Alan Crawford MBACP (Reg) | Understand, Heal, Grow | Addictions | Walk & Talk |
I want to help you to "Understand, heal, grow"
Do you want to feel better and do better in your life?
- Feel more at ease and with a greater sense of freedom, meaning and purpose?
- Do you long to overcome obstacles, habits and addictions so that you can live, appreciate and enjoy your life more fully?
- Do you want to fill that void?
- ...to make and sustain more satisfying connections and relationships with other people in your life? (your partner, your children, your friend or family?)
The Counselling Process: Understand | Heal | Grow
I hope to offer you an opportunity to explore your concerns in an atmosphere of trust and support with a caring professional with the right training and experience to hold space for you and facilitate you in exploring and resolving your struggles, find your own answers and way forward.
Together, as you get things off your chest (sometimes for the first time!) and take stock of your experiences and how you feel, we can begin to support you to understand, heal and grow…
- to understand is to bring an open, kind curiosity to what is going on for you and the struggles you are facing so that you can come to better understand yourself, your patterns and the reasons you feel and act the way that you do. Together, we can learn from your experiences and gain deeper insight, giving you the choice and power to make the changes you want to.
- to heal is to work together to bring compassion, empathy and acceptance to the "unfaced and unfelt" parts of ourselves that lie beneath our struggles... the psychological wounds or scars that are picked up as part of being human. Part of the healing process is building a healthier relationship with yourself and your experiences, re-connecting with your inherent wholeness and worth.
- to grow is to make empowering, positive, life-changing choices that move you in the direction of your goals and the life you wish to create for yourself, moving from a place of stuckness, confusion and inner conflict to a place of clarity, authenticity and wholeness. Working together to remove the obstacles to growth, we can help you to re-connect with your core values, let go of old habits (and addictions) and become the best, truest version of yourself, living the life you wish to live - a life that is connected, meaningful, fulfilling and authentic.
“The purpose of psychotherapy is to set people free” (Rollo May)
In short, working together, we can discover who you are and how you want to spend your time on this earth.
I am a real, genuine and down to earth human being with my own lived experience of life's struggles. I understand how difficult it may feel to consider exploring your feelings and experiences with a stranger and can assure you that if you choose to work with me, I will walk your path with you with the greatest care, heartfelt compassion, understanding and importantly, at your own pace.
I would love to hear from you if you are ready to take the first steps towards positive change.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
I've been there too
Life can feel hard sometimes, and it can be a struggle to cope. The pressures on us can feel overwhelming and leave us feeling stuck. I know what that feels like.
I'm a real person, like you who has struggled with dark periods in my own life, with depression, anxiety, addictions, a lack of self-worth and wondering, 'what is the point? I don't know where I would be without the help of therapy and the journey of personal growth that it facilitated.
It gives me a great sense of satisfaction and gratitude to be able to help you to facilitate your own journey of healing and growth, to walk alongside you as a compassionate companion and guide on your journey. That's why I became a therapist.
My purpose is to support you in creating a life that feels fulfilling and authentic; to help you awaken to your potential so you can experience a life in which you feel good, connected and alive.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Why work with Alan?
I strive to offer you a powerful and potent experience of deepest respect, empathy and trust, to empower you to make the changes that you wish to make.
- My clients, friends and colleagues tell us that I have a naturally calm, gentle, compassionate and 'in the moment' presence that helps them to feel safe, valued, cared for, heard and understood. I have been told that I have a way of getting to the heart of things, to what really matters.
I have a non-judgemental, understanding and down-to-earth approach which is born of my own lived-experience of what it is like to go through dark and difficult times, as well as over 13 years professional experience working with individuals and groups in the criminal justice, addiction and mental health fields before moving into private practice.
- With me, counselling is a natural conversation with a caring, understanding and encouraging person who can help you to process your feelings, get a fresh perspective on your situation and make the changes you wish to make in your life.
There are no props or flipcharts and I don't tell you how to think or what to do. We simply sit opposite each other in comfortable chairs and talk about whatever is going on for you in a natural, engaged and honest way. Nor am I a passive, 'nodding dog' therapist - I work in a way that is active and engaged, questioning, challenging you and offering you feedback.
I am also flexible, creative and open-minded in the way I work, thinking outside of the box (but within the guidelines!).
Whilst the traditional therapy room remains the best choice for many, you might want to work with me outside whilst enjoying the natural environment in 'Walk & Talk' therapy.
Or we have the option of working together via Skype or Email.
Home Visits may also be available on request in certain circumstances.
I even offer Unlimited Messaging Therapy where you can pay a weekly subscription to have regular contact via message - write whenever you want and I will respond regularly.
Contact me to discuss which of these various options is the best fit for you and your circumstances.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
I remember how daunting it can be to take the first steps, to send that first email or pick up the phone. I want you to know that I get it, and will make every effort to make it as easy and stress-free as possible for you to get in touch and begin your therapy.
I genuinely admire and respect anyone brave enough to start the inner work of counselling and psychotherapy.
You can contact me in complete confidence and ask me any questions via a free telephone consultation or you might prefer to exchange some emails with me to discuss your precise needs.
I welcome enquiries so if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask and, after chatting or exchanging emails, there is no obligation to book a session if you don't feel ready, or you don't think we are a good fit.
I respond to all inquiries promptly - If you send me an email, a text or leave me a voicemail I will usually get back to you within 24 hours, often much sooner.
I welcome people from all social identities, including all ethnicities, classes, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, abilities, faith backgrounds and cultures. I am deeply committed to working in an inclusive, anti-discriminatory and non-oppressive way to create a safe space for whoever wishes to work with me.
I support a non-pathologizing, person-centred and holistic approach to 'mental health' and emotional distress.
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a qualified therapeutic counsellor with over 13 years’ experience of supporting people to make and sustain positive changes in their lives in the criminal justice, addiction recovery and mental health fields as well as in private practice.
- I receive regular Clinical Supervision with a very experienced Supervisor to ensure the quality and ethical standards of my practice.
- I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (www.bacp.co.uk). This means that my qualifications are professionally recognised and that they work within a strict code of ethics and framework of professional standards.
I have considerable experience working with a wide range of emotional needs and issues and enjoy working with a diverse range of clients, both male and female, at all stages of life.
However, I have a special interest and significant experience in the following areas:
- Addiction recovery
- Existential & spiritual issues (such as the search for meaning, purpose and identity, exploring how best to live and die)
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Group Therapy / Process Groups / Encounter Groups
Call or Text me now: 07305746740
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- 'Walk & Talk' / Eco-therapy / nature therapy (outdoors)
- Group Therapy, Process Groups and Encounter Groups
- Existential and Spiritual issues
- Parenthood / new parents / Gentle Parenting / Attachment Parenting
- Exploring other dietary issues and choices and relationship with food, including overeating
- Gender and sexual diversity, LGBTQ issues
- Race, racism and racial discrimination
- Buddhist inspired psychotherapy / Counselling for Buddhist practitioners
- Person Centred approaches to addiction recovery (including alternatives to the 12 Step approach)
- Mindfulness and secular meditation Groups
- Holistic Therapies, Relaxation methods and techniques including Reiki
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
Photos & videos
An initial obligation-free telephone or Skype consultation (approx 15-20 minutes) is free of charge, as is an exchange of emails to explore your needs.
I operate a sliding scale fee structure ranging from £25 to £60. Standard fees are:
£40 for Counselling & Psychotherapy (face to face, Skype or Walk & Talk, 60 minutes. £60 for 90 minutes)
£60 for Couples Counselling or Family Therapy (60 minutes, £80 for 90 minutes)
£40 per week (via standing order) for Unlimited Messaging Therapy
£15 for Email counselling (per weekly email)
I hope that my fees are fair, competitive and affordable for most people, whilst being respectful to my own time, experience and training.
However, if you are struggling financially, you can enquire about potential concessions and low-cost psychotherapy. I believe that quality counselling and psychotherapy should be accessible to all that need it. It may be possible for you to have a concession if you are on a low income, currently out of work or a student, providing I currently have low fee spaces available at the time. Please discuss this with me when booking your appointment.
Call or Text us now on: 07305746740
I practice Counselling from a humanistic, Person-Centred foundation, underpinned by an interpersonal and existential frame of reference and with an emphasis on therapeutic presence and relational depth.
My humanistic, Person-Centred foundation has imbued in me a deep respect and trust in the autonomy, uniqueness, and inner resources of each individual. This approach is at the heart of all I do.
My aim is to help each person achieve his or her goals and to realise their full potential - to become the person he or she wants to be.
I truly believe that we each possess within ourselves everything that we need to live full, fulfilling and satisfying lives... and that, beyond whatever difficulties we may be experiencing right now, there is an underlying state of wholeness (or health / wellbeing), that is potentially available to all of us.
Sometimes we just need a gentle, caring companion and guide to help us to see our own potential and find our way from inner conflict and confusion to clarity, wholeness and authenticity.
I am often moved by the courage and resilience of the human spirit, and our ability to overcome adversity. I work from a perspective which recognises that everyone has the potential to heal, grow and flourish, given the right conditions for growth; that there is a natural capacity within all of us to grow, which is nurtured when we are truly heard, understood and accepted as we are.
I aim to offer you these conditions in your therapeutic relationship - non-judgemental, unconditional acceptance and compassionate caring, empathic understanding and genuineness. This relationship allows you a safe space for exploration and healing.
"It is the relationship that heals" (Irvin Yalom)
I do not believe it is beneficial for you for me to hide behind a professional facade or be a disengaged 'suit behind a desk'. Instead, I hope to be able to meet you at relational depth, that is, to form a meaningful connection with you and an authentic encounter between two human beings that supports your growth and healing.
Therapy at its best invites "a profound contact" in which both client and therapist are "both fully real" with each other (Mick Cooper). I, therefore, strive to be both fully present and fully human with my clients, to enable you to feel fully seen, understood and cared for.
I strive to be fully present and 'in the moment' with my clients as a form of mindful relating. "A therapists’ presence provides an invitation to the client to feel met, understood, and safe which allows movement towards natural wholeness". (Shari Gellar)
I believe that my Zen practice (I am a daily meditator) enhances my ability to offer present-moment, compassionate awareness and therapeutic presence when working with my clients, as well as offering me a existential, psycho-spiritual perspective for those clients who are exploring their spirituality.
Existential Frame of Reference
Inspired by the work of Irvin Yalom, Rollo May and James Bugental, as well as my study of eastern philosphy and Zen Buddhism, my approach to counselling is underpinned by an existential frame of reference that addresses the 'great matter of life and death'. It is Yalom's "...primary assumption...that basic anxiety emerges from a person's endeavours, conscious and unconscious, to cope with the harsh facts of life, the 'givens' of existence."
How do we come to terms with death and impermanence?
How do we find a sense of meaning and purpose in our lives?
How do we come to terms with the responsibility of our freedom to make our own choices and with the limits imposed by life on our choices?
How do we make peace with what we can and cannot control?
As such, I strive to practice therapy in a way that is aware of and sensitive to the existential dilemmas that lurk beneath our everyday concerns. I believe exploring such issues in the context of therapy can be illuminating and empowering.
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile. I hope you have found it helpful. If we don’t end up working together, I sincerely hope you find the therapist that is right for you and wish you well on your journey.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Telephone and online (Skype / Whatsapp Video / Facetime / Google Hangouts) Counselling is available for those who find it difficult to travel or leave their home for any reason.
Currently taking on new clients. No waiting list. As many sessions as you want or need. Some evening and weekend appointments available on request.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|