Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
I want to help you to "Understand, heal & grow" _________________________________________________
Do you want to feel better?
- Understand yourself better? How you feel, what you need and perhaps why you find yourself caught in familiar patterns of behaving or relating to others?
- Do you long to overcome obstacles, habits and even addictions so that you can live, appreciate and enjoy your life more fully?
- To more fully know, accept and value yourself, being in touch with how you feel, trusting yourself and owning who you are unapologetically (both in your strengths, qualities and in your human limitations and imperfections)?
- To explore and find peace with your identity - who you are and how you fit in the world.
- Feel more at ease and with a greater sense of freedom, meaning and purpose in your life?
- ...to make and sustain more satisfying and authentic connections and relationships with other people in your life? (your partner, your children, your friends or family?)
The Counselling Process: Understand | Heal | Grow
I hope to offer you an opportunity to explore your concerns in an atmosphere of trust and support with a caring professional with the right training and experience to hold space for you and facilitate you in exploring and resolving your struggles, find your own answers and a positive way forward.
Together, as you get things off your chest (sometimes for the first time!) and take stock of your experiences and how you feel, we can begin to support you to understand, heal and grow…
- to understand is to bring an open, kind curiosity to what is going on for you, within you and the struggles you are facing so that you can come to better understand yourself, your patterns and the reasons you feel and act the way that you do. Together, we can learn from your experiences and gain deeper insight, giving you the choice and power to make the changes you want to whilst accepting that which lies outside of your control.
- to heal is to work together to bring compassion, empathy and acceptance to the "unfaced and unfelt" parts of ourselves that lie beneath our struggles the parts of ourselves we reject and lie in our shadow... the psychological wounds or scars that we all pick up as part of being human. Part of the healing process is building a healthier relationship with yourself, your feelings and experiences, re-connecting with your inherent wholeness, worth and value.
- Healing, for me, also includes including and honouring a person's difficulties and so-called 'negative feelings', bringing a kind curiosity to them and seeking to learn from them rather than treating them like symptoms, attempting to remove them or to necessarily 'get rid of' them as some other approaches might, but exploring the wisdom and intelligence that lies beneath our sadness, our anxiety, our anger....
What might be regarded as "symptoms" of our suffering might be pointing toward something within ourselves that perhaps we have forgotten or abandoned, some need we are denying, some way in which we are not living authentically. This offers the possibility to become more consciously aware of what is calling for our attention and to integrate parts of ourselves that perhaps were needed to be 'put away' in order to survive or feel loved and accepted at an earlier stage of life (or simply living in a society that isn't conducive to our wellbeing) and is now yearning for release and expression. Often a feeling that we are not living or being the way we truly want to be in the world can arise as various "symptoms" such as depression and anxiety.
- to grow is to make empowering, positive, life-changing and authentic choices that move you in the direction of your goals and the life you wish to create for yourself, moving from a place of stuckness, confusion and inner conflict to a place of clarity, authenticity and wholeness. Working together to remove the obstacles to growth, we can help you to re-connect with your core values, let go of old habits (and addictions) that may no longer serve you and become the truest version of yourself, living the life you wish to live - a life that is connected, meaningful, fulfilling and authentic.
“The purpose of psychotherapy is to set people free” (Rollo May)
In short, working together, we can discover who you are, how you fit in the world and how you want to spend your precious time on this earth.
I am a real, genuine and down-to-earth human being with my own lived experience of life's struggles. I understand how difficult it may feel to consider exploring your feelings and experiences with a stranger and can assure you that if you choose to work with me, I will walk your path with you with the greatest care, heartfelt compassion, understanding and importantly, at your own pace.
I would love to hear from you if you are ready to take the first steps towards positive change.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
I've been there too
Life can feel hard sometimes, and it can be a struggle to cope. The pressures on us can feel overwhelming and leave us feeling stuck. I know what that feels like.
I'm a real person, like you who has struggled with dark periods in my own life. At points in my own life, I've struggled with depression, anxiety and addictions, as well as with my weight and relationship with food and my body. I've struggled with my identity as a mixed-race man, always feeling 'different', longing to belong. I've struggled with a lack of self-worth and with existential questions - wondering, 'what is the point?' I've been through divorce and at points in my life lost everything I had been building and had to start again. I don't know where I would be without the help of therapy and the journey of personal growth that it has facilitated.
It gives me a great sense of satisfaction and gratitude to be able to help you to facilitate your own journey of healing and growth, to walk alongside you as a compassionate companion and guide on your journey. That's why I became a therapist.
My purpose is to support you in creating a life that feels fulfilling and authentic; to help you awaken to your potential so you can experience a life in which you feel good, connected and alive.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Why work with Me?
I strive to offer you a powerful and potent experience of deepest respect, empathy and trust, to empower you to make the changes that you wish to make.
- My clients, friends and former colleagues tell me that I have a naturally calm, grounded, gentle, compassionate and 'in the moment' presence that helps them to feel safe, valued, cared for, heard and understood, that I embody the person centred way of being (acceptance, empathy and genuineness). I have been told that I have a way of getting to the heart of things, to what really matters... and that I am courageous and honest in my realness, honesty and transparency with my clients.
I have a non-judgemental, understanding and down-to-earth approach which is born of my own lived-experience of what it is like to go through dark and difficult times, as well as 15 years of professional experience working with individuals and groups in the criminal justice, addiction and mental health fields before moving into private practice. I also teach Counselling at a local F.E college which I feel enriches my practice as a counsellor.
- With me, counselling is a natural conversation with a caring, understanding and encouraging person who can help you to process your feelings, get a fresh perspective on your situation and make the changes you wish to make in your life.
There are no props or flipcharts, no worksheets or diagrams and I don't tell you how to think or what to do. We simply sit opposite each other in comfortable chairs and talk about whatever is going on for you in a natural, engaged and honest way. Nor am I a passive, 'nodding dog' therapist - I work in a way that is active and engaged, questioning, challenging you and offering you feedback.
I am also flexible, creative and open-minded in the way I work, thinking outside of the box.
Whilst the traditional therapy room remains the best choice for many, you might want to work with me outside whilst enjoying the natural environment in 'Walk & Talk' therapy (though 'Walk & Talk' can also mean less walking and more sitting in a quiet, private space in nature to talk).
Or we have the option of working together via Zoom or even via Email.
Home Visits may also be available on request in certain circumstances if you live nearby and my schedule allows it.
I even offer Unlimited Messaging Therapy where you can pay a weekly subscription to have regular contact via message - write whenever you want and I will respond regularly. This is of course an entirely different experience to traditional therapy, but can be a worthwhile source of support for some people.
I offer one-day and multi-day intensives and retreats for individuals, couples and groups looking for more depth and non-traditional approaches to their process. I collaborate with clients to craft experiences to mobilise depth in ways meaningful to them. Intensives often involve time in nature, breathwork, meditation, sharing circles, or personalised ceremony.
Contact me to discuss which of these various options is the best fit for you and your circumstances.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
I remember how daunting it can be to take the first steps, to send that first email or pick up the phone. I want you to know that I get it, and will make every effort to make it as easy and stress-free as possible for you to get in touch and begin your therapy.
I genuinely admire and respect anyone brave enough to start the inner work of counselling and psychotherapy.
You can contact me in complete confidence and ask me any questions via a free telephone or Zoom consultation or you might prefer to exchange some emails with me to discuss your precise needs.
I welcome enquiries so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask and, after chatting or exchanging emails, there is no obligation to book a session if you don't feel ready, or you don't think we are a good fit.
I respond to all inquiries promptly - If you send me an email, a text or leave me a voicemail I will usually get back to you within 24 hours, often much sooner.
I am deeply committed to working in an inclusive, intersectional, trauma-informed, anti-racist and anti-oppressive way to create a safe space for whoever wishes to work with me, inclusive and respectful of all ethnicities, cultures, classes, faith backgrounds, sexes, ages, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities.
I support a non-diagnostic, non-pathologising, decolonising, person-centred and holistic approach to 'mental health' and emotional distress. I do not view you or work with you from a bio-medical, psychiatric perspective. I work with you as a nuanced, complex, beautiful, feeling and hurting human being, not as a label, disorder or list of symptoms.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a qualified therapeutic counsellor with 15 years experience of supporting people to make and sustain positive changes in their lives in the criminal justice, addiction recovery and mental health fields as well as in private practice (9 of those years practicing as a qualified Counsellor).
- I am a Counselling Tutor / Lecturer at the City of Liverpool College, teaching Person-Centred and Experiential Therapy. I find that teaching inspires, refreshes and reinvigorates my counselling work with clients. I am also passionate about training the counsellors of tomorrow in a human, relational approach to therapy (to counter the threat posed by the brief, symptom-oriented, superficial, and insubstantial approaches to therapy that are dominant).
- I receive regular Clinical Supervision with a very experienced Supervisor to ensure the quality and ethical standards of my practice.
- I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (www.bacp.co.uk). This means that my qualifications are professionally recognised, vetted and that they work within a strict code of ethics and framework of professional standards.
- I am a member of the BAATN, The Black, African and Asian Therapy Network (www.baatn.org.uk), home of the largest community of therapists of Black, African, South Asian and Caribbean Hertiage in the UK.
- I am a trained Men's Work Facilitator and a member of both the Sacred Sons and the UNcivilized Nation.
- I am a community activist in the L8 and Liverpool Black Community - I am on the board of Trustees of the Caribbean Community Centre and am an active member of Liverpool Black Men's Group.
I have considerable experience working with a wide range of emotional needs and issues and enjoy working with a diverse range of clients, both male and female, at all stages of life.
However, I have a special interest and significant experience in the following areas:
- Anxiety and Depression
- Existential & spiritual issues (such as the search for meaning, purpose, exploring how best to live and die, exploring spirituality)
- Identity issues - particularly mixed race / dual heritage individuals and associated issues relating to identity, belonging, cultural and spiritual disconnection, ancestral connection and family tree / genealogy.
- Addiction recovery (drugs / alcohol, food / eating, gambling, sex, porn, co-dependency, technology)
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Men's Work and Masculinity (including fatherhood)
- Group Therapy / Process Groups / Encounter Groups
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- 'Walk & Talk' and Outdoor Therapy (Eco-therapy / nature therapy)
- Group Therapy, Process Groups and Encounter Groups
- Existential and Spiritual issues
- Identity (especially Mixed Race / Dual Heritage and associated issues relatingto belonging, cultural disconnection, ancestral connection and family tree / genealogy).
- Men's Work, masculinity, fatherhood,
- Parenthood - new parents, those struggling with parenting, separated and single parenting, co-parenting and Gentle Parenting / Attachment Parenting
- Exploring other dietary issues and choices and relationship with food, including overeating, obesity and body image
- Race, racism, colourism and racial discrimination
- Buddhist inspired psychotherapy / Counselling for Buddhist practitioners
- Therapeutic Ritual and Ceremony
- Plant Medicine Integration, Psychedelic-assisted Therapy and micro-dosing (please note, I do not provide psychedelic substances to clients but am open to working alongside clients on this journey)
- Person Centred approaches to addiction recovery (including non-disease model alternatives to the 12 Step approach though I also welcome clients involved in 12 Step programmes and have a good understanding of these programmes / fellowships due to my experience in the addition recovery field)
- Mindfulness and secular meditation Groups
- Holistic Therapies, Relaxation methods and techniques including Reiki and guided meditation.
£40.00 - £80.00
Free initial telephone or online session
Concessions offered for
An initial obligation-free telephone or Zoom / Skype consultation (approx 15-20 minutes) is free of charge, as is an exchange of emails to explore your needs.
Counselling & Psychotherapy (£60 for 60 minutes, or £50 if block booked. £90 for 90 minutes)
Couples Counselling or Family Therapy (£75 for 60 minutes or £60 if block booked, £110 for 90 minutes)
Intensive Healing & Transformation Programme (weekly therapy / coaching call, guided meditation recordings, journal prompts, written assignments, regular check-ins and instant message support between sessions) £400 per month
Unlimited Messaging Therapy - £60 per week
Email Counselling - £25 (per weekly email)
Intensive or Retreat - contact me to discuss your individual requirements
Call or Text us now on: 07305746740
When I work
Currently taking on new clients. No waiting list. As many sessions as you want or need. Some evening and weekend appointments available on request.
I practice Counselling from a humanistic, Person-Centred and experiential foundation, underpinned by a relational, somatic and existential frame of reference.
My humanistic, Person-Centred foundation has imbued in me a deep respect and trust in the autonomy, uniqueness, and inner resources of each individual.
The person-centred approach, properly understood, is a radical, principled and human approach that is 'heretical to the psychiatric understanding of mental illness. It's theory of mental distress is based on internalised oppression and the effect of person centred therapy is to reduce the power that others have had over clients and thus increase their own personal power or "power from within" (Gillian Proctor).
This approach is at the heart of all I do.
My aim is to empower each person to realise their full potential - becoming more in tune with and more acceptiong and trusting of their own direct experience or felt-sense; using these feelings and needs as a guide for living authentically.
I truly believe that we each possess within ourselves everything that we need to live full, fulfilling and satisfying lives... and that, beyond whatever difficulties we may be experiencing right now, there is an underlying state of wholeness (or health / wellbeing), that is available to all of us.
Sometimes we just need a gentle, caring companion and guide to help us to see our own potential and find our way from inner conflict and confusion to clarity, wholeness and authenticity.
I am often moved by the courage and resilience of the human spirit, and our ability to overcome adversity. I work from a perspective that recognises that everyone has the potential to heal, grow and flourish, given the right conditions for growth; that there is a natural capacity within all of us to grow, which is nurtured when we are truly heard, understood and accepted as we are.
I aim to offer you these conditions in your therapeutic relationship
- a non-judgemental, unconditional warmth, caring, prizing and radical acceptance and embracing (of all parts of you)
- a sincere striving to understand what it is like to be you in a deeply attuned way, to see the world through your eyes and validate your feelings, needs, experience and sense of self...
- and a radical realness, genuineness, honesty and humanness in our relationship, striving to be my whole, real self with you so that we can have a genuine encounter.
This relationship allows you a safe space for exploration and healing.
"It is the relationship that heals" (Irvin Yalom)
I do not believe it is beneficial for you for me to hide behind a professional facade or be a disengaged 'suit behind a desk'. Instead, I hope to be able to meet you at relational depth, that is, to form a meaningful connection with you and an authentic encounter between two human beings that supports your growth and healing.
Therapy at its best invites "a profound contact" in which both client and therapist are "both fully real" with each other (Mick Cooper). I, therefore, strive to be both fully present and fully human with my clients, to enable you to feel fully seen, understood and cared for.
Experiential and Somatic approach
I embrace the power of experiential, expressive, and somatic approaches to inner work. I have come to trust that the body is a vital resource and that working with 'felt sense' in the body in the here and now can go much deeper than working at the level of thinking. It is my belief and experience that truly feeling, experiencing and expressing our emotions promotes deep cathartic release, processing and healing.
Whilst holding space for you, I strive to be fully present and 'in the moment' as a form of deeply attentive, mindful relating. "A therapists’ presence provides an invitation to the client to feel met, understood, and safe which allows movement towards natural wholeness". (Shari Gellar)
I believe that my Zen practice (I am a daily meditator) enhances my ability to offer present-moment, compassionate awareness and therapeutic presence when working with my clients, as well as offering me a existential, psycho-spiritual perspective for those clients who are exploring their spirituality or existential concerns.
Existential Frame of Reference
Inspired by the work of Irvin Yalom, Rollo May and James Bugental, as well as my study of eastern philosophy, Zen Buddhism and traditional African and Irish spirituality, my approach to counselling is underpinned by an existential frame of reference that addresses the 'great matter of life and death'.
It is Yalom's "...primary assumption...that basic anxiety emerges from a person's endeavours, conscious and unconscious, to cope with the harsh facts of life, the 'givens' of existence."
- How do we come to terms with death and impermanence?
- How do we find a sense of meaning and purpose in our lives?
- How do we come to terms with the responsibility of our freedom to make our own choices and with the limits imposed by life on our choices?
- How do we make peace with what we can and cannot control?
As such, I strive to practice therapy in a way that is aware of and sensitive to the existential dilemmas that lurk beneath our everyday concerns. I believe exploring such issues in the context of therapy can be illuminating and empowering.
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile. I hope you have found it helpful. If we don’t end up working together, I sincerely hope you find the therapist that is right for you and wish you well on your journey.