master’s Degree in Pedagogy - Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski - 1994
Continuous Professional Development Courses
· Integrative Interventions for Anxiety, Depression and Mental Health Disorders training with Vanessa Ruiz – Essential Therapy Training - 2021
· The Dynamic Maturation Model of Attachment - Implications and Opportunities for Clinical Practice - Dr Benedict Gray - Roehampton University - 2021
· Trauma and Attachment: Effective Treatment Strategies for Individuals and Families - Terry Levy Ph.D. - Essential Therapy Training - 2021
· Working with Adult Clients with Attachment Trauma - with Arun Mansukhani Psy. Dp. - Essential Therapy Training - 2021
· The Knowledge Broker Blueprint - with Tony Robbins and Dean Graziosi – 2019 - 2020 – six months course.
· Introduction to Gestalt & Parts Therapy - with Joanna Taylor School of Clinical & Neurolinguistic Hypnotherapy - 2020
· TEAM-CBT Methods for Anxiety Disorders: Step-by-Step training for Therapists - with David Burns, M.D., Jill Levitt, Ph.D. The Feeling good Institute – 2019
· Relationships Therapy – 2019 – own research into relationship dynamics, in particular intimate relationships and relationships between Parent and Adult Child.
· Hypno-Primal Weight Management Program – own research – 2018 – creating a holistic weight loss plan aligned with the natural Body-Mind connection.
· Next Level Workshop – own research – 2018 – using therapy with Future orientation to enhance performance and achievement.
· Child maltreatment, brain imaging and mental illness - RSM - The Royal Society of Medicine - 2018
· Do we dream to remember? Do we dream to survive? - RSM - The Royal Society of Medicine - 2018
· Anxiety Disorders- NICE - National Institute for Health and Care Excellence - e-learning - 2015
· Virtual Gastric Band Therapy - Sheila Granger -2012
· Self- Harm workshop - HOPE Foundation for survivors of sexual abuse - 2012
· Introduction to REBT - Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy - with Professor Windy Dryden - Leeds Counselling - 2011
· Surviving to Thriving - working with survivors of sexual abuse - HOPE Foundation for survivors of sexual abuse - 2011
· Basic awareness in Child Protection - North Yorkshire Safeguarding Children Boards - 2011
· Trained and worked as a volunteer at HOPE foundation for survivors of sexual abuse – 18 months of experience and training – 2011 - 2012.
· Trained and worked as a therapist at Anxiety UK – 3 years of experience and training – 2015 - 2018.
As a therapist I use predominantly the T.I.M.E. Model I have been trained in. This model combines the knowledge and tools from different schools of therapy such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Transactional Analysis, REBT, Psychodynamic Approach, Jungian Psychology, Gestalt Therapy and Person Cantered Therapy making the therapy process integrative and intrinsic. Hypnosis and visualisations are used whenever suitable to enhance the positive outcome of therapy.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society (NCS)
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Counselling and Hypnotherapy for Enhancing Human Performance
The Next Level Therapy
Therapy is a process that not only can resolve past issues and present mental health conditions but can enhance the human performance in multiple areas of life. The science of success and high achievement has found it's representation in the couching profession that is the 'younger and ambitious sister' of psychotherapy.
Psychological and behavioural models and patterns proven to be present among highly successful and happy individuals and organisations have been studied and systematised into approaches, mindsets, strategies and attitudes that can be learned and applied by anyone.
The time orientation of Next Level therapy is on the Future. When we are resolving mental health issues, sometimes it is necessary to look back at the Past in order to make sense of the present emotional and psychological experiences of the individual. Next Level therapy assesses the present levels of performance to use as a platform from which the future is visualised, particular target/dream/vision is set and the way how to get there is 'mapped'.
This type of therapy is complex and depends on what level of growth the individual or the organisation would like to reach in order to dominate within their industry, profession or area of expertise.
Other conditions that counselling and hypnotherapy can help with
Past Childhood Trauma and Abuse
From £45.00 to £60.00
Concessions offered for
Standard 60 minutes psychotherapy session fee is £60 per hour.
Block session bookings are available on reduced fee.
To download the full Terms and Conditions of the Practice please visit www.bilyanawharton.com
Concession fees for NHS, Police and Emergency services personnel.
When I work
Appointments: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
Early morning Appointments: Monday to Saturday 6am - 9am
Late evening appointments: Monday to Saturday 8pm - 10pm
Making the choice of going into therapy is never an easy one. There are a few things to consider or do when you making a decision:
- Make your research on the issue so you know what you are dealing with. This is not self-diagnosing. The aim is to get more information around your symptoms and gain more clarity.
- Research different therapists through professional directories and check if they are accredited. Never approach a therapist that is not accredited.
- When you have made your decision it is alright to pick the phone up and talk to the therapist that you have chosen. The successful outcome of therapy depends on the rapport between therapist and client. It is of vital importance that you trust and feel comfortable in the presence of your counsellor.
What my clients say about the services I provide:
"I knew I had a problem but just didn't know what to do about it. I found Bilyana's number and decided to give her a try. I am so glad I did. She is such a lovely lady, with a lovely calming voice that I felt instantly at ease. I was worried that my problem could never be fixed but she has helped me enormously and I now feel more able to cope with everyday life situations and able to deal with my problem.
Thank you so much Bilyana."
"I think you are a brilliant therapist and you have helped me tremendously. I can't thank you enough. I think your service is excellent and you have always been very understanding with me. I do not feel the service needs to change in anyway! Thank you!"
"My life has improved such a lot in the last 6 months with the counselling. I feel stronger and much more confident."
"Bilyana has a real gift. Her presence, demeanour and her special voice give real comfort and reassurance to anyone with a problem. She is very sensitive and empathetic and professional. She treats her work very seriously and listens carefully so the feedback she gives is nourishing and useful. Her English is excellent.
My problem is huge to me, so to have someone like Bilyana to talk to was uplifting and comforting."