Andy Rayner, MBACP, MBPsS
Hello and welcome,
People from all walks of life seek counselling at times in their lives
• Whether you’re feeling depressed & ruminating about past experience(s), or anxiously worrying about future event(s).
• Sometimes people are traumatised by things that happen to them while growing up, sometimes experiences as an adult.
• Maybe you want to explore your feelings, thoughts, reactions to other people, or make sense of their behaviour towards you.
• You might have a specific concern, or sometimes things don’t feel right in general.
• For some it is just a sense that something is wrong, missing, or, …isn’t there more to life?
• People often seek help when in distress but counselling isn’t just for the unwell! It can help individuals to live a more meaningful life & flourish.
If any of this resonates for you then please explore my website and contact me to see how counselling with me might help.
Counselling has helped people with a range of concerns:
· Anxiety & General Anxiety Disorder
· Relationship issues
· Work stress
· Adverse experiences in childhood
· Adult trauma
· Bereavement and loss
· Adjustment to change/transition
· Enduring mental health distress
· Autism spectrum concerns.
About my approach:
• I offer face to face counselling for individuals
• I offer short-term and open-ended time-frames
• I offer weekly appointments, generally on the same day & time each week. Occasionally I recommend a more frequent meeting arrangement if there is clinical reason
• I offer weekday daytime, evening and Saturday appointments. Appointment availability will vary depending on the location of our meeting.
• At a first meeting we would normally discuss your concern(s), some background details, practical arrangements for our meeting, give you chance to ask me any questions, and, importantly, try to work out whether we are a good match to work together to work on what is concerning you. Together we will agree how to proceed thereafter.
• I seek to create a welcoming, safe, non-judgemental, and confidential space for people to explore and reflect on thoughts, feelings, and behaviours about whatever is the concern.
• In terms of my approach; I integrate ideas and strategies from a number of psychological approaches e.g. humanistic, psychodynamic and analytic, CBT, plus others. I also draw on latest developments from the research literature and neuroscience.
• Forming these into a client centred, philosophically coherent approach aimed towards a richer & more authentic way of living.
• With the emphasis on the client-counsellor relationship at the heart of the therapy.
• I am an experienced and qualified counsellor, assessor and tutor. Presently I work as a counsellor in private practice, I counsel for a number of organisations, and I work in the mental health field in education.
• I am passionate about helping individuals in distress while respecting their difference. And see both counselling and education as empowering people to live more authentic, richer, & more meaningful lives, by bringing a deeper psychological understanding to our experiences and relationships.
• Before training as a counsellor I had a career in industry and in the health & social care sector.
• When not counselling, or involved with my other work, I like to divide my time between family & friends, being, especially in the out-doors, and my music interests.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have practised in a number of organisations:
• I have worked in three different general counselling services, each in very different and diverse communities. Between them I have worked to short, medium & long term goals. In total this is >10yrs experience.
• I have over 8yrs experience providing counselling services to the NHS at Primary Care level.
• Over 4yrs in private practice.
• I have also provided counselling in an NHS Staff service.
• Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy by Professional Studies – Metanoia Institute/Middlesex University.
– I have already completed 5yrs of this training & am presently on a study break before returning to complete the final stage.
• BSc (Hons) Degree in Psychology with Philosophy.
• British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
- – registered member.
• The British Psychological Society.
- – graduate member.
- – division of Counselling Psychology (in training member).
As part of my continuing professional development I regularly attend workshops & seminars relevant to the field.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
• I charge £45 for a 50 minute appointment
• At present I am only able to accept payment by;
• I do have to charge for missed sessions or sessions cancelled at short notice (<24hrs). If I am able to make use of the appointment for someone else then the fee is waived.
• I offer a small number of reduced price appointments each week for those in hardship. Please ask about concessionary places.
• I am based in comfortable consulting rooms in the DE15 area of Burton-on-Trent.
• My rooms are not far from Burton town centre.
• My rooms have wheel chair access. If you require this please discuss this with me in advance of any booking.
• My professional registrations are with the BACP & BPS. I subscribe to the codes of ethics of my professional member organisations.
• I hold professional indemnity & public liability insurance.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am unable to answer my phone/emails while working. Please leave a message or email me and I will respond as soon as I am able. Usually this will be on the same day you leave the message.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|