Sean Tierney (MBACP)
I am a qualified person-centred counsellor and Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Before re-training as a counsellor I worked in various paid and voluntary roles including:
- Alcohol Support
- Mental Health
- Youth Work
- Support Work
I have worked with clients aged 12-90 and have experienced counselling as a client in my own life, so I understand that taking that first step is sometimes challenging.
What I Offer
I offer both indoor and outdoor counselling sessions as well as telephone and online counselling and I am based in the Southside of Glasgow.
How I Work
Whether you are looking for short-term therapy or ongoing longer term therapy, I am open to both and we can work out together how this process might go.
My approach is pluralistic, meaning as a counsellor and client, we will work collaboratively and our sessions can be tailored to your specific needs or issues.
I will give you a space free of judgement or expectations, where you can work through and process any difficulties you are facing.
My primary focus is to gain an understanding about how you are experiencing life. This may include any problems or challenges you face, or anything else which may come up during our sessions. Our relationship and our therapy will be collaborative.
So whether you are experiencing;
- low moods
- generalised anxiety disorder
- feeling sad
- feeling stuck
- grief and loss
- low self esteem
- Or any other issues
I am confident that together we can work through things and get to a place of greater understanding and self-acceptance. As part of our work, I will try and help you see things from fresh perspectives and work towards your goals.
I am able to take on students for the duration of their course, if there's a requirement to undertake personal therapy. Having been a part-time student as recently as the summer of 2019, I believe I can offer student and trainee counsellors a place and space to work through any issues which may have arisen during their studies.
The outdoors and what they may mean to you is open to interpretation, but for my practice, I think of the outdoors as both a setting and tool for therapeutic change; together we would encounter the environment and feel how you relate to it. It may be that you love the outdoors, it may be that you don't like feeling confined indoors, it may simply be that you want to try something different - whatever your reasons for choosing to engage with counselling in an outdoor setting, we can work with this.
If you have any queries at all, I am more than happy to answer these for you - please get in touch.
Where I Work
I work from a quiet, calm counselling room in Battlefield on the Southside of Glasgow. There is ample on-street parking in the vicinity (some metered, some free); Mount Florida train station is within a few minutes walk and several major bus (5, 6, 34, 34a, 89 and 90) routes serve the bus stop outside of my practice.
I also have access to a counselling room in the city centre on occasion, so if this is more suitable, please let me know in your enquiry.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Higher National Certificate - Counselling
- Higher National Diploma - Counselling
- BACP - Certificate of Proficiency
- COSCA Supervision Certificate (Pending completion Autumn 2020)
- Post Graduate Certificate - Pluralistic Counselling
- Advanced Diploma in Life Coaching (Pending completion Autumn 2020)
- Challenging Communication
- Motivational Interviewing
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Goal setting
- Stress management
- Self esteem
- Male identity
- Counselling - £40 (face-to-face, telephone, Skype or Zoom)
- Outdoor Counselling - £40 (face-to-face, outdoors in a mutually agreed location)
- Counselling for those on low income/benefits, etc. - £35 (face-to-face, telephone, Skype or Zoom)
- I am happy to operate a sliding scale based on circumstances and affordability, contact me directly to discuss this.
- If you are unsure about counselling, or if we can work together, I am happy to offer a short (10-15 minutes) telephone or online consultation free of charge so I can help you answer any questions you might have, or if you would prefer to meet me face-to-face, I offer a 30 minute consultation for £20.
Concessions offered for
Outdoor Counselling FAQs
- Our outdoor counselling sessions would typically take place in Linn Park or Pollok Country Park, although other locations can be discussed and looked into.
- How long?
- Like my indoor counselling practice, sessions are typically 50 minutes in length, but there's flexibility in this and I am open to working together for longer sessions.