Kay Hoggett BSc (Hons), PGDip, Dip Couns, MBACP, MAC
Sometimes life is challenging and it can help to have someone to talk to. I offer a warm and supportive relationship in which you are the sole focus and subject; it is a confidential and safe space for you to explore and understand any problems or concerns that you may have. Through self exploration, within a professional, non-judgemental relationship, you can come to understand thoughts, feelings and actions that may be limiting you, causing unhappiness or leaving you feeling confused and unfulfilled. Counselling can be the first step towards change and a better, more positive future.
I am a fully qualified and experienced Counsellor and Coach, with a warm, supportive and non judgemental style. My core approach to counselling is known as humanistic and person centred; this means that I see you and your experiences as unique and each counselling relationship as individual. I will draw upon approaches from different 'schools' of counselling, therapy and coaching, depending on what is appropriate and best suits your needs. I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Association for Coaching (AfC).
My experience covers a wide range of issues including anxiety, depression, confidence and self esteem, anger, relationship issues, work issues and issues of loss, grief and life transition. I also specialise in helping people who are struggling with eating disorders and issues around weight management, overweight or obesity - please see 'Further Information' below.
In addition to counselling, I am trained and experienced in management, executive, business and life coaching.
My practice is within easy reach of Market Harborough, Oadby, Wigston, Leicester, Corby, Lutterworth and surrounding villages. I also have a practice in the City of London, close to Bank station and within ten minutes walk of Liverpool Street, St Paul's, Fenchurch Street, Moorgate, Monument, Cannon Street and Mansion House stations.
Often the first step is the most difficult, but it can also be the start of a life changing process. I offer a free initial telephone consultation, and also welcome enquiries by text or email, so please contact me if you have any questions or want to make an appointment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching (University of East London, Psychology Department)
- Master Practitioner Diploma in Eating Disorders (National Centre for Eating Disorders)
- NLP Practitioner Diploma (certified by John Grinder, co-founder of NLP)
- Rewind therapy for Trauma
- Awareness in Bereavement Care
- Working with Anger
- Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders
- Practitioner Skills in Eating Disorders
- Practitioner Skills in Overweight and Obesity
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Working with Children and Young People
- Working with those affected by Sudden and Traumatic Death
- Working with Self Harm
- Working with Eating Disorders
- Exploring the Brain
- Coaching for Health
- Psychological perspectives on leadership
- Extensive management training
- Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours
I am a registered member of both the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Association for Coaching (AfC). These are the principal professional bodies in the UK for counselling and coaching; they have verified my qualifications and experience and have awarded me full memberships. Both organisations have Codes of Ethics, and I am committed to working within these.
I undertake ongoing training to keep my skills up to date, and I am fully insured.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Issues related to food, weight, weight management and obesity
£50 per 50 minute session (Leicestershire)
£75 per 50 minute session (City of London)
Coaching packages of 4 to 10 sessions of 90 minutes - by arrangement
Specialist Support for Eating Disorders and Issues with Weight
- Is your quality of life impacted by worries about the shape or weight of your body?
- Have you been on numerous diets, only to find you cannot maintain the loss, and feel worse afterwards?
- Do you feel you have an unhealthy or unhappy relationship with food?
- do you have a diagnosed or undiagnosed eating disorder?
Let me help you.
An Approach that Works
I have trained with the National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED) , the primary organisation in the UK for understanding and working with people who struggle with these issues. NCfED draws on research studies from the UK and USA into what works, what may get in the way, and, importantly, what doesn't work. One of the key things that doesn't work is a reliance on rules and willpower. This approach, typical in the diet industry, treats human beings like machines - as if a person can simply be programmed to eat less and lose weight. It ignores the fact that people are complex and may
- eat for emotional reasons (we all do sometimes)
- have psychological barriers to weight loss and maintenance (many people do)
- have had physiological responses to repeated cycles of dieting and weight gain (many dieters do)
- lack the information and tools to maintain a healthy weight after dieting (most people lack these)
I will help you to move to a happier relationship with food, eating and weight, using a more holistic approach which encompasses three key elements:
E Looking at your emotional responses to food and any psychological barriers
A Providing accurate, evidence based information on what works and how to use it
T Providing simple tools which you can use to embed more helpful approaches to food and weight
Call me for a free, no-obligation chat about how I can help you.
Be kind to yourself.
If you struggle with these issues, you are not weak willed or a failure.
There is a way forward.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening appointments available in Leicestershire on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays. Daytime and evening appointments available in London on Wednesdays.
Types of client