Kalpna Hirani, (Dip. Couns. MBACP) Adult/young person counsellor/psychotherapist
I am a qualified and experienced therapeutic counsellor, registered member of The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). My practice is governed by their Ethical Framework, ensuring that I am always working to promote your well-being.
For many years I've been a therapist. I am deeply passionate about helping and supporting people in making real positive changes in their lives.
I imagine that if you are reading this, you may have recognised that you are at a point in your life where you need support. We all need a little support when events or circumstances overwhelm us. You do not have to struggle on your own, together we’ll find a way forward so you can live a fulfilled life.
How I can help - I offer a respectful safe space and a warm environment to enable you to feel safe enough to talk freely, openly and in confidence. I will listen without judgment and help you to explore your issues.
Having the opportunity to talk things through in a safe environment will allow you to freely explore your thoughts and feelings. This also helps you to focus, gain a better understanding of yourself and of why you're experiencing difficulties and have some clarity. When we make the connections to the root of difficult patterns of thoughts and behaviours, we begin to realise we can facilitate change.
I can help uncover your strengths and assist you in learning new skills that will allow you to deal with your struggles and cope better with the challenges that arise in life. My commitment to you is to support and empower you to overcome challenges and achieve your aims.
What I can help with - As an experienced counsellor, I have worked with many people struggling with a wide range of concerns such as:
- Stress, Anxiety / generalised anxiety disorder and Panic attacks
- Poor patterns of behaviour, intrusive thoughts, overthinking and unsettling feelings.
- Anger management
- Depression, feeling sad, Isolation/loneliness and sleep issues
- Low self esteem and low confidence
- Major life changes - such as change at work or career, illness, personal loss, bereavement and grief, environmental shifts, menopause, loss of purpose, status or responsibility and challenges that come with relocation.
Work related issues - such as stress, career change, redundancy, conflict, dealing with challenges that come with retirement, burnout, illness and bullying
- Relationship difficulties – You might be having relationship or family issues or with your friends? Or perhaps you feel there's something missing because you don't have these relationships at all. We can talk about all aspects of relationships and how you feel about them.
- Student life - Student life can be challenging and I am experienced in supporting young people with the stress and anxiety of exams and education, relationships, and social media.
- Personal Development – such as feelings of unworthiness, confidence issues, shame for not being like how you imagined yourself, doubting yourself or exploring ways to take better care of yourself and live a happy and fulfilled life
- Culture related issues - Expatriate & Multicultural Counselling
- Menopause and Infertility – fertility treatment
- Chronic pain
- Issues relating to parenting
I am aware that every individual comes with their unique complexities and histories so I tailor my approach to your specific needs.
I use Person-centred approach as a basis of my counselling practice which means my approach is non judgemental and I work with integrity, congruence, empathy and compassion.
My training in numerous different approaches enables me to bring together elements of different theories and ways of working such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis etc and I can work creatively using materials to ensure that my approach is flexible and tailored to the needs of each individual.
I will be there to guide you to achieve your aims by providing a personalised approach in supporting you with your emotional wellbeing and personal development.
What I offer
I can offer face to face/in person sessions and also Walk and Talk/Outdoor therapy in Rickmansworth (WD3) near Watford, Hertfordshire. My location is within easy reach of Rickmansworth station, and the M25. It is on the Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire border and also convenient for those in Ruislip, Pinner, Northwood, Watford, Denham, Uxbridge, Chalfont, Sarratt, Amersham and St Albans.
During COVID 19 pandemic, I am also offering online counselling and psychotherapy sessions for those further afield including South East London (SE1).
[Feel free to follow my professional Instagram: @wellness_thinking for regular posts on emotional wellbeing].
Training, qualifications & experience
I'm a qualified Counsellor and Psychotherapist; and Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). My practice is governed by their Ethical Framework, ensuring that I am always working to promote your well-being.
I have undertaken specialist training in using neuroscience for mental health and I have regular continuous professional development which helps to keep me up to date in the field of wellbeing.
- I have had training and experience in various modalities which enables me to use various approaches, such as Person-centred approach, Transactional Analysis, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Neuroscience for Effective Clinical Practice and when I consider it suitable, I invite clients to work creatively to aid deeper exploration of their issues.
- Transactional Analysis 101
- Certificate in telephone and online counselling and psychotherapy
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling/ Foundation Degree
- Certificate in CBT
- Anxiety UK - I have undergone Anxiety UK's training and work as an Anxiety UK approved counsellor for adults and young people.
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Certificate of Proficiency - British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Cruse bereavement care is the leading national charity for bereaved people. I have had Cruse training to work with issues relating to bereavement, loss and grief.
- Certificate in Counselling Children and Young People - I have training and experience in counselling children and young people and I hold an enhanced DBS certificate for working with young people and vulnerable people.
- Safeguarding Level 3 certificate - This is training that all healthcare staff (including GPs and Registered Nurses) involved in assessing and evaluating safeguarding concerns of children, young people and adults, must have.
- Special interests - I have a long-standing interest in neuroscience which informs my practice. I am passionate about about enhancing emotional wellbeing in workplaces and in 2018, I carried out primary research in this area.
My work experience:
- Link is a young people’s counselling service for ages 13 to 25, which is part of the Hillingdon Council's Social Care Directorate's Children and Young People's Services division. I worked here for 2.5years as a counsellor providing 1 to 1 counselling and Mental health workshops for teenagers and young people.
- Signpost - a charity in Hertfordshire which provides counselling, coaching and other support to help young people and families. I provide parent support and coaching, helping to develop a plan to address any challenges they maybe facing, offering tools and guidance. I also work as a counsellor here, providing therapy to children and young people (13-25years of age).
- Anxiety UK counsellor
- 6th Form Counsellor at a private school - since January 2021 to present
It can feel scary to take the first step to reach out but learning to cope in healthier ways can make doing so more than worthwhile.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £50.00 to £70.00
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
I will treat what you share with respect & confidentiality. Simply text, or email to set up an appointment.
I normally offer new clients a free 15 minutes consultation. I invite you to arrange this by getting in touch. The consultation gives you an opportunity to ask me any questions you may have and for us to decide if we are a good fit to work together. We can explore what I can offer and the support you are looking for.
Before your free consultation, it will be helpful for you to read through the information on my website as this will give you some additional information before we talk. https://www.wellness-thinking.com
Cost varies from £50 - £70. Typically, the charge is £50, for long-term weekly ongoing work for 1 to 1 session.
If you are struggling financially, please feel free to ask for concessionary rates - I have a few day time slots I can offer at a lower rate. Please contact me to confirm charges as my fees vary according to circumstances.
The sooner you get help, the faster you can get back to enjoying life.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & TRAINING
- Neuroscience in therapy
- Personalising psychotherapy
- Working with socially anxious clients
- Counselling Children And Young People
- A Pluralistic Approach to Therapy
- Working using creative techniques
- Children & Young People Safeguarding
- Addressing Suicide & Risk Online and Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicide (CAMS)
- Polyvagal Theory and Neuroscience in practice
- Working With Trauma
- Transactional Analysis and the Brain
- CBT With Heart with Dr Adrian Hemmings
- Training In Gestalt Therapy
- Procrastination and imposter syndrome
- Resilience Training, Philadelphia University – Ongoing
- Goals In Therapy
- Science of Wellbeing, Yale university – Ongoing
- Eating Disorders
- Effective Anger Management
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- The Inner Critic
- Supporting Young People: A CYPT -IAPT Programme
- The Psychotherapy of Shame
- Cultural Awareness, Human diversity and Power in the therapy room
- Our Experience of Transference in the Therapy Room
- Working with bullying
- Working with Co-dependency in Psychotherapeutic Practice