Dr Mat King, AFBPsS.
Maple Psychological Services has been based in Victoria for over 15 years and provides individuals and couples with effective, evidence-based and responsive service.
Myself and my colleagues all hold Consultant Psychologist grades within the NHS alongside teaching and training responsibilities.
Clinical experience is key when searching for a psychologist or therapist. All of the psychologists at Maple have over 15 years of experience working with a broad range of mental health difficulties including:
- Panic attacks and phobias
- Relationship and work stress
- Substance misuse problems
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders and co-morbid difficulties.
Training, qualifications & experience
I split my time between Maple, Consultant Psychologist at an NHS Specialist addictions Service in London and Associate Lecturer at the University of Surrey Doctoral Training Courses.
I obtained my first degree in Psychology and Human Biology (Bachelor of Science) from the University of Hertfordshire and a Practitioner’s Doctorate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Psychology from the University of Surrey. I have been awarded the title 'Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society' (AFBPsS). This is given by the BPS in recognition of several years' experience and contribution to the field of psychology.
I have extensive experience in working with people experiencing anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), depression and panic attacks. Having been the Lead Psychologist at a specialist NHS Eating Disorders Service, I have substantial knowledge of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia nervosa. Referrers and patients seek my clinical skills in the treatment of longstanding, chronic, difficulties where there are several key problem areas (comorbidity). Examples of this are eating disorders and addictions whereby the person has co-existing problems such as OCD or personality disorders. I have a special interest in working with people with personality disorders and has undertaken training in specialist evidence-based therapist such as Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), Metallisation Based Therapy (MBT), Schema Focussed Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Fees are between £90 and £150.
Telephone calls and emails are replied to by one of the psychologists at Maple - not receptionists or administrators. We prefer to answer questions and queries ourselves.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Saturday 8am to 9pm.
Types of client