Dr Mat King Verified Professional Verified Professional
Verified Professional

Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.


About me

Maple Psychological Services has been based in Victoria for over 15 years and provides individuals and couples with effective, evidence-based and responsive service.

Myself and my colleagues all hold Consultant Psychologist grades within the NHS alongside teaching and training responsibilities.

Clinical experience is key when searching for a psychologist or therapist. All of the psychologists at Maple have over 15 years of experience working with a broad range of mental health difficulties including:

  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Panic attacks and phobias
  • Relationship and work stress
  • Substance misuse problems
  • Eating disorders
  • Personality disorders and co-morbid difficulties.

Training, qualifications & experience

I split my time between Maple, Consultant Psychologist at an NHS Specialist addictions Service in London and Associate Lecturer at the University of Surrey Doctoral Training Courses.

I obtained my first degree in Psychology and Human Biology (Bachelor of Science) from the University of Hertfordshire and a Practitioner’s Doctorate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Psychology from the University of Surrey. I have been awarded the title 'Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society' (AFBPsS). This is given by the BPS in recognition of several years' experience and contribution to the field of psychology.

I have extensive experience in working with people experiencing anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), depression and panic attacks. Having been the Lead Psychologist at a specialist NHS Eating Disorders Service, I have substantial knowledge of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia nervosa. Referrers and patients seek my clinical skills in the treatment of longstanding, chronic, difficulties where there are several key problem areas (comorbidity). Examples of this are eating disorders and addictions whereby the person has co-existing problems such as OCD or personality disorders. I have a special interest in working with people with personality disorders and has undertaken training in specialist evidence-based therapist such as Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), Metallisation Based Therapy (MBT), Schema Focussed Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).

Member organisations

Registered / Accredited

Registered / Accredited

Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.


Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.

They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.

Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.


Additional information

Fees are between £90 and £150.

When I work

Monday to Saturday 8am to 9pm.

Further information

Telephone calls and emails are replied to by one of the psychologists at Maple - not receptionists or administrators. We prefer to answer questions and queries ourselves.

Maple Psychological Services, Audley House, 13 Palace Street, London, SW1E 5HX

Type of session

In person

Types of client

Young people
Older adults

Key details

Wheelchair user access

Wheelchair user access

Wheelchair-accessible premises should have step-free access for wheelchair users and individuals who are unable to climb stairs. If a Counsellor's premises aren't step-free, they may offer alternative services such as telephone/web-based appointments, home visits, or meeting clients in different location, so you can choose the option that suits you best.

You can contact the Counsellor to discuss the options available.

Under the Equality Act 2010 service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that individuals with disabilities can access their service. You can read more about reasonable adjustments to help you to access services on the CAB website.