Sarah Hosken Counselling Psychologist - CBT - EMDR Practitioner
CBT Therapist; Registered Counselling Psychologist; Chartered Psychologist; Associate Fellow (BPS); Accredited EMDR Practitioner
- involved in mental health for over 20 years
- extensive experience of working with adults of all ages
- skilled at working with issues around anxiety, mood and trauma
- worked in the NHS in primary and secondary care
- led a crisis team for a national charity
- registered with The British Psychological Society and Health Professions Council
My aim is to provide a safe and facilitative environment to support my clients and to create a space where we can work together to achieve your full potential.
As a Counselling Psychologist, I have been trained to work with a broad range of models (CBT, EMDR, psychodynamic, person-centred, existential, humanistic). In practise, my experience ranges from working with clients in short term therapy to working with more deep rooted issues in longer term therapy. From this I have learnt that however many models and theories a therapist knows, as is evidenced by research, it is the relationship that sits at the very heart of the healing work.
For example, I have learnt the importance of communicating and exploring understandings of thoughts, feelings and behaviour in ways that are clear and meaningful to each person as a unique individual. Some clients want to work with purely the CBT model where they spend time exploring their issues from a here and now perspective, some want to focus more upon their future, whereas others may wish to spend more time exploring the meaning of what has happened to them in the past and how they can change.
Life does present us all with challenges at various times and change happens at different rates and in different ways for each of us. Yet, overall, I believe, I can help my clients move forward in a way that respects and supports their ability to make choices that are right for them at this time in their lives.
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
CBT theory explains how our thoughts influence our emotions, behaviour and body. Working with the CBT model involves exploring different ways of working with the above to regulate mood and behaviour.
CBT is recognised by the Government's NICE guidelines as the first line of intervention for most common psychological problems (e.g. anger, anxiety, bereavement, depression, eating disorders, panic attacks, PTSD). CBT aims to quickly identify problems and build up the skills to resolve them.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing)
EMDR is a recommended treatment (NICE 2005) for working with the distress caused by traumatic memories.
EMDR has also been used to work with a broader spectrum of issues ranging from anxiety (phobias, panic attacks etc.) to experiences such as grief, pain and depression.
Located directly off the A2, the office is a 10 min walk from Bexley train station and a 1 minute walk from local bus routes. There is a car park in Thanet Road and on road parking in Hertford Road (not between 10 & 11).
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & Professional Accreditation
Chartered Psychologist; Associate Fellow: British Psychological Society (BPS)
Registered Counselling Psychologist: Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Certified EMDR Practitioner: EMDR UK & Ireland
2012 Certified EMDR Practitioner
2005 Advanced Counselling Psychology (MSc)
2003 Counselling Psychology (MSc)
2000 Psychology & Counselling (BSc Hons)
1996 Certificate in Psychology
- Working with Mental Health Professionals
- Workplace issues e.g. return to work, communication, performance issues
- Crisis Team Leader
- CBT Therapist, Crisis Counsellor and Training Consultant
- Training therapists to work with anxiety and trauma
- Previously worked for the NHS in primary and secondary care
- 27 years experience as a voluntary worker
- Trustee for a mental health organisation, advisory role in a college
- Developing and delivering well-being programme for businesses and schools
Ongoing Training and Supervision
I have regular supervision in accordance with BPS guidelines. I am committed to ongoing training as part of my personal and professional development.
- Working with Chronic Trauma and Neglect
- Motivational Interviewing
- Mental Health Recovery Star
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- PTSD and Mental Health Workshop
- Hearing Voices
- Bipolar Workshop
- Mental Health First Aid Training
- Train the Trainer
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Fees start from £110 per 50 minute session.
I am registered with AXA/PPP, Aviva, Bupa & Cigna
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
9am - 5pm Monday - Wednesday. Closed for school holidays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|