Vicky Cuming BACP Accred Counsellor, EMDR Practitioner, Experiential Facilitator
Previously a humanitarian aid worker, my interest in human resilience in extreme situations led me to retrain as a psychological therapist. Since then I have worked in the NHS offering one-to-one therapy and running groups based on a cognitive-behavioural model. I offer Counselling and EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) in private practice.
The core counselling model that I use is a person-centred relational model which means that I will offer you an accepting, warm and honest relationship within which you can see more of yourself and understand how you relate to others and yourself. We will then use that broader understanding to think about what changes you would like to make in your life in order that you can feel better.
I am a trained EMDR practitioner and integrate it into my work with people who have been affected by a disturbing event in the past. Symptoms can include panic,anxiety, flashbacks and avoidance of 'reminder situations' EMDR is the recommended treatment for post traumatic stress by National Institute of Clinical Excellence in the UK and the World Health Organisation.
Contact me to arrange a free telephone consultation so that you can decide if therapy would be helpful for you. If I cannot help you I can refer you on to someone who can.
I work with people who are experiencing
- Depression, anger, anxiety, apathy or panic.
- Problems which go back to childhood and still cause difficulties now. Experience of being abused, including physical, sexual, emotional abuse or neglect.
- Trauma or a feeling of panic following a disturbing event as the result of an accident, sexual/violent attack, traumatic loss, traumatic medical event, or any other shock.
- Relationship problems
- Sexual difficulties
- a change or loss including bereavement, sudden or long-term illness or loss of a role in life.
- Work stress or other employment issues (such as bullying or overworking).
What I offer as a therapist
- I will be warm, open and honest with you about the way that therapy works and about how we are working together.
- I offer short term or long term work.
- I have worked with children and parents in various settings and understand the stresses of parenting.
- I have a broad professional experience working in the NHS, with voluntary organisations and also for other statutory bodies.
- I believe in the importance of a connection with self, with others and with the environment in order to feel well. I run wild swimming workshops with the aim of exploring these relationships and building resilience.
- I have particular experience of what it is like to work overseas in Humanitarian Aid and Emergency situations and in war-zones and the affect this can have on individuals.
Training, qualifications & experience
BSc joint Hons Philosophy/Economics - Bristol University 1992
NCFE 1,2 and 3 Counselling Skills and Theory – City College 2006
PG Dip in Person-Centred Counselling - Brighton University 2009
CBT Group Facilitator Training – Sussex Community NHS Trust 2012
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing - Richman EMDR Training 2015
Integrating the Cognitive Behavioural and the Person-Centred Approach
Cognitive Behavioural Approach to Perfectionism
Cognitive Behavioural Approach to attachment
Cognitive Behavioural Approach to working with complicated grief
Secondary affects of trauma training
Mindfulness in Primary Care
HIV and therapeutic interventions
Working with sexual abuse
The Erotic Transference and Countertransference
Working with clients with life-limiting illness and in palliative care
The menopause Transition
Group Process Skills
Working with Groups
When things go wrong in groups
An introduction to the ACT approach
Using a short term model of therapy
7 years experience working in NHS settings with people who are suffering from depression, anxiety, lethargy, relationship problems, loneliness, disconnection, sexual problems.
Aid worker for Oxfam
Facilitator of large scale experiential corporate training events - Oxfam.
Group facilitator for peri-natal groups for teenage parents.
Working therapeutically with teenage parents and with people affected by disability and sexual violence.
Workshop facilitator - wild swimming.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Humanitarian aid workers
Counselling and EMDR: £55 for a 50 minute session
Limited number of reduced rates for students and trainee therapists.
I have comfortable quiet rooms in Hove.
I follow the BACP code of ethics.
I have regular supervision and professional insurance for my work.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesday 8am - 8pm, Friday 8am - 3pm Tuesday evening 5pm - 8pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|