Michele Ryan UKCP, MSc Systemic Psychotherapist
I am a qualified family psychotherapist and counsellor registered with the UKCP and AFT. I work part time as a family therapist in S-CAMHS and in my private practice from my home in Canton, Cardiff which has good parking and is on a main bus route.
As a trained systemic psychotherapist I offer family and relationship therapy whatever your age and in whatever relationships you are involved in. 'Systemic' therapy really means 'relational' as it emphasises the fact that people live in a world with others, not just inside their heads or bodies. I work with relationships, looking at patterns, communication and desired changes. Research has shown that Family Therapy is useful for children, young people and adults experiencing a wide range of difficulties and problems in their important relationships such as bereavement, divorce, relationship problems, eating disorders, gender issues, anxiety and depression and step parenting. It enables family members, couples and others who care about each other to understand each other’s experiences, views and needs and to build on strengths and make useful changes in their relationships and their lives.
As a counsellor I practice a collaborative, strengths-based therapeutic approach in which clients are treated with respect and compassion. Systemic and narrative therapy looks at which ideas are at work and whether they are useful or restrictive in some ways. My professional training and personal experiences allow me to offer a non-judgemental and safe environment, sensitive and intuitive insight, and the therapeutic skills that will help you move forward in your life. I have worked as a school counsellor and university counsellor so I am familiar with the issues that are particular to young people.
I understand that some of the issues clients bring to therapy may be deeply private, difficult to talk about, embarrassing, or painful. I have worked with people on many difficult issues and aim to provide a safe space for you to talk about your concerns.
I have completed training in EMI for trauma related issues and trained in mindfulness which can be helpful in dealing with stress, depression and anxiety. I can offer therapy for couples, individual adults and young people as well as families. The service I provide acknowledges the importance of diversity (cultural, racial, gender and sexual diversity). I see clients for varying numbers of sessions depending on the concerns and client preference. I also work as a supervisor of other counsellors and students.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I hold an MSc (distinction) in Systemic Psychotherapy from the Family Institute allowing me to practice as a family therapist.
- I hold a B.Sci Hons (first) degree in counselling from the Family Institute, University of South Wales.
- I am a registered member of UKCP, AFT and NCS.
- I worked as a Family Therapist with PACE London, an LGBT+ mental health charity
- l was a university counsellor and taught counselling skills to MSc genetic counselling students and in Centre for Lifelong Learning
- I am a volunteer counsellor and supervisor with Ty Elis and co-ordinate their Counselling Diploma.
- I've work with Health Assured (EAP) in my private practice - Cardiff Therapeutic Counselling.
Some courses I have attended;
- Mind in Body June 2017
- Attachment for Clinicians April 2017
- EMI (Eye Movement Integration Therapy) for the treatment of psychological trauma 2015
- Collaborative Practices Conference Norway 2014
- Open Dialogue Approach, London (6 days) 2014 2 days 2016
- Principles of Clinical Supervision and consultation practice. 6 days between October – December 2012.
- Winston’s Wish – Supporting bereaved children and young people 18th July 2012
- Workshop on Narrative Approaches to anorexia & bulimia. London 19-20 September 2011
- NHS/UCL. Eating disorders in the community conference. 13 July 2011
- Using sand worlds with children and young people. 26th September 2011
- BACP certificate of counselling competency.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a number of clients who are trans-gender, or are exploring their gendered identity.
Issues around the use of social media and on-line relationships
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
My fees are from £40 - £60 an hour depending on your circumstances but I am always willing to negotiate for those clients who are having difficulties.
Narrative Therapy is a strength-based, collaborative approach to dealing with problems in people’s lives. In Narrative Therapy you are NOT the problem...the problem is the problem and you are the expert on your life and your resources, beliefs and values are what you will return to in order to overcome your problems. I will collaborate with you to discover ways of facing the negative influence of problems in your life and reducing them to a manageable size leaving room to allow your preferred way of being to emerge.
Like Narrative Therapy, Solution-Oriented Therapy is also a strength-based, collaborative approach that sees the problem as the problem - not the person. The focus in this model of therapy is very much on solutions to problems. This means that focusing on future possibilities and solutions enhances change in people's lives. In Solution-Oriented Therapy, you, as the client, set goals and I work collaboratively with you to ensure the goals are do-able.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
most days and up to 7.30 in the evening and occasionally Saturday mornng
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I can offer supervision to trainees and students as well as qualified counsellors.