Hi, my name is Michelle. I am a Person-centred Counsellor who uses CBT tools in my private practice, based in the Beaumaris Health and Wellbeing Centre located in Newport. I also work in and around the Telford and Shropshire area. For me, Counselling is about you being the expert on you, and what you need, and we would work together to help you find a more comfortable place to be. I see my role as walking alongside you, our relationship being built on honesty and authenticity, in a confidential manner, where we will develop a safe and non-judgemental environment. One in which we can openly discuss what is of most importance to you. Because, in my experience, feeling heard leads to deep and lasting change.
I am often told I have a youthful appearance, nevertheless, I have much in the way of life experience and personal struggles. Therefore, I can empathise with many of the difficulties of daily life and its strong demands; I have up close and personal experience of supporting children with mental health issues, providing end of life care and severe physical disabilities. As such, I am passionate about supporting others.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a background in the early education sector, where I have gained over a decade’s worth of experience, as the lead practitioner in planning, observing and monitoring children’s education. As a Counsellor, I have worked for several organisations over the last four years, offering my services to survivors of domestic violence, with people experiencing addictions, trauma, and grief and loss. Within these roles I have supported children, young people and adults with bereavement, addictions, depression, anxiety, and those who have experienced trauma.
I hold various qualifications:
- Level 6 BA (Hons) in Early Childhood Studies and Education Studies
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Level 4 Certificate in Counselling: Cognitive-Behavioural Theory
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Helping Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Skills
- Level 2 Awareness in Bereavement Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviour that Challenges
I have engaged in various continuing professional development:
- Working with Shame and Compulsivity
- Samaritans and Active Listening
- Sudden and Traumatic Death
- Infant Loss
- Awareness in Children and Young People’s Bereavement Care
- Approaches to Counselling Children and Young People
- Aquarius Frontline
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am an accredited provider for 'The Foundation for Infant Loss' supporting Mums and/or their partners who have miscarried, had a stillbirth or a neonatal loss. www.foundationforinfantloss.co.uk
I am available Monday & Thursday (930am - 4pm) & Friday (9.30am - 3pm) with evening sessions Monday & Tuesday (6pm - 9pm). Weekends are available on request.
I charge £40 per session. I offer a student rate at £30 per session.
I have a current Enhanced DBS Certificate to work with Adults, Children and Young People.
I am registered with the ICO and work to their practices to keep your personal data safe.
I practice under my own Professional Civil Liability insurance.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Both the venues I use have their own car parking facilities and are wheelchair friendly.
I am available Monday & Thursday (930am - 4pm), Friday (9.30am - 3pm) with evening sessions available (usually Monday & Tuesday), or by mutual arrangement. Weekends are available on request.
Types of client