Dr Marco Cortez PhD, MBACP (accred), UKCP - Couples, Individuals and Supervision
Having more than 20 years experience as a psychotherapist, counsellor and coach in London, I have specialised in the field of addiction, bereavement, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, HIV, couple counselling, anger management and set up one of London’s largest substance misuse counselling service.
I work with both individuals and couples employing existential themes and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Whilst having a great deal of knowledge, I maintain a comfortable yet professional relationship with my clients.
Alongside my work as the WDP Psychosocial Therapy Manager and private practice, I work as a coach and used to supervise other therapists at Mind, Turning Point, Lifeline and Addiction. I am also a visiting lecturer at The New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling.
I accept AXA-PPP, Aviva, Cigna, Vitality, WPA, Allianz, Healix and Exeter health insurances.
I also provide group therapy with family, friends and professionals inspired by the Open Dialogue principles.
If you would like to discuss what you might gain from a therapeutic relationship you can make an appointment to see me in the following ways:
Call me on 07880 506565
Training, qualifications & experience
My diverse experience acquired from different counselling settings (NHS and charities) has given me the opportunities to being exposed to a variety of clients’ life issues: trauma, ‘bipolar disorder’, anxiety, suicidal tendencies, family abuse, substance misuse, bereavement, eating disorder, HIV, sexual violence.
I work hard to develop the relationship between clients and myself, aiming to respect individual values and the client’s capacity for self-determination. What is central to my interactions with my clients is that it is their process; my role is mainly to provide a safe, therapeutic space and time to facilitate the clients individual emotional growth.
- 2015 - present WDP Psychosocial Therapy Manager, London
- 2012 - 2013 Clinical Manager, The Seventy4 Foundation, London
- 2006 – 2012 Lead Counsellor, Addaction/Lifeline, London
- 2004 – 2006 Team Leader/Counsellor, Turning Point, London
- 2003 – 2012 Health Team Counsellor, Centrepoint, London
- 2002 – 2003 Counsellor, The Drug and Alcohol Foundation, London
- 2000 – 2004 Drugs and Alcohol Worker, Phoenix House, London
- 1999 – 2003 Project Worker, The Lord Clyde Nightshelter, London
- 1998 – 2004 Counsellor, Camden, City, Islington & Westminster Bereavement Service
- PhD in Psychotherapy and Counselling Studies from the School of Psychotherapy and Counselling at Regents College, London
- Existential Supervision and Group Work Course from the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling, London
- Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy and Counselling from the School of Psychotherapy and Counselling at Regents College, London
- MA in Psychotherapy and Counselling from the School of Psychotherapy and Counselling at Regents College, London
- Certificate in the Fundamentals of Psychotherapy and Counselling from the School of Psychotherapy and Counselling at Regents College, London
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing from University of Advertising and Marketing – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Law Degree from State University of Rio de Janeiro – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My therapy fees are £100 for individuals for a fifty minute session and £120 for couples for a fifty minute session. Some concessions are available for students only - £90.
Coaching sessions are £200 and group sessions £150.
I only ask for 24 hours notice of cancellation and offer early morning, lunchtime and evening appointments.
Concessions offered for
I am a member of SEA, UKCP and BACP and am bound by and adhere to BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I am also an UKCP accredited supervisor.
Skype, WhatsApp or telephone video counselling sessions also available.
I work both in English and Portuguese.