Sean Tierney (MBACP)
I am a qualified person-centred counsellor and Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Before re-training as a counsellor I worked in various paid and voluntary roles including; Advocacy, Alcohol Support, Mental Health, Youth Work and Support Work.
I have worked with clients from ages 12-90 and have experienced counselling as a client in my own life, so I understand that taking that first step is sometimes challenging.
What I Offer
I am offering both indoor and outdoor counselling sessions, as well as telephone and online counselling and am based in the City Centre and the Southside of Glasgow.
How I Work
My approach is pluralistic, meaning as a counsellor and client, we will work collaboratively and our sessions can be tailored to your specific needs or issues.
I will give you a space free of judgement or expectations, where you can work through and process any difficulties you are facing.
My primary focus is to gain an understanding about how you are experiencing life. This may include any problems or challenges you face, or anything else which may come up during our sessions. Our relationship and our therapy will be collaborative.
So whether you are experiencing;
- low moods
- generalised anxiety disorder
- feeling sad
- feeling stuck
- grief and loss
- low self esteem
- Or any other issues
We can work together with these feelings. I am confident that together we can work through things and get to a place of greater understanding and self-acceptance. As part of our work, I will try and help you see things from fresh perspectives and work towards your goals.
The outdoors and what they may mean to you is open to interpretation, but for my practice, I think of the outdoors as both a setting and tool for therapeutic change; we would spend time walking and talking, encountering the environment and feeling out how you relate to it. It may be that you love the outdoors, it may be that you don't like feeling confined indoors, it may simply be that you want to try something different - whatever your reasons for choosing to engage with counselling in an outdoor setting, we can work with this.
If you have any queries at all, I am more than happy to answer these for you - please get in touch!
Where I Work
I work from a quiet, calm counselling room in Battlefield on the Southside of Glasgow. There is ample on street parking in the vicinity (some metered, some free); Mount Florida train station is within a few minutes walk and several major bus (5, 6, 34, 34a, 89 and 90) routes serve the bus stop outside my practice.
I also have access to a counselling room in the city centre on occasion, so if this is more suitable, please let me know in your enquiry.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Higher National Certificate - Counselling
- Higher National Diploma - Counselling
- BACP - Certificate of Proficiency
- Post Graduate Certificate - Pluralistic Counselling
- Challenging Communication
- Motivational Interviewing
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Goal setting
- Stress management
- Self esteem
- Male identity
Photos & videos
- Counselling - £40 per 50 minute session, longer sessions can be arranged.
- Telephone/online - £30 per 50 minute session, longer sessions can be arranged.
- I am happy to operate a sliding scale based on circumstances and affordability, contact me directly to discuss this.
- If you are unsure about counselling, or if we can work together, I am happy to offer a short (10-15 minutes) telephone consultation free of charge so I can help you answer any questions you might have, or if you would prefer to meet me face-to-face, I offer a 30 minute consultation for £20.
Outdoor Counselling FAQs
- Our outdoor counselling sessions would typically take place in Linn Park or Pollok Country Park, although other locations can be discussed and looked into
- How long?
- Like my indoor counselling practice, sessions are typically 50 minutes in length, but there's flexibility in this and I am open to working together for longer sessions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday: 5pm-8pm Tuesday: 5pm-8pm Wednesday: 5pm-8pm Friday: 8am-8pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|