Kay Hoggett BSc (Hons), PGDip, Dip Couns, MBACP, MAC
Warm, supportive, professional help that works
I am an experienced therapeutic counsellor and coach, with a warm, supportive and non judgemental style. I offer therapy and coaching in the City of London and near Market Harborough. I can help you to overcome difficulties and make positive, meaningful and lasting change in your life. Typically my clients report significant improvements in their enjoyment of and satisfaction with life, having come for support with issues such as:
- stress and burn out
- work/life balance
- relationship issues
- confidence and self esteem
- post natal depression
- adult survivors of child abuse
- overweight and obesity
- eating disorders or issues with food, weight and eating
- anger management
- bereavement and loss
- personal development
I am happy to offer a free 45 minute telephone consultation if you would like to understand more about how I can help you, so please call or email to book your free consultation.
Alongside private practice I work as a volunteer counsellor at a counselling charity, supporting clients who have been referred by NHS or social services or higher education. I also conduct client assessments, matching clients to suitable therapists, and serve as voluntary trustee and director of two charities involved in mental health.
How I can help
My core approach to counselling is known as integrative. This means that I can draw upon approaches from several different 'schools' of counselling and therapy, as well as coaching and NLP, depending on what is appropriate and best suits your needs. Alongside this I focus on building a trusting therapeutic relationship in which you can speak freely. This allows us to look at current and past issues which may be impacting your wellbeing, so that they lose their power and you can develop new perspectives and different patterns of behaviour. This is not a fixed step by step process, but one that develops organically and under your control.
I offer both short and long term therapy, and we will discuss what you might need when we meet or on your free telephone consultation. It can be difficult to know at the beginning exactly what you want or how many sessions you might need, so I will regularly review with you if you are getting what you need from the counselling and whether you wish to continue.
In addition to counselling, I am trained and experienced in management, executive, business and life coaching. I also specialise in helping people who are struggling with eating disorders and issues around weight management, overweight or obesity - please see 'Further Information' below. I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Association for Coaching (AfC) and work within their codes of ethics.
Why I am a counsellor and coach
My transition into coaching and therapy started with two very different experiences in my twenties. I had a successful career and seemingly happy life, but was also struggling for a long time to support someone with severe mental health issues; it was very distressing for both of us. This experience gave me first hand insight into mental health issues, and I started to educate myself about them.
In the same decade I attended a management course at Cranfield Business School which explored the psychology of leadership and prompted my own further study into the factors affecting management and leadership performance. These two experiences are the foundation of a lifelong interest in people and how we function, both at work and in life.
I held a variety of leadership roles in the public sector and in the City, leading large international teams of people, and my greatest interest lay in supporting people to do their best work. When I became a mother I set up my own business providing consultancy, change management and coaching services to large companies.
During this time I invested in my own self awareness and personal growth through periods of therapy, coaching and training that I found hugely beneficial. Today I am privileged to enjoy a wonderful variety of rewarding work, both privately and as a volunteer, supporting people who are looking for therapy and coaching that works.
My Leicestershire practice is within easy reach of Market Harborough, Oadby, Wigston, Leicester, Corby, Lutterworth and surrounding villages.
My City of London practice is very close to Bank station and within ten minutes walk of Liverpool Street, St Paul's, Fenchurch Street, Moorgate, Monument, Cannon Street and Mansion House stations.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Coaching (University of East London, Psychology Department)
- Master Practitioner Diploma in Eating Disorders (National Centre for Eating Disorders)
- NLP Practitioner Diploma (certified by John Grinder, co-founder of NLP)
- Rewind therapy for Trauma
- Certificate in Awareness in Bereavement Care
- Working with Anger
- Working with Adult Survivors of Child Abuse
- Certificate in Nutritional Interventions for Eating Disorders
- Diploma in Practitioner Skills in Eating Disorders
- Diploma in Practitioner Skills in Overweight and Obesity
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Working with Children and Young People
- Working with those affected by Sudden and Traumatic Death
- Working with Self Harm
- Exploring the Brain (Neuroscience)
- Coaching for Health
- Psychological perspectives on leadership
- Extensive management training
- Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours
I am a registered member of both the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Association for Coaching (AfC). These are the principal professional bodies in the UK for counselling and coaching; they have verified my qualifications and experience and have awarded me full memberships. Both organisations have Codes of Ethics, and I am committed to working within these.
I undertake ongoing training to keep my skills up to date, and I am fully insured.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Issues related to food, weight, weight management and obesity
£65 per 55-60 minute session (Leicestershire)
£85 per 55-60 minute session (City of London)
I also offer personal development coaching and leadership coaching. Sessions are 90 minutes and are normally at 2-4 weekly intervals.
Specialist Support for Eating Disorders and Issues with Weight
- Is your quality of life impacted by worries about the shape or weight of your body?
- Have you been on numerous diets, only to find you cannot maintain the loss, and feel worse afterwards?
- Do you feel you have an unhealthy or unhappy relationship with food?
- do you have a diagnosed or undiagnosed eating disorder?
Let me help you.
An Approach that Works
I have trained with the National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED) , the primary organisation in the UK for understanding and working with people who struggle with these issues. NCfED draws on research studies from the UK and USA into what works, what may get in the way, and, importantly, what doesn't work. One of the key things that doesn't work is a reliance on rules and willpower. This approach, typical in the diet industry, treats human beings like machines - as if a person can simply be programmed to eat less and lose weight. It ignores the fact that people are complex and may
- eat for emotional reasons (we all do sometimes)
- have psychological barriers to weight loss and maintenance (many people do)
- have had physiological responses to repeated cycles of dieting and weight gain (many dieters do)
- lack the information and tools to maintain a healthy weight after dieting (most people lack these)
I will help you to move to a happier relationship with food, eating and weight, using a more holistic approach which encompasses three key elements:
E Looking at your emotional responses to food and any psychological barriers
A Providing accurate, evidence based information on what works and how to use it
T Providing simple tools which you can use to embed more helpful approaches to food and weight
Call me for a free, no-obligation chat about how I can help you.
Be kind to yourself.
If you struggle with these issues, you are not weak willed or a failure.
There is a way forward.
- Also registered with Life Coach Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening appointments available in Leicestershire on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays. Daytime and evening appointments available in London on Wednesdays.
Types of client